More Destruction Of Golden Temple

palamrinder

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/AC_plan...how/1965761.cms

When will these masands stop ruining gurughars.

AC plans for Golden Temple

Ramaninder K Bhatia

[27 Apr, 2007 l 1433 hrs ISTlTIMES NEWS NETWORK]

CHANDIGARH: For a religious shrine which strongly resisted introduction of electric bulb at the turn of last century, this is surely a great 'leap'.

After having dropped the move to get heritage status for Sikhs' most revered shrine, the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), it is learnt, is keen on installing air-conditioners inside the sanctum sanctorum of Harmandar Sahib.

In a move, which is likely to invite stiff criticism from heritage lovers and conservationists, the SGPC has invited tenders for installing ACs, CCTVs and jammers inside the complex.

The first two are a security requirement for the entire complex and meet everyone's approval, but the ACs are meant for Golden Temple.

A SGPC sub-committee which met at Chandigarh on Thursday to deliberate on the issue, took technical details from a representative of a company to determine whether the move would cause any long-lasting damage to the nearly 400-year-old building that has born the brunt of restoration efforts by those who have scant idea of either heritage or means of conservation.

The fears of those resisting the AC installation move were confirmed when the representative of the company told members that this would require at least "boring a minimum 4" hole in the wall for the wiring."

The matter has now been referred to design consultants, sources said. Chairman of the committee Raghujit Singh Virk, however, told TOI: "We haven't taken a decision, deliberations are still on."

The move, it is learnt, was initiated about an year back, after a political VVIP started visiting the Darbar Sahib once a month.

Some of the ragijathas are also learnt to have complained of the tremendous humidity inside the shrine, especially during afternoon hours.

SGPC president Avtar Singh was asked to explore the possibility of installing ACs, but some of the members are learnt to have expressed dissent saying it was technically not feasible without causing damage to the historical building.

The fears of those resisting the AC installation move were confirmed when the representative of the company told members that this would require at least "boring a minimum 4" hole in the wall for the wiring."
:sady:

before it was outside forces tried to destroy sri harminder sahib, now its our own people :sady:

Guest AkhaliTaksaliSingh

Wow. Technology is the main reason we're losing our history. Look at Panjaab right now, everything used to be natural, our Gurdwara'h used to be the way, well as close as it can get, to how times were like when our Guru were in human form. Now Panjaab are so caught up in becoming Western. All these people wanting to come here in the Western countries; don't realise that they need to take care of Panjaab, the state of it makes us shameful that we even let such a place ruin.

Hope they don't fix in these crappy air conditioners.

:e:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/AC_plan...how/1965761.cms

When will these masands stop ruining gurughars.

AC plans for Golden Temple

Ramaninder K Bhatia

[27 Apr, 2007 l 1433 hrs ISTlTIMES NEWS NETWORK]

CHANDIGARH: For a religious shrine which strongly resisted introduction of electric bulb at the turn of last century, this is surely a great 'leap'.

The move, it is learnt, was initiated about an year back, after a political VVIP started visiting the Darbar Sahib once a month.

The tribune India also printed this news. There it indicates that Bibi Surinder Kaur Badal ( wife of Parkash Badal) is very much interested in these type of gadgets.

“ ….. It is learnt that Surinder Kaur Badal, wife of the Chief Minister of Punjab, has been taking a keen interest in installing modern gadgets in the Golden Temple complex.. “

If Mrs Badal is the one who is pressuring SGPC to do this, it is the case of " Naun sau choohai kha ke billi haj nou challi” ( as S. Simranjit Singh Maan said when Mrs Badal started to go to Harmander Sahib while still claiming herself to be a devotee of anti Sikh Mr. Ashotoush ?? ). –-- even when the installation may damage the structure of Harmander Sahib. "Nahin reesan tuhadian bibi ji " ( No one can be like you bibi ji)

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2007/20070428/punjab1.htm#2

ACS IN GOLDEN TEMPLE

SGPC to engage consultants

Tribune News Service

Amritsar, April 27

The Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) has decided to engage the services of consultants to install ACs in the sanctum sanctorum of the Harmander Sahib, apart from installing security cameras and mobile jammers on the shrine premises.

A decision regarding this was taken at a meeting of sub-committee, chaired by Raghujit Singh Virk, senior vice-president, SGPC, yesterday. It is learnt that Surinder Kaur Badal, wife of the Chief Minister of Punjab, has been taking a keen interest in installing modern gadgets in the Golden Temple complex.

The sub-committee also decided to publish a public notice, directing Raghbir Singh, secretary, SGPC, to appear before the inquiry committee to reply to the charges mentioned in the chargesheet already served on him. The meeting took a serious note of the fact that Raghbir had failed to appear before the sub-committee in its three consecutive meetings to clarify his position. Raghbir Singh had contested the recent elections as a rebel Akali candidate from Rajasansi and had levelled serious charges against SGPC chief and SAD supremo Parkash Singh Badal during his election campaign .

