Sikhism Or Khalsaism?

Mista Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I have noticed on quite a number of times that in different topics some of the Sangaat are classing Sikhs and Khalsa as two different disciples or followers which i find quite upsetting.

On my travels in London recently i picked up a "Sikh Reht Maryada" (The Code of Sikh Conduct) from the Chardi Kala Singhs at The Mission in Southall.

Heres a little extract;

What is a Sikh?

Any human being who faithfully believes in;

• One Immortal Being (Waheguru or in Western terms God)

• The Ten Sikh Guru’s from Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji right through to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji

• The Eternal Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

Who has been Baptised through the ceremony of Amrit Sanchaar bequeathed by the tenth

Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.• One who does not owe allegiance to any other religion apart from Sikhism

So if you havent taken Amrit can you really call yourself a Sikh? Or can you call yourself a Sikh but not a Sikh of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji?

Its a sensitive issue where a lot of moneh and trimsters dont like discussing or get very defensive about.

In my eyes being a Sikh and Khalsa is the same thing if it was different, you would have Khalsaism and Sikhism but you only have the one, SIKHISM.

So i think we need to face reality here and really question your love for the Panth.

Also i would like to mention i was a monah a couple of months ago and when i actually was blessed with the basic teachings of Sikhi, i realised i was no Sikh of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji and i could not class my self as a Sikh. Only when i gave my head and took Amrit i then knew i was a Sikh but thats the easy part. Keeping Reht and staying on the Path is the hardest part.

So is a Sikh and a Khalsa the same disciple or two different disciples?

and remember this is just my view on this situation and it is not intended to offend anyone as we are all Souls trying to get back to our home and none of us are any "higher" than any other.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Guest Akirtghan

one can only be called sikh of the guru if they follow BOTH outside n inside rehit.

doing one and not the other is incomplete. so now you can sort of realize how very few (virlai) sikhs there are

Dal parji, could be a slightly different version i have but it does mean the same thing does it not?

Also Akirtghan i completely agree, i myself have conquered the physical aspect but am still fighting with the Panj Chore every second, attatchment is a mo fo. From what i have learnt the best way to beat them is through Simran which i am trying to get to grips with but still struggling with to tell the truth. Only when im in a Kirtan programme or Rehnsbai i can get on a nice level, at home my mind is all over the place :D

So if you believe in the Baptism, that means you would take the Baptism because thats what you believe in? Which will make u a Sikh

and

if you dont believe in the baptism, that means you would not take the Baptism? Making you a non Sikh?

believing in Guru's teachings doesn't make you the Guru... but it is an extremely important part of it

therefore, beliving in the "baptism ceremony" doesn't make you baptized, but is important.

an atheist does NOT believe in God, and therefore will never merge with God unless they change their belief. An atheist can not be called a God-Follower, or a Disciple. Belief in God is important, because it is the seed that is planted in order to follow the Path of God.

if you don't believe in the validity of amrit, then you likely will never request/receive it, and at THAT point, then we can talk about non-sikh vs. sikh

believing in amrit does not make you amritdhari, but IN MY EYES AND OPINION it puts you at least on the path of Sikhi, and in my interpretation, it makes you a Sikh.... and on the path towards God...a path which includs amritpaan.

Japmans i agree with what your saying parji.

In my eyes you have to live Sikhi not just do the easy parts like mutha tekh on a Sunday and just wear a Karah.

In my experience of being a Singh, its not actually hard to keep Reht its just you have to adjust your life and just let go. When i look in the mirror i see a totally different person, i see a Singh which feels bare strange but also feels normal, like ive always been a Singh. I look at my old photos and think, did i look like a Sikh then? I looked like anyother Hindu or Muslim breh.

Its bare deep but i think it is essential that you take the Oath, Keep your 5 K's, do your Nitnem and Simran, do seva and learn how to use Shaaster. A wise Chardi Kala Singh once told me thats the foundation of your Sikhi, without a strong foundation, the only way is down.

There is another point of being ready for it. Plenty of people aren't so it would silly to push them to take amrit and it would have the opposite result to what is expected with unsure or unsteady faith. So it isn't smart to push people to take amrit because it backfires.

Also judging who is Sikh and who isn't is a fools game. There are political as well as spiritual elements involved. Besides, it is a sore point for many amritdharis but often some of the monay are willing to make greater sacrifices than some of them (in the Uk anyway). Besides in this day and age bravery counts for less than it did before. Whereas previously the Khalsa got to where they did through sheer bravery and verve today technology has changed the whole situation and being willing to fight and die against your foe 9which few of the so called Khalsas are these days) has to coupled with long range weapon technology which takes a lot of advantage from this.

Besides the way many monay have a strong and active interest in SIkhi and can sometime put many amritdharis to shame with their knowledge point at them one day taking further steps down the path. Why judge them when down teh line they may make better Sikhs and leaders than the people on the high horse?

There is another point of being ready for it. Plenty of people aren't so it would silly to push them to take amrit and it would have the opposite result to what is expected with unsure or unsteady faith. So it isn't smart to push people to take amrit because it backfires.

No one is pushing them away. They should walk on the path and try to improve their jeevan. Every Amritdhari Sikh is required to do the same. In order for monay to become Sikh is to first walk and realize that taking Amrit is a must. Not many do that.

Besides, it is a sore point for many amritdharis but often some of the monay are willing to make greater sacrifices than some of them (in the Uk anyway).

A Sikh is not defined by who makes a greater sacrifice. Sacrificing for religion is a great act and is part of Sikhi not the only requirement to become a Sikh. I haven't read about any mona being cut in half, boiled alive or cut into pieces. I can equally give many examples of monay doing bad deeds but generalizing is not the correct way.

Besides the way many monay have a strong and active interest in SIkhi and can sometime put many amritdharis to shame with their knowledge point at them one day taking further steps down the path.

There is a fine line between knowing something and following something. Not all Amritdharis are uneducated and not all monay are educated. That being said, having interest in Sikhi is a good thing and one must try to follow the path of gurmat. In Sangat there is no educated or uneducated. All sit down to learn from the Guru and follow the path.

Why judge them when down teh line they may make better Sikhs and leaders than the people on the high horse?

They are not Sikhs. Sikhi teaches one to become a better human being not how to become a better politician. Granted there are many corrupt people in Sikhi who have Sikh appearance but this is not the fault of Sikhi or Gurbani. The fault is the people themselves and their desire to go after materialistic pleasures. Such people can be found in every community. Monay are no different. I hold more respect for those who do seva and are humble than those Amritdharis who never follow Gurmat.

As the topic suggests which has been discussed before that a Sikh is defined by Gurbani and Rehat (internal and external) not by knowledge. Comparing one's behavior to another is not a correct way to understand Sikhi.