Imac Book + Windows?

JustME

i'll take ur apology, but dude, come on. I've had a mac for a year. I WAS one of you guys, the bookish nerd with a pc who would fool around with a pc all day long, trying to make it faster or break it trying, fixing other people's pcs, and spending endless months trying to make dual tv cards work on my media center pc. What do you think was the first thing I tried to do on my Mac? :umm: . Right clicks have been enabled from the start, I deleted boot camp after I realized that I didn't hate my pc, I hated windows, and now i keep windows relegated to a small 5 gig VIRTUAL hard drive. The OS is worthless, but unfortunately the applications are required for further human interaction over the internets. Oh, and if you have mac questions, i'm here occasionally.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Well, I might give that macbook a chance, but i'll never switch over completely to the dark side... its either Windows or if not, linux, for me!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

I would consider Windows being the dark side. Both Linux and Mac are based on the unix core, and Mac has even at times borrowed code from Linux, such as safari taking from Konquerer and there have been numerous other occasions, also seeing as how Windows and Linux both try to copy the Mac's UI as much as they can, really does say something about the Mac OS in general.

I would have to give mac points over windows considering it realized the value of sticking with the original OS core instead of trying to make there own.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Mac sticking with its original core? Do you know that MacOSX is actually FreeBSD? After Mac version 9 was a horrible failure, they took BSD (a unix like operating system) and adapted it for the mac. The difference is that for the linux GPL you need to contribute the code back, but for BSD, you don't need to.

So effectively, Mac swiped code from free software, claimed it their own, and is now taking credit for it. I do use linux once in a while, so i know its advantages, but whatever advantages that Mac has has been strongly "borrowed" from others. To me, the dark side are the ones who take from others and claim credit. Windows has been uniquely microsoft.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Mac sticking with its original core? Do you know that MacOSX is actually FreeBSD? After Mac version 9 was a horrible failure, they took BSD (a unix like operating system) and adapted it for the mac. The difference is that for the linux GPL you need to contribute the code back, but for BSD, you don't need to.

So effectively, Mac swiped code from free software, claimed it their own, and is now taking credit for it. I do use linux once in a while, so i know its advantages, but whatever advantages that Mac has has been strongly "borrowed" from others. To me, the dark side are the ones who take from others and claim credit. Windows has been uniquely microsoft.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

It's the BSD (unix) back bone that gives mac the security it needs. As far as windows being all Microsoft, well we may give them credit for making an effort to retool things the fact remains that Windows for the most part takes it cues of what it should do or add into its system primarily from mac.

At the very least I recognize Mac's ability to recognize good code and rather then try to remake it completely (Dos vs Unix, Aero vs Aqua, etc.) just take it and rename it.

• 4 weeks later...
Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Wow, can't believe I missed this, but Dude you're wrong. They didn't take FreeBSD, what happened during the tumultuous years when Steve Jobs left Apple, was that he went off and formed his own company called NeXT. Didn't do too much, but it's fun to look back at. Apple on the other hand, started sucking bad and somehow managed to go on until Mac OS 9. At that point there were huge disturbances in the company and they were hemoraging money. So, after firing their CEO, the new interim guy took a look at NeXT and bought it out right, bringing Steve and co. back to Apple. Within a year and a half, Jobs was back being CEO of apple and they started working on stuff further down the pipeline (Interestingly enough, it was around 1999 that Steve Jobs became CEO and he bought out the ideas for the iPod and the first iMac (gumdrop design)).

I think I'm gonna be off topic but I wanna say how great MACS are!!!

I was an AVID WINDOWS user....from ME to VISTA....with many laptops over the years from HP to IBM to SONY and most recently ACER.

ACERs are CRAPPPPPY...build quality is laughable!!!

Anyway...as I work in the University, we get a educational discount. SO I bought a MacBook 2.13 GHZ....around 700 quid. Let me just say that its the best investment ever.....

Its build quality is excellent...the way the package it says it all really.

The software was something I was worried about...but MAC OS X just works!!! No issues at all...simple to use and very user friendly.

With Parallel Desktop installed I'm able to EAISLY switch between MAC and Windows (Windows to run scientific and math software) and with no lag in power.

Whatever base OS MAC is based upon..Apple is the way to go...everything Apple is excellent!!!!

MACS are great...full stop!!!

• 2 weeks later...

same here. I have a blackbook (black macbook) 2.0 ghz, 1gb ram, and i dont need anything else. It'll probably last me all thru college, seeing as how i use it. And it IS very user-friendly...

i was thinking about getting windows at first, before i bought the macbook and saw os x, but now i'll just wait and maybe try leopard when tht comes out....

Just go for the MAC>..really...I can do use both windows and mac os side by side using Parallels (am using it at the moment).

Its runs fine...OS X DOESNT crash...its just sweet!!

its the little things though that make it worth it..like the hibernation and sleep mode...you close the lid and its sleeps IMMEDIATELY!!!

You open the lid and it wakes up IMMEDIATELY!!!!

The build is excellent...it great!!!

I would go for the MAC....windows is doomed...