Amritvela (again!)

Guest ???

just a question for the sangat.

How much sleep does the body really need? weneneva i wake up for amritvela, i always find that i have to have a nap after simran or later in the day.bcos i just get 2 tired.

but how much sleep does the body really need?

do people actualy go 2 sleep at say 11pm wake up from amritvela, and stay awake till 11pm the next day??

for regular amrit vela wakers, wats ur sleep needs? patterns?

this gupt sections perfect, cos u can b honest without seeming like ur boasting!

Guest Akirtghan

it varies with individuals. you have to find what works for YOU. play around n see what works, n stick to that.

i need about 7, i can do with 6, but thats about it. and dont think u can take "naps" durin the day. thats not healhty. a good nite's sleep is essential for health

Guest Guest

Everyones personal sleep requirements are different, some people are happy with 5 hours other people need at least 8.

Some people can't sleep after their amritvela or they get a headache, other people need that sleep or they end up getting one!

So the key is work out what is best for you. Experiment doing a week with each routine and see which one fits you best. Listen to your body - if you are feeling tired all day you need to alter your routine.

Although having a routine and sticking to it is really important too. Every day we should be trying to go to sleep and wake up at around the same time.

Hope this is of help.

BUT if you can't get enough sleep at night (even though it is best) then naps ARE okay...

amritwellaa cannot ever be done IF GURUSAHIB DOSENT WANT US TO DO,its all hukam... all hukam... and when we get up at amritwella do eshanan do paath and then sleep again...u dont have to wake all day.... try up getting up slowly slowy and do ardaas to maharj and time will come well do amritwella.....he will help...maharj is beant..........

8 Hours of sleep is recommended medically, as sleeping for less than that can increase the risk of diabetes.

Although, it can vary between individuals. The point is, not to over-stress your body with lack of sleep.

Yes, as Papi says (cant spell your new name sori!) Naps won't do - Your mind needs to go through the cycles of sleep which includes periods of REM etc.. Wikipedia "sleep" if you want to know more.

Personally, sleeping after doing nitnem yields nothing. I can have up to 45minute's nap but thats it. After that my body gets confused what day it is/if i should feel hungry or not lol

Just stay healthy.. If you want to wake up early, then SLEEP EARLY!

Guest Guest

Gurmat is way beyond science. The recommened amout of sleep I think we need is between 5-7 hours. Therefore I think we should all be in bed by 10.15. Then wake up for amrit vela. Then go back to sleep and enjoy the rest of the day at work.

the best way to get around this dilemma is going to be over a slow time period, u cant just start waking up 1am eveyday out of no where you'll just crumble like crisps. you have to do it step by step, first thing you need to sacrifice one days sleep in order to go to sleep early the next day, i would say om the first day sleep at 10 and wake up at around 3, but then the following night you'll be dying to sleep early say at around 9, and therefore wake up 5 on that day, and keeep that routine going but just gradually reduce the wake up time by a couple of minutes each day and at that rate you're body will also get used to it, my advice would be to reduce it by about 2 minutes each day, so in one month instead of waking up at 5am, you'll be waking up at 4. and you'll be fine once you get to between 3o clock and 4 o clock stop reducing the wake up time unless you want to add to your nitnem in that case keep it going and hopefullly one day you'll be doing panj granthee:D:D everyday 1am lol easier said than done thoo

the best way to get around this dilemma is going to be over a slow time period, u cant just start waking up 1am eveyday out of no where you'll just crumble like crisps. you have to do it step by step, first thing you need to sacrifice one days sleep in order to go to sleep early the next day, i would say om the first day sleep at 10 and wake up at around 3, but then the following night you'll be dying to sleep early say at around 9, and therefore wake up 5 on that day, and keeep that routine going but just gradually reduce the wake up time by a couple of minutes each day and at that rate you're body will also get used to it, my advice would be to reduce it by about 2 minutes each day, so in one month instead of waking up at 5am, you'll be waking up at 4. and you'll be fine once you get to between 3o clock and 4 o clock stop reducing the wake up time unless you want to add to your nitnem in that case keep it going and hopefullly one day you'll be doing panj granthee:D:D everyday 1am lol easier said than done thoo

very nicely said :umm: but do ardaass also :umm: