Oldest Surviving Rehat Manuscript (1718/1719 Ad)

Okay, by what you say, it appears as if a new indepth study of the Chaupa Singh rahit is required. If you have the skills, I would suggest you try and do this sewa?

Dalsingh101

Here is original rehtanama of Bhai chaupa singh ji from Amritworld site. It is same as of Piara singh padam.

It is in Punjabi and i hope you can read it.

I can read it but there is a lot of vocabulary I am unfamiliar with. So I need the dictionary quite frequently.

You should utilise your linguistic skills to translate stuff by the way.

Maybe start with part 1, work your way through it and see? Make the translation literal and supplement with footnotes as req'd.

It's good seva and helps develop language skills.

At least you can make out the deceit being played by anti panthic/ kala afghana elements by floating fictitious literature to discredit this rehatanama that uses

extensive quotes from Dasam Granth. I will not rely on literature of a christian missionary either interpreting sikh history for me as he has no knowledge of

sikh spiritualism and secondly i will not trust his intentions.

Amrit singh has done a great seva by analyzing the rehatnama and putting footnotes underneath. I will see if i can translate it when i get time.

From the writings of Guru Gobind Singh Ji in Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.

In Hindu mythology Durga is known by several names depending upon the regions

of India. Practically Kali is no different. In Chandi di vaar She sprouts from the forehead

of Durga and fights against demons.

ਚੰਡਿ ਚਿਤਾਰੀ ਕਾਲਿਕਾ ਮਨਿ ਬਾਹਲਾ ਰੋਹ ਬਢਾਇ ਕੈ ॥

चंडि चितारी कालिका मनि बाहला रोह बढाइ कै ॥

Chandi, being highly enraged, remembered Kali in her mind.

ਨਿਕਲੀ ਮੱਥਾ ਫੋੜਿ ਕੈ ਜਣੁ ਫਤਹਿ ਨੀਸਾਣ ਬਜਾਇ ਕੈ ॥

निकली म्था फोड़ि कै जणु फतहि नीसाण बजाइ कै ॥

She came out shattering the forehead of Chandi, sounding the trumpet and flying flag of victory.

ਜਾਗਿ ਸੁ ਜੰਮੀ ਜੁੱਧ ਨੂੰ ਜਰਵਾਣਾ ਜਣੁ ਮਰੜਾਇ ਕੈ ॥

जागि सु जमी जु्ध नूं जरवाणा जणु मरड़ाइ कै ॥

On manifesting herself, she marched for war, like Bir Bhadra manifesting from Shiva.

ਰਣੁ ਵਿਚਿ ਘੇਰਾ ਘੱਤਿਆ ਜਣੁ ਸੀਂਹ ਤੁਰਿਆ ਗਣਿਣਾਇ ਕੈ ॥

रणु विचि घेरा घ्तिआ जणु सींह तुरिआ गणिणाइ कै ॥

The battlefield was surrounded by her and she seemed moving like a roaring lion.

ਆਪ ਵਿਸੂਲਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਤਿਹੁੰ ਲੋਕਾਂ ਤੇ ਖੁਣਸਾਇ ਕੈ ॥

आप विसूला होइआ तिहुं लोकां ते खुणसाइ कै ॥

(The demon-king) himself was in great anguish, while exhibiting his anger over the three worlds.

ਰੋਹ ਸਿਧਾਈਆਂ ਚਕ੍ਰ ਪਾਣਿ ਕਰਿ ਨੰਦਗ ਖੜਗ ਉਠਾਇ ਕੈ ॥

रोह सिधाईआं चक्र पाणि करि नंदग खड़ग उठाइ कै ॥

Durga, being enraged, hath marched, holding her disc in her hand and raising her sword.

ਅਗੈ ਰਾਕਸ ਬੈਠੇ ਰੋਹਲੇ ਤੀਰ ਤੇਗੀ ਛਹਬਰ ਲਾਇ ਕੈ ॥

अगै राकस बैठे रोहले तीर तेगी छहबर लाइ कै ॥

There before her there were infuriated demons, she caught and knocked down the demons.

ਪਕੜ ਪਛਾੜੇ ਰਾਕਸਾਂ ਦਲ ਦੈਤਾਂ ਅੰਦਰ ਜਾਇ ਕੈ ॥

पकड़ पछाड़े राकसां दल दैतां अंदर जाइ कै ॥

Going within the forces of demons, she caught and knocked down the demons.

ਬਹੁ ਕੇਸੀ ਪਕੜਿ ਪਛਾੜਿਅਨਿ ਤਿਨ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਧੂਮ ਰਚਾਇ ਕੈ ॥

बहु केसी पकड़ि पछाड़िअनि तिन अंदरि धूम रचाइ कै ॥

She threw down by catching them from their hair and raising a tumult among their forces.

ਬਡੇ ਬਡੇ ਚੁਣਿ ਸੂਰਮੇ ਗਹਿ ਕੋਟੀ ਦਏ ਚਲਾਇ ਕੈ ॥

बडे बडे चुणि सूरमे गहि कोटी दए चलाइ कै ॥

She picked up mighty fighters by catching them with the corner of her bow and throwing them;

ਰਣਿ ਕਾਲੀ ਗੁਸਾ ਖਾਇ ਕੈ ॥੪੧॥

रणि काली गुसा खाइ कै ॥४१॥

In her fury, Kali hath waged a fierce fight in the battlefield.41.

Just for the sake of having correct facts. I spoke to someone who has read McLeod's translation of the Chaupa Singh rahit and he informed me that it does indeed include the sakhi about invoking Durgi. He said he couldn't remember the exact details before anyone asks for them.

Rehatnama is posted here for everyone to see. Can we know where is this sakhi? Or Mcleod invented his own rehatnama and introduced a spurious sakhi on his own?

That is what happens when people having no knowledge of sikh scriptures start a guess work.

Rehatnama is posted here for everyone to see. Can we know where is this sakhi? Or Mcleod invented his own sakhi?

That is what happens when people having no knowledge of sikh scriptures start a guess work.

What seems strange is that McLeod on one hand seems to have used the now missing Chaupa Singh rehat from the SRL, which I think didn't include the devi tale and then he appears to have took the tale from the later GNDU manuscript and included it in his translation.....

At least that's how it appears?

Amritsar is my native town. As far as i know there was no manuscript of this rehatnama in GNDU.

Mcleod copied manuscript in translated form from sikh reference library and presented it to GNDU.

Mind it he copied by hand. That is when he played the mischief.

I am going to check this during my next visit to Amritsar.I know these people a little better because

i was a student of their college at batala. The college is Baring Union christian college , Batala where he

came as a missionary.