Pictures - Is It Idol Worship?

I think some people aren't fully understanding what Veer ji was asking, and what some people's responses were.

If you have pictures of Guru Ji's in your house, its is absolutely fine to "respect" them. But to take mathaa etc. to the paintins is idol worship.

idol worship - the worship of idols; the worship of images that are not God

You should have respect for these paintins in your mind, but one shouldn't worship a painting, after all, how are we so positive thats what our Guru Ji looked like? One cannot let these things become a ritual.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY FINE TO HAVE PICTURES, until/unless one is becoming ritualistic and/or "worshipping" them.

These are my opinions, I am not saying anyone is correct/incorrect.

Bhulla chuck maaf karni.

WJKK WJKF

Gurfateh!!

Keeping pictures of the Gurus is wrong, there is no true picture of how any of the Gurus looked.

The Gurus reiterated the message of focussing on what they said and not how they looked.

Therefore it makes more sense to to have Shabads up, then feel free to bow as Bani is your Guru.

Also people will say having pictures can help you focus on God, however having a Shabad up will encourage you to read It which is even better.

:TH:

(ps. i have read a Shabad or it could have been a rehit from a rehitnama which says you shouldm't keep pictures of the Gurus, does anyone else know of this? :) @ )

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!

I think some people aren't fully understanding what Veer ji was asking, and what some people's responses were.

If you have pictures of Guru Ji's in your house, its is absolutely fine to "respect" them. But to take mathaa etc. to the paintins is idol worship.

You should have respect for these paintins in your mind, but one shouldn't worship a painting, after all, how are we so positive thats what our Guru Ji looked like? One cannot let these things become a ritual.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY FINE TO HAVE PICTURES, until/unless one is becoming ritualistic and/or "worshipping" them.

Bhulla chuck maaf karni.

WJKK WJKF

WaheguruJiKaKhalsa WaheguruJiKiFateh

Bhai Sahib, Thank you, I appreciate your comments.

The reason I asked the said question is because, as a youth I like many other's was guilty of blind worshipping / followed Sikhi by the example of my family. However as I and my understanding of Sikhi and other world religions has developed over the years, I have found certain aspects previously taken as "Gospel" (Excuse the Pun) to contradict my findings. When I have questioned the "Ritualistic" actions being performed and requested answers to questions like:

1. How do you know that these pictures you "Do your ardas to, or that fill your heart with Joy" are actually of any of the Gurus.

2. If you need something to visualise on when doing Simran or Ardas etc. Then why do you not focus on Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ek OngKar or ever The Khanda?

3. If the Pictures are Sikh Art and designed as a representation of our History, then Why do you drape these images with Garlands / Haar's and light Thoof's etc.

No one was able to provide me with a definitive answer (in line with Sikhi) to justify their actions.

I am in no position to Judge anyone, so please forgive me if it seems like I am but if these things do not get said then forums like this are pointless. Anyway, looking at some of the other posts it seems that there are a number of differing perspectives / understanding of what idol worship is.

WikiPedia defines Idol Worship as: "Idol worship is the worship of an inanimate object purported to have supernatural properties, and even to have a distinct personality. Although this is considered to be Idolatry by Christians, Muslims and Jews, it not considered so in several other religions."

So from the above, it seems like some of us are actually engaging in Idol Worship.

Thought! - Just because some "Baba, Sant or Jatha Pandi" tell's you that something is Right, does it make it Right? Or just because you have carried out the same action for years, does that make those actions correct?

I know that our intention's go along way for our actions but at the point we find out our previous actions we're incorrect, what do we do? Does our Ego kick in and not let us admit that we we're wrong? - Just a thought!

Does anyone have any Gurbani relative to this thread please?

Fateh

We have pictures of Guru Ji's and gurudware and that around our house, i see nothing wrong with it, before i leave the house every morning i always stand infront of Guru Ji's picture haath jor ke and jus ask to go out do my thing come back safely and for peace and love for everyone, i dnt do matha tek or none n i don't see nothing wrong with this cus im not idol worshipping, asking Guru Ji to keep me safe no harm in it...! End of day Guru Ji is every where i can jus stand on a spot and say a prayer aslong as Guru Ji knows my truth and im right i am happy with what i am doing :cool:

Fateh

LOL! - This is the EXACT definition of idolatry!

'' i am happy with what i am doing'' You might be, BUT Guru ji is not! - But if you think you're right, who is the Guru to question and teach you eh..... :)

We have no pictures of the 'Guru' at home - Only of historical Gurdwaras.

Yes it is idol worshipping.

says the person who thinks our Gurus carried out manmat!!! LOL.gif

Hang on, banning their saroops would fit in with that idea wouldnt it!!!

I have saroops of guru ji at home and i do not think it is manmat at all, it is simply a a way to help us remember Waheguru and focus our prayer. Tell me what is wrong with having pictures of our Gurus? Next people will say that bowing to Guru Granth Sahib will be manmat, in the same sense as they are saying sukhasan of guruji is manmat. - Do you see this worrying trend....... :sady:

Enlighten me??

