London - Religion Not Race Segregates City

dalsingh101

Religion not race segregates city

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6978116.stm

The university of East London has created a map showing the city as a patchwork of religious enclaves.

It show that in some areas, minority religions make up 80% of the population.

Only 3% of London's seven million residents live in areas classed as racially segregated, but 25% live in religiously-segregated neighbourhoods.

The study also questioned whether ministers are right - after the 2001 race riots and the 7 July bombings - to attempt to tackle segregation.

Forge links

The findings indicated living in segregated communities could actually benefit some of the minorities involved, although Muslims were more likely to be "trapped" in deprived areas and less likely to forge links with other groups living around them.

Professor Allan Brimicombe, author of the study based on census data, said: "Traditionally the amount of residential segregation in London has been looked at in terms of ethnicity.

Any government plan that talks about 'parallel lives' and a lack of integration being a bad thing is missing the point - it's not bad for everybody

Professor Allan Brimicombe

"By ethnicity there is not very much residential segregation. But when you turn it around and look at religious self-identity we see there is a lot of segregation in London by minority religious groups."

The city's religious breakdown was then compared with information indicating deprivation, such as educational qualifications and housing types.

"We found that a level of segregation actually seems to improve the lot of people living in areas that are segregated along religious self-identity lines," said the author.

Muslims 'trapped'

"The Jews, Hindus and Sikhs seem to be better off in areas that are dominated by their own religion, except for the Muslim-dominated areas which get progressively worse off as they become more segregated.

"Any government plan that talks about 'parallel lives' and a lack of integration being a bad thing is missing the point - it's not bad for everybody.

"But for one group, the Muslims, they seem to be trapped in a spiral where they can't seem to move out of high deprivation areas."

Concentrated communities of Muslims are found in the boroughs of Tower Hamlets and Newham; Jews in Harrow, Barnet and north Hackney; and Hindus in Brent

When you grow up in a totally segregated society, where everybody around you believes that segregation is proper, you have a hard time. You can't believe how much it's a part of your thinking.

Segregation was wrong when it was forced by white people, and I believe it is still wrong when it is requested by black people.

When you grow up in a totally segregated society, where everybody around you believes that segregation is proper, you have a hard time. You can't believe how much it's a part of your thinking.

Segregation was wrong when it was forced by white people, and I believe it is still wrong when it is requested by black people.

I don't know, what do you do when certain people just want to live by themselves. Plenty seem to want to do this. It explains white flight from areas with large ethnic populations as well as ghettoing by minorities.

There is a fear that consumes some people that centres around being absorbed or made insignificant by other groups. This leads to segregation. Sometimes the fear is based on paranoia, sometimes on a reality.

People are generally reluctant of great change and seek comfort in familiarity....this explains the white fear of having their culture irrevocably altered by migration as well as reluctance on the part of immigrants to assimilate. I believe they are looking for perpetuity in lifestyles. Rightly or wrongly.

"The Jews, Hindus and Sikhs seem to be better off in areas that are dominated by their own religion, except for the Muslim-dominated areas which get progressively worse off as they become more segregated.

Very interesting....

Though, there aren't a lot of Sikhs in UK, right?

About half a million apparently.

Very interesting....

That is more than Canada I believe.

Anyway, what are the sikh areas in the UK? Here in Canada, most sikh areas has somewhat a high crime rate. I hope that isn't the same case with UK sikh areas.

I seriously need to go to England and check out these areas. LOL

Very interesting....

That is more than Canada I believe.

Anyway, what are the sikh areas in the UK? Here in Canada, most sikh areas has somewhat a high crime rate. I hope that isn't the same case with UK sikh areas.

I seriously need to go to England and check out these areas. LOL

Southall used to be Sikh 15 years ago but not now. Gravesend has a big Sikh population. I think there are small pockets in Wolverhampton, Leicester and Birmingham. Maybe people can let us know?

The report confirms what most people in the know have suspected. Muslim immigrants have a negative impact on the host country. Due to their activities multiculturalism is being described as a failed policy and has become a dirty word in most circles. Hard won rights such as the right to have a Kirpan are increasing under attack due to the security situation created by Muslim terrorism. In the US Sikhs will now have their Turbans removed and searched all thanks to the activities of Muslim terrorists. While non-Muslim faith schools do well Muslim faith school are failures and one was in the news recently for using Saudi textbooks which promote hate against Jews and Christians thereby giving all faith schools a bad name.