Sikh Kid... Anything For A Bit Of Cash?

Carpe Diem

I saw this news report on BBC and it kinda annoyed me this kid decided to claim compensation over such a minor thing. An investigation seems to claim it was all in good humour but obviously kid got home, told his dad who saw ££'s... but maybe i am percieving it wrong..??

And i bet theres more to the story than just the kid standing at a bus stop minding his own business...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6972249.stm

Bin boy given £4,000 compensation

A teenager who was dumped into a rubbish bin by a police officer has received £4,000 in compensation.

Anop Singh, from Stamford Hill, north London, was briefly placed in a bin in Hackney, east London, after an argument with the officer in October 2005.

"I didn't like it," Anop, who is 16, told BBC London. "Now he has suffered the consequences hasn't he?"

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said an out-of-court settlement was made and two officers received written warnings.

'Told to move'

Anop met the policeman as he was near Clissold Park in Hackney, where there were reports of youths throwing conkers.

"I am waiting at the bus stop and I am told if I do not move he's going to put me in the bin," Anop said.

I did not ask for it, they offered it to me

Anop Singh

"He did not tell me 'move away please,' just 'move away'. I am not a dog, I am not going to move away."

The plain-clothes policeman, who was accompanied by another officer, then placed the teenager feet-first in the litter bin for less than a second.

Anop's friend Pierre Cornwall, 17, filmed the incident on his mobile phone and his father Gurdev Singh made a formal complaint.

"I would have preferred it if the policeman had taken my son to a police station and put him in a cell, then phoned me up and I would have dealt with it," Mr Singh said.

An Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) inquiry reported that the officers claimed the incident was "all in good humour" but the teenager said he had been "upset and humiliated".

The incident was not malicious but it was clearly foolish behaviour

IPCC commissioner Deborah Glass

A police spokesman said: "We can confirm that the Metropolitan Police Service received a complaint in relation to this incident in July 2006.

"In March 2007 an out-of-court settlement was accepted by the claimant, and was paid out later that month."

"I did not ask for it, they offered it to me," Anop said on Friday. "If there's nothing else that's going to happen, then I am going to accept it aren't I?"

The Crown Prosecution Service ruled there was no realistic prospect of convicting the officers involved.

Deborah Glass, IPCC commissioner for London and the South East, said: "I accept that the incident was not malicious but it was clearly foolish behaviour."

Carpe Diem,

Good humour? If it was in good humour then the Police wouldn't have offered compensation. The kid was lucky his friend videoed the incident otherwise the officers would have denied it or even tried to fit him up on false charges. Most probably the officer was pushing his weight around and got caught out by video evidence. Where have been seen that before? Rodney King was it?

Even the investigation found it in good humour proactive. I am sure the investigators saw the video too. His feet onli were in there for less than a second. Please dont compare the brutal beating of Rodney King to this and the coppers were being malicious or else they wud have prosecuted. I dont think that from the news story above they shudve got compensation for it. £4,000 is a good few months wages for some who work hard and live an honest living. I doubt Guru Nanak Dev Jee would encourage such "easy" ways of obtaining cash. But then hey,... what goes around comes around.

Even the investigation found it in good humour proactive. I am sure the investigators saw the video too.

Please read the report, it doesn't say that the investigation found that it was done in good humour. It was the officers who made this defence before the investigating authorities.

An Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) inquiry reported that the officers claimed the incident was "all in good humour" but the teenager said he had been "upset and humiliated".

Two written warnings doesn't really point towards the investigation accepting the 'good humour' excuse. They saw the video too and rejected the good humour excuse.

His feet onli were in there for less than a second. Please dont compare the brutal beating of Rodney King to this and the coppers were being malicious or else they wud have prosecuted. I dont think that from the news story above they shudve got compensation for it. £4,000 is a good few months wages for some who work hard and live an honest living. I doubt Guru Nanak Dev Jee would encourage such "easy" ways of obtaining cash. But then hey,... what goes around comes around.

The comparison was made with Rodney King because that also involved a videoing of the incident. With the proliferation of mobile phones with video cameras the police and rightly watching their backs now whereas before they could do what they wanted as long as there were no witnesses.