As for the pictures, read SGGS and then tell me what it states. - I get annoyed by people who claim to be 'Sikh' but don't know the contents of the SGGS!

I am in no position to Judge anyone, so please forgive me if it seems like I am but if these things do not get said then forums like this are pointless. Anyway, looking at some of the other posts it seems that there are a number of differing perspectives / understanding of what idol worship is.

Veer. Learn the SGGS and all will be clear. - Nothing is left un-explained in the SGGS.

If you're looking for answers from those that participate in rituals you'll never learn the reasons of why they do this.

SGGS is the GURU for a purpose! :nihungsmile:

our gurus didnt even look like what they make pictures of .... moreover i dont wanna comment on them .... beacuse it would be what i think not the gurus mat ....

according to our granths we have real pictures made of only three gurus ....

guru hargobind sahib ....

guru tegh bahadar sahib

guru gobind singh sahib ....

guru hargobind sahibs painting was made by baba biddi chand ji ..... its on plane yellowish white paper with just a black kalam ... no colours .... its kept with the gaddi of baba biddi chand ji at there gurudwara in there village .... it dont have copy or photo graph clicked .... its even said that even if u click the photo graph it will not come out ....

when guru tegh bahadar sahib went to far east ... now know as bangladesh .... in dhaka there is an asthan of guru sahib and i small gurudwara is there now .... there was a old lady who was shardalu of guru sahib .... madly in bhakti and naam simren .... till guru sahib was there in dhaka she use to come every day for the darshan being old and sick ...

when guru sahib decided to leave she requested them that is old and sick and can die every day .... so if they can stay there till she is alive .... but guru sahib said its not possible ... so finaly the lady called a painter to make picture ... all the body was but the painter couldnt able to make the face ... he tried many times ... so guru sahib made the face himself with his on hands ....

and its said and clearly written in all the puratan granths that the picture winked his eyes till the lady was alive ....

and till 1940 - 1950 or 1970 i dont remember the year there was no guru granth sahib sroop at that asthan .... only this picture was worshiped by people there ....

and the painting copy of the orignal is kept at sees ganj sahib in delhi .... and people bow before it with full sharda ....

guru gobind singh jis painting was made on the request mughal king bahadur shah and the orignal is kept at patna sahib just in front of shri guru granth sahib ....

and all the three pictures and even there copies are being given full respect with matha teak .... and i dont think its wrong ....

Bhulla chuck maaf karni.

WJKK WJKF

Bhai Sahib, Thank you, I appreciate your comments.

The reason I asked the said question is because, as a youth I like many other's was guilty of blind worshipping / followed Sikhi by the example of my family. However as I and my understanding of Sikhi and other world religions has developed over the years, I have found certain aspects previously taken as "Gospel" (Excuse the Pun) to contradict my findings. When I have questioned the "Ritualistic" actions being performed and requested answers to questions like:

1. How do you know that these pictures you "Do your ardas to, or that fill your heart with Joy" are actually of any of the Gurus.

2. If you need something to visualise on when doing Simran or Ardas etc. Then why do you not focus on Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, Ek OngKar or ever The Khanda?

3. If the Pictures are Sikh Art and designed as a representation of our History, then Why do you drape these images with Garlands / Haar's and light Thoof's etc.

No one was able to provide me with a definitive answer (in line with Sikhi) to justify their actions.

WikiPedia defines Idol Worship as: "Idol worship is the worship of an inanimate object purported to have supernatural properties, and even to have a distinct personality. Although this is considered to be Idolatry by Christians, Muslims and Jews, it not considered so in several other religions."

So from the above, it seems like some of us are actually engaging in Idol Worship.

Thought! - Just because some "Baba, Sant or Jatha Pandi" tell's you that something is Right, does it make it Right? Or just because you have carried out the same action for years, does that make those actions correct?

I know that our intention's go along way for our actions but at the point we find out our previous actions we're incorrect, what do we do? Does our Ego kick in and not let us admit that we we're wrong? - Just a thought!

Does anyone have any Gurbani relative to this thread please?

I understand what you you mean completely veer ji, and i agree totally. The statement you stated that i made blue and bold is exactly what i am talking about though. When we hang garlands and/or lights around a painting of "Guru ji", its becomes ritualistic and idoltry.

kaahae rae ban khojan jaaee ||

Why do you go looking for Him in the forest?

sarab nivaasee sadhaa alaepaa thohee sa(n)g samaaee ||1|| rehaao ||

Although he is unattached, he dwells everywhere. He is always with you as your companion. ||1||Pause||

We should not need pictures. Waheguru ji dwells everywhere. We just need to find the path, and the best way, is the Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

If i have offended anyone, I am truyl sorry.

Bhulla chuk maaf karni

WJKK WJKF