Family Vs Religion

missraagni

..to me family comes first no matter what. no amount of religeous pressure can change that.but saying that isn't there a ...

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Except when you take amrit, Guru Gobind singh becomes your father. And as Gurbani says:

dyiK kutMbu moih loBwxw clidAw nwil n jweI ]

dhaekh kootanb mohi lobhaanaa chaladhiaa naal n jaaee ||

Beholding your family, you are lured away by emotional attachment, but when you leave, they will not go with you.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

no disrespect...but what about your actuall biological fathar...noone could ever replace him.not in my heart or mind.guruji will always be "a" heavenly father but how can you say dat once you have amrit your true father has no meaning...dats jus crazy.

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

ask guru sahib! :) He says no...

and like khalsa4ver posted Guru sahib's words, it is our emotional attachment that lead us to think that way. The false illusion. do they have any meaning? of course they do. but saying that "FAMILY" comes before religion is not what sikh would say.

Sikhs...or spiritual beings have denied their worldly families many times for their belove(waheguru). read Sakhis of naam dev ji(telling his mother that she is not his mother because she was telling him to accept "god" of Muslim to save his life; our Guru sahib jis(Guru Nanak Dev ji leaving family to help the world know the truth), Guru Gobind Singh ji giving his whole family for RELIGION!(if u wanna call sikhi a religion)

reflect on the reality of things....we need to see the munn (mind/heart) in our selves and see that we are diff from this body. WE AREN'T THE BODY! we live in this world as a GUST just as if we were going somewhere, we would rest in a motel or in an inn for a night etc. we know it an't our real home we have to go to our destination. Guru sahib explains this very well! we just here for very lil amount of time.

Guru sahib has to remind me everyday because i am a bhullan haarr(forgetful) and get tangled in this illusion thinking its real.

i know it is hard to let go of our old habits or thoughts. even Guru sahib knows that and slowly we start to understand!

does this mean u start not liking ur parents or give u a license to not respect or listen to ur parents etc? no!

its about balancing (in my opinion)...living a temporal life as well as spiritual one. it is not easy to let go of attachment ..if it was Guru sahib would have never said :

" Night and day, performing devotional worship, day and night, ego and emotional attachment are removed. And then, attuned to Him, we become like Him, truly absorbed in the True One. " - (S. Guru Granth Sahib ji, 65)

dont live ur life according to what u just see, look deeper and ask questions! we all wanna live the BEST LIFE EVER! im dont think there is anyone who doesn't want to live that way. Guru sahib tells us how to live that way and not learn things the hard way. He is the best father, mother, brother, sister, friend....one could ever have or ask for!

i can write and write but if ur mind is not yet set to learn, it an't open...my writen to explain teh things to u wont serve u any good. it would be just waste of ur time(NOT MINE i love writing cuz it helps me ask my self questions) most of us go through the same stuff....and its just hard to execpt that we an't gonna live here forevr and the people we some how have ended up loving more thn our selves will vanish.

I love my parents, and people(friends etc) whom i have grown to love so much...but with guru sahib ji's kirpa i know that if they stand between the TRUTH/my dharam...i have to do the right thing and let go of um. people back inthedays and even now have no problem with breaking ties with those who are wrong.

nonez anyones lol i mean our "own" body an't ours let alone others lolz

bhul chuk muaf karni

if i said anything that doesn't go along with Sikhi please let me know cuz im on the same path as others.(Don't be afraid of tellin others about their mistakes or the wrong doings cuz u be doing a good deed;helpin)

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!!

Guest Khalsa Productions

their are many parents who have kids and then absue them, beat em etc... how can that child respect or lvoe their parents then?

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

exactly

well you should still respect and love your parents/carers/fammily but its hard

But the best answer to that is Naam Japu :)

and you have many phisical farthers (reancorantion) but only one sole provider

D is for the Dear Lord Vaheguru Ji

who is theone sole provider for the whole creation

there is no limit to his giveing

his countless stors are filled to overflowin

from whom we recieve our norushmen let us celabrate him

O Nanak no one can issue command to the dear lord master Vaheguru Ji

let us offer prays instead

seak one sole provider, you will be blessed with everything and all your wishes will be fulfilled

medetate one the one sole vaheguru ji with mind body each breath and morsel

O dear almight god vaheguru ji my the love of you name be exalted threw guru nanak and may all prosper acording to your will

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

FAMILY often pull you back from being a true sikh. OFten because they want to be protective of the ones they love. OFten parents needlessly worrying too much about their children. e.e. they dont want them to get into trouble ect for defending the sikh koum.