I think you're being too harsh on this kid and his dad. Imagine if your son came home probably smelling of cr*p because he's been put into a rubbish bin by a policeman. His clothese dirty and himself shocked by what has just happened. Yeah, I'm sure the dad just saw the ££ signs rolleyes.gif

Even the investigation found it in good humour proactive. I am sure the investigators saw the video too. His feet onli were in there for less than a second. Please dont compare the brutal beating of Rodney King to this and the coppers were being malicious or else they wud have prosecuted. I dont think that from the news story above they shudve got compensation for it. £4,000 is a good few months wages for some who work hard and live an honest living. I doubt Guru Nanak Dev Jee would encourage such "easy" ways of obtaining cash. But then hey,... what goes around comes around.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji would recognize that the officers were clearly operating outside the scope of their professional duties in such behavior and therefore subject to criminal assault charges as well as civil assault liability.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji would have recognized that there is no truly independent investigative body involved. The sound bites supportive of the police may as well be the officer’s mothers. Guru Nanak Dev Ji would have recognized that a 4000.00 unsolicited offer of settlement indicates a very serious concern for legal liability and they wanted the boy to sign off before consulting with an attorney. Guru Nanak Dev Ji would have recognized that had this been in the hands of an attorney for the boy, the risk would have been reassessed and the offer would have been many times higher, and rightly so.

Officers in uniform behaving in this manner call into question public trust of the entire police force and need to be investigated independently and disciplined properly to retain public trust. Police officers are entrusted with authority and power. It is a very serious violation of the trust to abuse the authority and power in this manner.

It is a shame if that might be the end of that story. I shudder to think what else those officers have done and may do in the future.

For Sikhs, as torch bearers of justice, we must be astute to simple underpinnings of the rule of law.

Personally it would have been better the cop's just clipped round his ear hole, like in the olden days, the youth of today hand around in gangs, really get up residence noses, baiscally are just a nuisance, cop's can't do anything without getting done by the PC brigrade, schools hands are ties, teachers can't do anything, parents have lost total control of these brats, so who suffers, the community as a whole, there's no discipline left, no wonder youth crime is on the rise, and stats that came out from schools was shocking, 4 year olds are suspended, expelled, young children involved in what can only be termed as a sXX crime, what can you say ??? society need's the law to enforce harshly, in order to bring back law and order....also reports were that they were throwing conkers are car's driving by, imagine what the real conequences could have been, an accident ??, a disgruntled driver stopping and giving them a beating ?? the problem is only half the story ever come's out, I don't think many of us would be happy if the conker smashed our windscreen or something worse !!!

I work hard... i pay ma taxes like a lot of other people... i abide by the law and uphold it... but then my hard work and taxes went towards his compensation of £4,000...! I think its stupid. His FEET ONLY were put into a bin, not even fully, for less than a second....! A second is SHORT!

And to he who says it must have been a justified case for the kid to get compensation - people sue for the stupidest things nowdays. We all know that. Minor things. Silly things.

I dont think this kid deserved £4,000 in compensation. Maybe the coppers were silly to do it in the first place, but i think this is a case of 1-nil to the troublemakers. Bring back corporal punishment!!

You must separate the police behavior, which is a blatant abuse of police authority, from the person they are dealing with.

In addressing the part about corporal punishment, harsher laws etc,

Our brains are versed in the english christian paradigm of good and evil. The world does not work like comic book heroes and villains. Most things are far more complex. Talk to people who get in trouble. For the vast majority you will see the same themes in their lives that don’t exist in your life or mine. For every kid who may have behaved in a similar manner at age 16, there are many community heroes ten or twenty years later as they mature.

At this age kids are vulnerable and often are especially currently products of a capitalist consumer culture where adult society puts its present interests over raising children as a part of their community or family.

Understand that mainstream corporate media’s portrayal on crime, that is in our face since we were children, is largely a very small minded portrayal orchestrated by the pompous ignorant elite. Seek out news and views that is not courtesy of generations of corporate purse strings. With few exceptions higher education has also become the exact opposite, it is essentially indoctrination and a convenient excuse to remain stupid throughout life with letters behind our names.

For those who want to improve the difficulty with crime, have a long hard look at how we are building fences around economic castes in society, leaving many communities with lesser resources to provide a proper upbringing for kids.

Forget tougher sentencing, harsher laws, more fear etc. Look at the statistics of the richest country in the world with respect to crime and punishment to see where harsher laws lead. Those politicians leading the “battle” against crime give lip service. They and their kin have gated themselves far away from crime, which may as well be a concept on Mars for them.

Lets put our money where our mouth is and give our time, attention and share our resources with those who work just as hard as us, but are forced to operate in a SYSTEM that treats their labour as second class, that robs them of any realistic opportunity to dream, that robs generations of life skills.

I like your comments, you sound like a true politician :D , but my personal view is most kids nowadays need the old khalsa way of upbringing, you do some putea kam you get some shittar, i'm sure it never hurt you and I know it made me a better person for it, if a child has no fear of consequences you reckon they will turn out in to be a upstanding member of the community, I have to disagree, if you are a rebel in your youth unless the hand of some form of discipline is there it is a 99% gurantee you will not obey the laws of society as you grow older.