Singh In British Army Needs Advice.

singh1986

WaheGuru Je Ka Khalsa WaheGuru Je Ke Fateh!

A Singh that I known well just joined the Army and on his First day there before he could go into Camp, they forced him to remove his Dastaar otherwise he couldnt enter...he argued his point to the best of his capabilites but had to compromise and wear Patka only...

They argued for heath and Safetry reasons that he should remove his Dastaar...is there any way to fight this or does the sangat think a compromise is okey in this situation?

I train with the territorial army- (army reserves -royal military police west bromwich regiment) and I've never had a problem with my dastaar!! Even before I joined they said wearing my dastaar and panj kakkar will not be a problem!! I'm surprised they asked him to take his dastaar off for health and safety issues. What regiment is he in?? probably depends on that... :lol:

I train with the territorial army- (army reserves -royal military police west bromwich regiment) and I've never had a problem with my dastaar!! Even before I joined they said wearing my dastaar and panj kakkar will not be a problem!! I'm surprised they asked him to take his dastaar off for health and safety issues. What regiment is he in?? probably depends on that... :lol:

I'll have to ask him what regiment he's in when he rings tommorrow, but he's training at Lichfeild...

When he went for taster courses before they said that he would be allowed to keep his Dastaar on so I dunno why they've changed thier policy.

Well this is a very typical situation but please tell em to face it and do the ardass and 1stly Army man should try to convince them again .. and still if they are not co operating. As per my information most of our NRI's they use to wear the small Dastaar Gol Dastaar/Patka, Bcoz i think as per this situation little bit we have to compromise. Lets see and i hope ardass would work definately.

Is there anyone he can complain to?

try the regiments commanding officer but if that fails try the regional offices. In Birmingham its Armed Forces Careers Office in Pallasades, City Centre. The Regional director can be contacted from there and you can appeal to him/her...BUT try and sort it out within your regiment first!! If they have said you're allowed to wear the dastaar beforehand, then they can't go back on it!!

Let me know what regiment he's serving in?? They have different guidelines and rules for each area e.g Infantry will be different to logistics or intelligence corps..

Just to let people know the Singh got kicked out for being "too militant" ...he has a meeting at his regional base tommorrow.

He in the end raised objections when the guy in charge said to him to wear his cloth and carry his turban in his pocket...

Also they kept giving him a Halal meal even though he asked for vegetarian... so alot of issues need to be discussed.

We looked at the booklet they gave and within it there is a specific sentence that says Sikhs can wear religious Artifacts...so lets see what happens.

your allowed to wear panj kakar I dont see why they would stop him wearing dastaar. I know someone whos in the army and even yesterday on radio he came on and said your allowed to wear all panj kakkar. are you sure you have the whole story...

if its true then im sure he could take legal action...