Gursikh's Last Wish Before Death

I read this on another forum and thought wow, what do you guys think:

translated by Bhai Baljit Singh ji

Akali Kaur Singh Jee (a very close friend of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Jee) whenever they visited Kashmir, they used to stay at the residence of BIBI BAGH KAUR JEE. Bibi Bhag Kaur Jee was a GURSIKH, that is why Akali Kaur Singh used to eat Parshada made by her hands. Bibi Bhag Kaur left a note (Vasayeet - Last wish) to her husband before her death and Gursikhi jeevan reflects from this Vasayeet and is very inspiring. I will try my best to translate it.

---------------------------------- MY VASAYEET -----------------------------

I request my relatives that after my death please follow GURUMAT VASAYEET as written below and if someone does not follow it, he/she will bring pain to my ATTAMA (Soul).

1. When i die, everyone should keep doing SIMRAN, PATH and KEERTAN. No one should CRY.

2. No food or tea should come from other homes; every thing should be prepared at home.

3. After giving bath to my body, please put on it the same clothes which i used to wear when i was alive. No new clothes should be brought in.

4. Put BLUE or KESRI KHADAR (non-expensive) sheet on my ARTHYEE (body). No expensive SHAWLS should be put on my body.

5. Don't decorate my ARTHYEE (CORPSE). No perfumes should be put. No flowers or Garlands should be put.

6. After SANSKAR (funeral is done), Ardas should be done in Gurughar and same day, home should be cleaned and SEHAJ Path should be conducted. PATH should be clearly done in high PITCH (volume). Whoever comes home should sit in GURU SAHIB jee room and listen to PATH and should also recite PATH. No one should sit in a separate place and talk about anything.

7. Guru Sahib jee daa Parkash should be done early in the morning, followed by NITNAME and in the evening SODAR-NITNAME should also be done. Kirtan should also be conducted in the evening followed by Kirtan Sohala path and SUKH-ASSAN of GURU Sahib.

8. After 10 days when Sehaj Path is completed an AKHAND Path should be done at Gurudwara sahib. After Akand Path Bogh, no lectures should happen under my name. My name should only be taken during Aradas and my picture should not be displayed at all, at any place.

9. After 10 days when Sehaj Path is completed, nothing (bedding, clothes, pots or money) should be donated, because the donation is only fruitful, when you have given it yourself, when you were alive. Donating under your name when you are dead serves no purpose.

10. After Akhand Path, there is nothing else to be done. There should be no celebration of 6 months or year death anniversary. This is all FICTICIOUS (ADAMBAR) and should not be done at all.

I am fully confident that my family will fully help in following these rules and help my soul.

Item#3: My body should have 5 Kakars.

waheguru

that was amazing, but i have a question

PATH should be clearly done in high PITCH (volume).

why is this? what is the significance of reading Gurbani in a high pitched vioce? does it make the Gurbani easier to pronouce/understand? does the sound have more of an effect on the reader/listener? how does reading Gurbani in a high pitched voice differ from reading in a low pitched voice?

thats a lot of questions, but someone must know why!

maybe its just a personal thing with the music you know after all its her last dying wish.

PATH should be clearly done in high PITCH (volume).
ive just noticed, it says pitch(volume). so which does the writer mean, coz pitch and volume are different.
maybe its just a personal thing with the music you know after all its her last dying wish.

hmmm, not sure coz if u read bhai sahibs autobiography, he talks about how they used to do nitnem together in their cells, and how the Gurbani would be recited in a shrill or high pitched voice.

im really sorry, i dont mean to be narrow minded or pick at little things, but this is a genuine question, im just curious.

Im kind of curious to now.

vaheguru pray.gif

in regards to the high pitch thing, i think it means that Gurbani should be read aloud during the sehaj paath and akhand paath sahibs, because sometimes Granthi jis don't recite aloud and therefore there is no point if the sangat cannot hear and get laha

VaahegurooJeeKaaKhaalsaa, VaahegurooJeeKeeFaateh!!

What they mean is gurbani should be read loud and recited with love. Great post!!

SO true d_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gifd_oh.gif