Final Decision

singh2k

no i do not smoke, and i dont see anything bad with it as its the same situation as drinking.

look, i'll just make this clear, i don't belive in guruji, god, or the infinite as much as other people. I do belive in it, but i'm not DEPENDENT on it. life is what you make out of it. god isn't there to judge you, or to make a miracle for you. what matters most is the majority, the majority is there to judge you.

i know of many sikhs that have turban and smoke, theyre mixed in the western world, and thats what I mean, sikhs are religious people, its not just any ordinary religion where you can do whatever you want and call yourself a sikh at the same time.

Guest Narinder Singh
ਬਾਈਸ ਚਉਪਦੇ ਤਥਾ ਪੰਚਪਦੇ ਆਸਾ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀਉ ਕੇ ਤਿਪਦੇ 8 ਦੁਤੁਕੇ 7 ਇਕਤੁਕਾ 1

baaees choupadhae thathhaa pa(n)chapadhae aasaa sree kabeer jeeo kae thipadhae 8 dhuthukae 7 eikathukaa 1

22 Chau-Paday And Panch-Paday, Aasaa Of Kabeer Jee, 8 Tri-Paday, 7 Du-Tukay, 1 Ik-Tuka:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

ik oa(n)kaar sathigur prasaadh ||

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਬਿੰਦੁ ਤੇ ਜਿਨਿ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਕੀਆ ਅਗਨਿ ਕੁੰਡ ਰਹਾਇਆ ॥

bi(n)dh thae jin pi(n)dd keeaa agan ku(n)dd rehaaeiaa ||

The Lord created the body from sperm, and protected it in the fire pit.

ਦਸ ਮਾਸ ਮਾਤਾ ਉਦਰਿ ਰਾਖਿਆ ਬਹੁਰਿ ਲਾਗੀ ਮਾਇਆ ॥1॥

dhas maas maathaa oudhar raakhiaa bahur laagee maaeiaa ||1||

For ten months He preserved you in your mother's womb, and then, after you were born, you became attached to Maya. ||1||

ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਕਾਹੇ ਕਉ ਲੋਭਿ ਲਾਗੇ ਰਤਨ ਜਨਮੁ ਖੋਇਆ ॥

praanee kaahae ko lobh laagae rathan janam khoeiaa ||

O mortal, why have you attached yourself to greed, and lost the jewel of life?

ਪੂਰਬ ਜਨਮਿ ਕਰਮ ਭੂਮਿ ਬੀਜੁ ਨਾਹੀ ਬੋਇਆ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

poorab janam karam bhoom beej naahee boeiaa ||1|| rehaao ||

You did not plant the seeds of good actions in the earth of your past lives. ||1||Pause||

ਬਾਰਿਕ ਤੇ ਬਿਰਧਿ ਭਇਆ ਹੋਨਾ ਸੋ ਹੋਇਆ ॥

baarik thae biradhh bhaeiaa honaa so hoeiaa ||

From an infant, you have grown old. That which was to happen, has happened.

ਜਾ ਜਮੁ ਆਇ ਝੋਟ ਪਕਰੈ ਤਬਹਿ ਕਾਹੇ ਰੋਇਆ ॥2॥

jaa jam aae jhott pakarai thabehi kaahae roeiaa ||2||

When the Messenger of Death comes and grabs you by your hair, why do you cry out then? ||2||

ਜੀਵਨੈ ਕੀ ਆਸ ਕਰਹਿ ਜਮੁ ਨਿਹਾਰੈ ਸਾਸਾ ॥

jeevanai kee aas karehi jam nihaarai saasaa ||

You hope for long life, while Death counts your breaths.

ਬਾਜੀਗਰੀ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਕਬੀਰਾ ਚੇਤਿ ਢਾਲਿ ਪਾਸਾ ॥3॥1॥23॥

baajeegaree sa(n)saar kabeeraa chaeth dtaal paasaa ||3||1||23||

The world is a game, O Kabeer, so throw the dice consciously. ||3||1||23||

ਮੀਤ ਸਖੇ ਕੇਤੇ ਜਗ ਮਾਹੀ ॥

meeth sakhae kaethae jag maahee ||

You may have many friends and companions in the world,

ibnu gur prmysr koeI nwhI ]

bin gur paramaesar koee naahee ||

but without the Guru, the Transcendent Lord Incarnate, there is no one at all.

ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਪਰਾਇਣਿ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਕੀਨਾ ਹੇ ॥11॥

gur kee saevaa mukath paraaein anadhin keerathan keenaa hae ||11||

Service to the Guru is the way to liberation. Night and day, sing the Kirtan of the Lord's Praises. ||11||

ਕੂੜੁ ਛੋਡਿ ਸਾਚੇ ਕਉ ਧਾਵਹੁ ॥

koorr shhodd saachae ko dhhaavahu ||

Abandon falsehood, and pursue the Truth,

ਜੋ ਇਛਹੁ ਸੋਈ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਵਹੁ ॥

jo eishhahu soee fal paavahu ||

and you shall obtain the fruits of your desires.