Among those who attended the sub-committee meeting were Raghujit Singh Virk, Rajinder Singh Mehta, Kewal Singh Badal Kiranjot Kaur, Jaswinder Singh Advocate, Dyal Singh Kolianwali and Gurbachan Singh Karmuwala.

On the advice of senior SGPC member Kiranjot Kaur, the meeting decided to engage the services of consultants for finalising the design before installation of the AC. However, a representative of a multi-national AC company told the sub-committee

I have transferred the three posts from the other thread to this. ( I hope I am not offending any one by doing this as I have no intention of doing this ). I am doing so that we keep the posts in one thread

Sincerely,

Mahan Singh

-----------

The following posts are from

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?act=Po...amp;qpid=251077

Friends

The SGPC is now at an advanced level of planning to install air conditioning units in the Harimandir Sahib (Golden Temple). This move demands holes to be punched through the ancient walls of the structure.

The sub-committee leading this plan has been influenced by a single political "VVIP" who is apparently visiting the site on a monthly basis and finds it uncomfortable. Please visit the story and leave your comments.

http://www.punjabheritage.org/material-her...emple-2704.html

The pressure applied by advocacy groups like Punjab Heritage News over the last few months on the authorities at Nanded have assured that the Ranjit Singh Baradari were conserved instead of destroyed. Please keep up the good work.

Amandeep Madra

is there anything that we, the common people can do about it? and i dnt just mean online petitons this is a very serious issue.

badal and his son need shooting

It is worth looking at some of the recent interventions made by the custodians of the Darbar Sahib

The electrification of the building and indeed the more recent cabling to support the broadcasts from the Darbar Sahib are positive but their implemetnation has been far from positive.

PLease see the images below taken in 2006 by Taran Singh of how the electrification has been carried out. By looking at these I think we have a legitimate right to question very strongly the exact need for this intervention becuase there is no going back once they start.

gte1.jpg

gte2.jpg

gte3.jpg

gte4.jpg

gte5.jpg

http://www.punjabheritage.org/material-her...emple-2704.html

I am totally against this move.. I never felt uncomfortable when i was inside the diwan hall almost everyday for three months (Summer peak time) last year..

Putting AC inside main diwan will make inside area more rushy and ppl won't get up at all.. As we know not all punjabi are born rich to afford ac/bills. Regarding the condition of Raggis.. i understand what they said but if SGPC really take care of raggis then they should arrange some kind of portable temp AC only on Raggis jatha.. talking about VVIP is rubbish as in gurus ghar nobody is VVIP.. I can't believe that they talk like this in public.. VVIP all rubbish !!!!

I HATE TV GUYS !!! Live broadcasting is good but THEY disturb everything.. They disturb amritvela sangat by switching on BRIGHT lights and putting two HUGE stand/crane right in the middle of sangat. They threw cords from upper level floor to the bottom and thats big distraction.. I don't know why such BIG BIG BIG video camera is needed.. Anyway.. they are the biggest problem i see happening inside the diwan hall.. AC should be avoided at any cost..

I don't know if this is the right topic to discuss but i will give it a try.. I have question with Punjab heritage ppls (amandeep etc..).. What do you think of SGPC contract with Punjab Fishery department regarding the supply of sarovar fishes?? (thats another big distraction i see and the cheap shot by gurdwara management to attract indian tourists etc..)

^exactly^

if they a good job about doing things, there wudnt b such a problem...but lets face it their skills are incredibly questionable....neways if people are as upset as they sound about it, I think stupid online petitions aint gonna work- why not a proper protest in Amritsar against it?...without the burning of effigies etc. rolleyes.gif

Technology is the main reason we're losing our history

It's not the technology, it's the mentality of our 'leaders' --- they are ignorant, philistine, even stupid.

Look how much of Sikh heritage, architecture and art has been destroyed by ignorant people with 'pindoo' mentality of getting the latest bling bling decoration in a gurdwara rather than preserving the heritage and art of our past? Too much money, too little sense. They have money so they have to spend it on something, right?

This is the mentality of ignorant simpletons who lead us. Can you imagine the Catholics painting over the masterpieces of art at the Vatican, or destroying ancient churches just so they can have the latest double glazing? That's the difference between Sikh leaders and the leaders of other religions. Some people call them masands. I may not go that far, but they are bunch of ignorant, vulgar and philistine minded people with no concern for history, heritage, art or culture, treating our heritage as if they own it with the right to destroy / alter it as they please, rather than they are custodians whose obligation is to preserve and protect it.

Guru Fateh