Hard Finding A Job?

Thug Life

well im looking for a part time job just to earn some pocket money and... compromising my belifs is something im not willing to do ....rather stay broke lol

interview is the most important of a job. Me and a couple of friends went out to get a job at a beauty store one time (they were paying $10/hour !) and gave us a group interview. If you're quick on your feet you'll do fine. You have to be able to think quick on your feet. Example: They asked, why would u want to work at a store like this? Quick answer: Beard. Working around gels and hairsprays, you'll gain a knowledge of gels and stuff, and they seemed satisfied with the answer. The important thing to remember is that you don't freeze up. Be confident and relax. Plus, it's a part-time job, there's millions of 'em. If you don't get one, chase after another.

well im looking for a part time job just to earn some pocket money and... compromising my belifs is something im not willing to do ....rather stay broke lol

interview is the most important of a job. Me and a couple of friends went out to get a job at a beauty store one time (they were paying $10/hour !) and gave us a group interview. If you're quick on your feet you'll do fine. You have to be able to think quick on your feet. Example: They asked, why would u want to work at a store like this? Quick answer: Beard. Working around gels and hairsprays, you'll gain a knowledge of gels and stuff, and they seemed satisfied with the answer. The important thing to remember is that you don't freeze up. Be confident and relax. Plus, it's a part-time job, there's millions of 'em. If you don't get one, chase after another.

Finding a part-time job for just the summer while I was in high school was pretty difficult. Once you get to the actual job search, and the corporate field, its not nearly as hard. Part-time Summer jobs usually are low-paying, not much intelligence, and visible to the consumer type ones. These are usually harder for us to gain because the store wants someone who is visibily friendly to passing consumers that will entice them to come in and shop. Not always the case, but often that is a slight requirement they look for.

I had a real hard time finding a job during summers in high school. I kept it broke and kept it moving. Relied on friends for money to go out to places and stuff. Now i'm making plenty of money in more of the corporate sector where qualifications and brains > looks, so I take my friends out =).

$5-10 hr jobs aren't worth the hassle anyway, especially if you have to lose your dhari over it. Just stick it out, and qualifications will lead you further in life.

Finding a part-time job for just the summer while I was in high school was pretty difficult. Once you get to the actual job search, and the corporate field, its not nearly as hard. Part-time Summer jobs usually are low-paying, not much intelligence, and visible to the consumer type ones. These are usually harder for us to gain because the store wants someone who is visibily friendly to passing consumers that will entice them to come in and shop. Not always the case, but often that is a slight requirement they look for.

I had a real hard time finding a job during summers in high school. I kept it broke and kept it moving. Relied on friends for money to go out to places and stuff. Now i'm making plenty of money in more of the corporate sector where qualifications and brains > looks, so I take my friends out =).

$5-10 hr jobs aren't worth the hassle anyway, especially if you have to lose your dhari over it. Just stick it out, and qualifications will lead you further in life.

You make a good point in that it would be tough to find a job during the summer, which is why if you really want a job you should keep a look out at all times. It helped that I was applying for a job in the middle of november. Also I live in a town that has like fifty million kajillion malls, so looking for a job never really took much effort.

So true. Nothing beats a college degree.

I was going to post exactly the same thing, until i came across your post and now i will just agree with you. I did not find many part time jobs. Parents wanted me to have one but i applied and none of the interviews i went to turned into job offers. I did however was able to get those jobs in busy season like christmas etc. So i worked mainly during the holiday season.

After i got my degree i have had about 90%+ success rate in job interviews. Practically every interview i have had so far, thanks to waheguru ji turned into a job offer.

So my conclusion is that low paid jobs i.e. supermarket work etc is hard to get for a numbr of reasons:

1) The average supermarket supervisor is usually straight out of high school and has done the same job for 20 years so he/she has their bias.

2) In low paid jobs there are more chances of racism as explained in number 1.

In corporate job, Your interviewer is usually, the man/woman who is responsible for the department you are being hired in. Your job permormance directly has an effect on their position in the company. i.e. if you are crap at what you do and cant complete project on time, your manager will look bad. So corporate jobs are easy to get if you are good enough.

It may be worth while checking out like Sikh/Punjabi places 1st for a job; Gur Kirpa I’ve had quite a few part time jobs so when I went applying for jobs in dastaar etc I DID have the relevant work experience so they couldn’t turn me away for that factor, my 1st job as amritdhari was in a recreation & learning centre run by a Gurdwara, that was great because it opened up so many doors for me and then I went onto work for the local council as a youth worker, I was the only Sikh person there in regards to the employees and young people, then simultaneously I took a second part time job as a youth worker with a different council, and this was like the maddest ever interview with like 60 odd people and involved making animal noises and doing a play in front of everyone! :umm: Then later on I took on job role as project manager at another community centre – but this one wasn’t a Sikh place but because of my relevant work experience they were happy to employ me, and now I’ve just left a tv channel place….in job interviews work with Sikhi, tell them about beliefs in relevant questions such as “what does the term equal opportunities mean to you”? you can talk about how as Sikhs we believe everyone is of equal status and how we practice this etc

Also if you got time, try do voluntary work, you may find you get any opening vacancies rewarded to you by the company, but if anything you get experience and a reference which is what employers always look for!

All the best in your endeavour