ਸਾਚ ਵਖਰ ਕੇ ਵਾਪਾਰੀ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਲੈ ਲਾਹਾ ਸਉਦਾ ਕੀਨਾ ਹੇ ॥12॥

saach vakhar kae vaapaaree viralae lai laahaa soudhaa keenaa hae ||12||

Very few are those who trade in the merchandise of Truth. Those who deal in it, obtain the true profit. ||12||

(A quote from a Shabad by Guru Nanak Dev Ji in Raag Maaroo on Pannaa 1027)

d_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gif

When i think ive finally realized how beautiful and amazing Gurbani is i'm proven wrong time and time again...what advice can moorakhs like me give after this?

Dhan dhan dhan dhan dhan Jagat Guru Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj... pray.gif

go ahead buddy .... but just remember u will get next chance after 84 lakh lives ....

like a student after giving his exam says hope i would have studied instead of playing and watching tv .... i could have got better marks ... he realise it after his while giving his exam not when watching tv .... same is with our life .... u will realise it when u will be few seconds away from death .... that what have u done in life ....

anyways enjoy ur life ... if u feel your turban a weight over ur head better remove it ... then wearing it ...

once god gave a utensil full of water to a saint and said make a round of this world and come back but beware not even a single drop should be droped to the land .... the saint took it and come to earth while moving he saw girls dancing but couldnt stoped he saw men fighting but coudnt stop he saw many things which attracted him .... but his mind was all in the utensil of water ... and finaly he reached back to god and god said god work but why didnt u get involved in the work of this earth u have seen girls dancing u could have enjoyed it by stoping there for some time ...

saint said i have seen but how could my mind enjoy when its 100 % involved in that utensil that not even a single drop should droped out .... every one here has a utensil ....

akal sat sri akal gurbar akal

kesh are stamp of guru ....

go ahead buddy .... but just remember u will get next chance after 84 lakh lives ....

like a student after giving his exam says hope i would have studied instead of playing and watching tv .... i could have got better marks ... he realise it after his while giving his exam not when watching tv .... same is with our life .... u will realise it when u will be few seconds away from death .... that what have u done in life ....

anyways enjoy ur life ... if u feel your turban a weight over ur head better remove it ... then wearing it ...

once god gave a utensil full of water to a saint and said make a round of this world and come back but beware not even a single drop should be droped to the land .... the saint took it and come to earth while moving he saw girls dancing but couldnt stoped he saw men fighting but coudnt stop he saw many things which attracted him .... but his mind was all in the utensil of water ... and finaly he reached back to god and god said god work but why didnt u get involved in the work of this earth u have seen girls dancing u could have enjoyed it by stoping there for some time ...

saint said i have seen but how could my mind enjoy when its 100 % involved in that utensil that not even a single drop should droped out .... every one here has a utensil ....

akal sat sri akal gurbar akal

kesh are stamp of guru ....

I dont like that story :D

life is what you make out of it. god isn't there to judge you, or to make a miracle for you. what matters most is the majority, the majority is there to judge you

Veerji, society will always want you to change. After cutting hair then what? The clothes you wear? The way you walk? The way you sit? And even if you "manage" to please them in every way..

..Will they help you when you are down?

Sukh Me Bau Sangi Bhaye, Dukh Me Sang Na Koi

Everyone is with you in happiness, no-one comes close to you when you are sad.

People living within society - folowing its every move.. I feel sorry for them. They are sheeps.

"We want freedom that's all" is what they say when we talk about religion. But then 2 minutes later they sit in their cars and go home using streets and stopping at traffic lights. They follow traffic rules. The clothes they wear are determined by fashion. What freedom is that? Their "religion" is society - Which doesnt end up helping you when you need it most!

To me, before I got into Sikhi, i was living a meaningless life. Keeping hair coz parents said. Going gurdwara to chill outside and talk about RDB etc (the old days lol) What did i get out of it? When I needed them the most - they weren;t there. They didn't gimme jack <banned word filter activated>.

Sikhi gave me a goal. SIkhi gave me ambition. Ambition to become the perfect being. Khalsa is soo soo perfect.. *sighs*

Without Sikhi I am nothing. All these fights I have, all the battles of my mind.. They make me stronger. No matter how low I get I always come out higher than ever. Then I look back and thank Guru Ji for bringing me up to this stage.

I'm not perfect, but like oether I'm onn the path Guru Jis kirpa. I trip, but Guru Ji picks me up and helps me.

You know.. theres a reason why you feel this way.. maybe you'll come out stronger than ever!

Remember: rubbing a surface with a soft sponge doesnt make it smooth. Rubbing that surface with a hard rough sand paper makes it nice and smooth.

Take home message: Just chillax :D

sigh.......................................

work hard, make money, live according to society, you're right guru ji sipahi. that's the kind of sikh i am. in the end none of this will be with me, thats right. but what can i do, i have no inspiration on sikhi. and every sikh i know that lives out of punjab, it seems like theyre living according to the society as well.

Do whatever you think is best. At the end of the day you have to live with yourself and nobody else :D

However, I totally disagree with your insinuation that you can't be western and Sikh. If there is anywhere in the World that has recognised Guru Nanak's path, it is the West. To take 2 of the examples mentioned here (and just 2 minor examples used in an academic paper presented earlier this year on this topic) alcohol and tobacco are widely used in the East and there are no barriers to excessive use or restrictions on supply and distribution. The West labels both as being harmful to your health and restricts their availability to certain times and to certain ages.

You should do what you feel is right. But don't make excuses that insult those of us who are Western and Sikh. No offence intended young man :D