[shabad] Aasa Andar Sabh Ko

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Could someone please help me understand what this shabad is saying, particularly with respect to the lines in red. What kind of hope is Guru Saheb talking about? And what are we being told about it?

slok mÚ 3 ]

salok ma 3 ||

Salok, Third Mehla:

Awsw AMdir sBu ko koie inrwsw hoie ]

aasaa a(n)dhar sabh ko koe niraasaa hoe ||

Everyone is filled with hope; hardly anyone is free of hope.

nwnk jo mir jIivAw sihlw AwieAw soie ]1]

naanak jo mar jeeviaa sehilaa aaeiaa soe ||1||

O Nanak, blessed is the birth of one, who remains dead while yet alive. ||1||

mÚ 3 ]

ma 3 ||

Third Mehla:

nw ikCu Awsw hiQ hY kyau inrwsw hoie ]

naa kishh aasaa hathh hai kaeo niraasaa hoe ||

Nothing is in the hands of hope. How can one become free of hope?

ikAw kry eyh bpuVI jW Buolwey soie ]2]

kiaa karae eaeh bapurree jaa(n) bhuolaaeae soe ||2||

What can this poor being do? The Lord Himself creates confusion. ||2||

pauVI ]

pourree ||

Pauree:

iDRgu jIvxu sMswr scy nwm ibnu ]

dhhrig jeevan sa(n)saar sachae naam bin ||

Cursed is the life in this world, without the True Name.

pRBu dwqw dwqwr inhclu eyhu Dnu ]

prabh dhaathaa dhaathaar nihachal eaehu dhhan ||

God is the Great Giver of givers. His wealth is permanent and unchanging.

swis swis AwrwDy inrmlu soie jnu ]

saas saas aaraadhhae niramal soe jan ||

That humble being is immaculate, who worships the Lord with each and every breath.

AMqrjwmI Agmu rsnw eyku Bnu ]

a(n)tharajaamee agam rasanaa eaek bhan ||

With your tongue, vibrate the One Inaccessible Lord, the Inner-knower, the Searcher of hearts.

riv rihAw srbiq nwnku bil jweI ]20]

rav rehiaa sarabath naanak bal jaaee ||20||

He is all-pervading everywhere. Nanak is a sacrifice to Him. ||20||

http

://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?Sour...amp;PageNo=956

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

Hope is basically a desire, and Maya fills the mind with false desires; these desires could be worldly or spiritual, spiritual as in supernatural powers or something. These desires come from the mind, the mind that has produced so much filth of Maya and sin from previous births. Everyone is traped by these hopes and they follow them, believing them to be real, they are controlled by them. However, the hearts desires are good, as they come from the soul; the soul only has one desire: to unite with God, to become whole/complete again.

Every other desire is unreal and it will usually involve Maya, as the mind has only lived on Maya for so many lives and hardly or not at all on naam. For example, I wish to become wealthy, which is a worldly/illusionary desire, something that will not help the soul or anyone else, or the afterlife of the soul. These desires are normally produced by engaging in Maya.

We jap naam to free ourselves from these desires, not paying attention to them.

Hope that helped.

This Shabad is by Bhagat Kabeer Ji in Salok Kabeer Jee on Pannaa 1369

kbIr Awsw krIAY rwm kI AvrY Aws inrws ]

kabeer aasaa kareeai raam kee avarai aas niraas ||

Kabeer, place your hopes in the Lord; other hopes lead to despair.

nrik prih qy mwneI jo hir nwm audws ]95]

narak parehi thae maanee jo har naam oudhaas ||95||

Those who dissociate themselves from the Lord's Name - when they fall into hell, then they will appreciate its value. ||95||

Thank you baba. Perhaps if I'd kept on top of the GV I would have seen this. *ashamed*

p.s. I know copy-pasting just rocks your world, but think about editing the 'Pannaa' : )

Demonic Warrior, I'm going to call you Angelic Warrior from now on, I hope you don't mind. Thank you for your explanation : ) it did help.

However, the hearts desires are good, as they come from the soul; the soul only has one desire: to unite with God, to become whole/complete again.

I've always been in real doubt about whether our heart's desires are the same as our soul's desires, or if people like me even know how to differentiate between the two. We always hear the term heart being thrown about loosely e.g. heartbroken regarding false love/my heart tells me that I should be with him/her/maya. Personally I've always found it safer to trust what Guru Saheb says. Anyway I understand what you mean and thanks again for the post.

I've always been in real doubt about whether our heart's desires are the same as our soul's desires, or if people like me even know how to differentiate between the two. We always hear the term heart being thrown about loosely e.g. heartbroken regarding false love/my heart tells me that I should be with him/her/maya. Personally I've always found it safer to trust what Guru Saheb says. Anyway I understand what you mean and thanks again for the post.

Waheguruuuuuuuuuu pehnj

i was having this very same discussion with a good friend of mine.....ill share some of the points we discussed........

the way i see it is "heart" is simply a state of mind, what is the heart realy? "an organ of the body, yes with without the body would cease to exist on a physical level"

but its waheguru's joth that give life to the body and the same way we use the term "heart" broken etc etc its simply another form of attachment, (just my useless opinion) everything is a state of mind.........once can achieve the highest state of bliss or roam in the deepest of hells depending on the state of ones mind..............this powerful tool waheguru enshired in us all is a gift, to those who use it to follow the gurmukh way of life and the mind can also become a curse for those who are drowning in maya................the same way the mind when focus on positive things will only lead to a higher state of being or conscienceness............and ultimatly bring us closer to waheguru...........it can also send us to the beginnning of chaurassi lakh joon when we follow our carnal lust and desires...............

Everything stems from the mind, feelings, thoughts, emotions, actions...............its how we use it that realy counts........................

erm.............yeah thats it hehehehe sorry for ranting there.................... <_<

bhul chuck maafi and thanks pehj for posting up such a thought-provoking post :)