Older Generation Have Created Confusion, Leaving Us Looking Like Hindus Pretending To Be Sikhs

one love kaur

This is what we have forgotten,you don't not have to be an Amritdhari to wear a Kirpan, all the 5k's have equal importance,and stand side by side,if a non Amritdhari can wear a Kara they can slo wear a Kirpan.

U realy think that do u?

Yup so why shakk amrit then innit.........lets just all go around waering the 5 k's and we'll all skip into sachkhand......... rolleyes.gif

LOL...very well said sis :nihungsmile:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the older generation have left us a little messed up. there is a lot of importance put on caste and certain rituals that have nothing to do with sikhi(eg at sikh weddings). but to be honest i think it will be wiped out with our generation especially outside of India. caste is not relevant to us kids anymore as it has it is not logical to us in our society. from what i can see most of this hindu stuff will be TERMINATED. lol

yeah the older generation have left us a little messed up. there is a lot of importance put on caste and certain rituals that have nothing to do with sikhi(eg at sikh weddings). but to be honest i think it will be wiped out with our generation especially outside of India. caste is not relevant to us kids anymore as it has it is not logical to us in our society. from what i can see most of this hindu stuff will be TERMINATED. lol

Being of Hindu background, I can tell you with 99% guarantee that almost ALL educated Hindus have pretty much given up the caste bs, whereas in the case of Sikhs, education sadly doesn't make a difference. Whether you are a PhD in rocket science, or a farmer who didn't go to school even for a day, the caste bs still persists inspite of the fact that Sikhi has been condemning it from day 1. I could be wrong though. Infact, I hope I am wrong!

methab singh no offence man but i do think you have exaggerated those stats quite a bit. a lot of my hindu friends are really into caste even the younger ones. whereas myself and my fellow sikh friends are not so much into it. we think its stupid to be honest.from what i have seen its the older punajbi generation who believe in it especially those who have been brought up in india. dont take offence im no saying all hindus believe in it just because my mates do but i can only comment i what i see/hear.

over and out

No Brother caste system is everywhere it is so strict in Haryana that you can not ever dream of.

Most parts of India are highly engulfed in caste system and the rules are very stringent.

So caste system is in soul of India.

Sure it is, but again you can check the educational scene in Haryana. If at all there are any educated Hindus who are "caste freaks", it has to be south Indians. Not that I am being racist here, but that this is something I have come across as a fact.

This reminds me of a hilarious incident that took place at my university when I came to the US for the first time. A Tamil dude from India had come to do his masters in engineering, and was adamant that he wanted a room mate of his own caste LOL.gif . So that is just one instance of educated Hindus being into caste. But as far as I know, educated Punjabi Hindus (my background that is) who live in cities have practically given up on caste concerns.

methab singh no offence man but i do think you have exaggerated those stats quite a bit. a lot of my hindu friends are really into caste even the younger ones. whereas myself and my fellow sikh friends are not so much into it. we think its stupid to be honest.from what i have seen its the older punajbi generation who believe in it especially those who have been brought up in india. dont take offence im no saying all hindus believe in it just because my mates do but i can only comment i what i see/hear.

over and out

lol...I said "many educated Hindus", not all, and I was speaking about Punjabi Hindus in particular. Of course there could be Punjabi Hindus as well who are into caste like crazy. I know for a fact that Hindus from the eastern and southern parts of India are hardcore casteists. And about your friends, it all depends on family upbringing. I come from a Punjabi Brahmin family and was never told that we are "superior" or "better" than anyone. I have yet to see a male from my family (both dad's and mom's side) who wears a janeu. And so at times I poke fun that you all are fake bahmans LOL.gif (I love em to death tho). In fact, I have not come across any Punjabi Brahmin male (whether from my family or outside) who wears janeu, and this is not post 1984 fact (in case you thought people gave it up in Punjab after 1984), this is like past 100 years fact as my daadaa and nana both never wore a janeu. Neither did my father's generation, and neither did mine. I never even heard about Punjabi Brahmins wearing janeu, dhoti, lol etc etc. So I am not sure what background your friends are from.
Mehtab singh ji

just a question to you how do educated punjabi hindu's search marriage partners?

One thing they definitely go for is the girl/guy should be Punjabi ;) , and Hindu rolleyes.gif . Baki the rest is same, well-educated, good family etc etc. lol. As for caste, Brahmins and Khatris usually don't mind intermarrying :) .

over and out

lol...I said "many educated Hindus", not all, and I was speaking about Punjabi Hindus in particular. Of course there could be Punjabi Hindus as well who are into caste like crazy. I know for a fact that Hindus from the eastern and southern parts of India are hardcore casteists. And about your friends, it all depends on family upbringing. I come from a Punjabi Brahmin family and was never told that we are "superior" or "better" than anyone. I have yet to see a male from my family (both dad's and mom's side) who wears a janeu. And so at times I poke fun that you all are fake bahmans LOL.gif (I love em to death tho). In fact, I have not come across any Punjabi Brahmin male (whether from my family or outside) who wears janeu, and this is not post 1984 fact (in case you thought people gave it up in Punjab after 1984), this is like past 100 years fact as my daadaa and nana both never wore a janeu. Neither did my father's generation, and neither did mine. I never even heard about Punjabi Brahmins wearing janeu, dhoti, lol etc etc. So I am not sure what background your friends are from.
Mehtab singh ji

just a question to you how do educated punjabi hindu's search marriage partners?

One thing they definitely go for is the girl/guy should be Punjabi ;) , and Hindu rolleyes.gif . Baki the rest is same, well-educated, good family etc etc. lol. As for caste, Brahmins and Khatris usually don't mind intermarrying :) .

The term Punjabi Hindu really started after the Arya Samaj movement came up with the term and post 1947 , most Hindus in what is now Pakistan called themselves Sikhs.

Movements in independent India (Jan Sangh, RSS etc) asking for Punjabi Hindus to disown Punjabi and declare themselves Hindi speaker caused divisions.