Those that draw u away from God are not family,

Those that aid u in getting closer to God, those are family..

waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

this is my first post and I was hoping whether any of you could give my advice on my personal issues.

I am from a staunch ramgharia family even though i don't consider myself as ramgharia. Over the years i feel i have started to drift away from my immediate family beacuse of my strong belief in my faith. family meaning, my parents, brother, sister-in-law,my husband's side of the family. Me and my husband and my two children feel that our way of thinking about Sikhi does not agree with the rest of the family and now we feel more attached to Waheguru, but had to sacrifice our close relationship with our relatives. Regarding the doc's latest post on ramgharia gurudwaras I felt totally in assent to his article and when my family asked my opinion I had to agree with the article which totally upset them. I feel strongly that our gurus teachings, messages are far too important to be taken lightly or ignored and this I feel offends my family because they feel I should agree with them because they are older than me and i should be showing them respect. When I attend nanaksar gurudwara in Birmingham I think it is so beautiful that there is no differentiation between caste there. No one cares if one is ramgharia or jhat, everyone is equal , no jaath paath. My husband, children and I alll took Amrit around 4 years ago and we did not have any problems. In nanaksar everything is provided for you, our kachereh were made in exactly our sizes! My daughter is 13 years old and my son is 8 years old and with Waheguru's kirpa both can read the bani and do kirtan. At the nanaksar gurudwara after the children learnt punjabi they are then shown how to read and do their nitnem, then children are all allocated to do roal di seva every week as they is always regular sampat paaths and akandpaaths. Over the years I know I have drifted from the main families but feel i have a spiritual family at the gurudwara where my beliefs are respected and shared. I feel everyone is born with a purpose in life and you know you are fulfilling your prupose when you feel satisfied with what you are doing and I feel content when I use my time given by God around my children and husband. My lifestyle with my family is totally different from the rest of the family when we do have together for a whatever function , it gets very awkward. Most of the time we feel we have to always go along with their conversation but they have no interest in our point of view. Sometimes i feel we make them feel awkward or insecure and for them to get over their insecurities they try to find faults in us. I don't think we are a threat to anyone we are just an ordinary family who wants to live the gursikhi way. Sometimes I am put in a dilemma if my parents express an opinion on Sikhi which i feel is wrong for example caste systems. I find it hard just to ignore and want to really explain to them the gursikhi way, but we always seem to get into confrontation and they will say to me if i was trying to be religious then i should respect the parents first. and not go against them. What do you guys think?

Sometimes my husband will say just along with them to keep the peace but I feel if i do that I feel I am betraying my faith, my love to my guru. I can't bear anyone misinterpreting our guru's teachings for their own personal needs to make their lives easier. YOu can't pick and choose from the bani. Thanks for reading please reply! By the way doc I'm with you 100%

Dear Bhenji

WJKK

WJKF

Well, I have been compelled to reply, even though I said that I would not respond on this website again. I agree with you 150%. Have faith in Waheguru......as it says in rehraas sahib 'Janan pita lok sat banita koi na kis kee dharia'...mother, father will be of no support in the end.

Regarding the Ramgharia issue. i had to ask admin to remove the post from the politics section because i received an aggressive phone call from a hard-core ramgharia bloke. For my personal safety, i had to get the message removed. However, i do intend to send the letter to all Ramgharia Gurdwaras, so that a few seeds are sewn into the Ramgharia committee consciences. Waheguru will set all right in the end. it may not be for some time, but the truth will prevail.

Gurfateh.

Waheguru bless your family.

respect everyone, everyones got their own opinions, and if you go against it- you're just wasting your time and effort. respect their views, and if they dont respect you- just ignore them,

take it easy, don't make life so complicated by choosing between family and god, stay close to both of them

Waheguru Ji Ka Kalsa Waheguru Ji KI Fateh.

Thanks to everyone for replying back to me with valuable advice. I was deeply touched.

I know it is very important for me to respect my my elders because this is what my Guru Ji expects from me as his daughter. Believe me Sangat I do not wish to cause unnecessary conflicts especially with any member of my family. I have come to realize that this life God has given to me is precious and should not be wasted. Guru Ji has given us an excellent oppurtunity to get out of this cycle of birth and death and hopefully pass with flying colours. I know I am not the same wavelength as my family but I still try to explain to them n

ot to go against my Guru Ji's teaching only because I don't want them to waste their life.

If they do follow Guru Ji's teaching I would feel comforted knowing that this life and after they would be blessed .If any close member of your family was taking drugs or was alcoholic would you help them or just ignore it? Personally I can't ignore. As a daughter , daughter-in-law and sister I will try to help my family.

Even if they don't listen I Know I have tried and my Guru Ji will be proud of me.

Gurfateh.