rwmklI bwxI rivdws jI kI

raamakalee baanee ravidhaas jee kee

Raamkalee, The Word Of Ravi Daas Jee:

<> siqgur pRswid ]

ik oa(n)kaar sathigur prasaadh ||

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

pVIAY gunIAY nwmu sBu sunIAY AnBau Bwau n drsY ]

parreeai guneeai naam sabh suneeai anabho bhaao n dharasai ||

They read and reflect upon all the Names of God; they listen, but they do not see the Lord, the embodiment of love and intuition.

lohw kMcnu ihrn hoie kYsy jau pwrsih n prsY ]1]

lohaa ka(n)chan hiran hoe kaisae jo paarasehi n parasai ||1||

How can iron be transformed into gold, unless it touches the Philosopher's Stone? ||1||

dyv sMsY gWiT n CUtY ]

dhaev sa(n)sai gaa(n)t(h) n shhoottai ||

O Divine Lord, the knot of skepticism cannot be untied.

kwm k®oD mwieAw md mqsr ien pMchu imil lUty ]1] rhwau ]

kaam krodhh maaeiaa madh mathasar ein pa(n)chahu mil loottae ||1|| rehaao ||

Sexual desire, anger, Maya, intoxication and jealousy - these five have combined to plunder the world. ||1||Pause||

hm bf kib kulIn hm pMifq hm jogI sMinAwsI ]

ham badd kab kuleen ham pa(n)ddith ham jogee sa(n)niaasee ||

I am a great poet, of noble heritage; I am a Pandit, a religious scholar, a Yogi and a Sannyaasi;

igAwnI gunI sUr hm dwqy ieh buiD kbih n nwsI ]2]

giaanee gunee soor ham dhaathae eih budhh kabehi n naasee ||2||

I am a spiritual teacher, a warrior and a giver - such thinking never ends. ||2||

khu rivdws sBY nhI smJis BUil pry jYsy baury ]

kahu ravidhaas sabhai nehee samajhas bhool parae jaisae bourae ||

Says Ravi Daas, no one understands; they all run around, deluded like madmen.

moih ADwru nwmu nwrwien jIvn pRwn Dn mory ]3]1]

mohi adhhaar naam naaraaein jeevan praan dhhan morae ||3||1||

The Lord's Name is my only Support; He is my life, my breath of life, my wealth. ||3||1||

d_oh.gif

this shabads cool.

Guru Ji is saying here that sexual desire, anger, maya and jealousy have corrupted all. In our ego 'I', we say we did this and we did that through the blindness of the four evils mentioned above. For example, we become jealous of others because we see them with something we don't have, this could be a high avastha or anything. In this case, we see differences in ourselves and in others, which is illusion, as we don't see God; only God exists. We are not living in Hukam as we say he has that but 'I' don't have that - God's Hukam prevails. Jeolousy plays on our EGO big time, as it is comes directly from our filthy mind that only wants good for ourselves and not for others.

Finally, the shabad tells us that Naam has to be japped in order for us to erase this wicked 'I', this ego:

parreeai guneeai naam sabh suneeai anabho bhaao n dharasai ||

They read and reflect upon all the Names of God; they listen, but they do not see the Lord, the embodiment of love and intuition.

lohaa ka(n)chan hiran hoe kaisae jo paarasehi n parasai ||1||

How can iron be transformed into gold, unless it touches the Philosopher's Stone? ||1||

The second line, above, tells us to jap naam continuously and constantly forever, until we earn the wealth of Naam and naam finds a place in our heart. Otherwise we won't be transformed in an angelic being. I think that is what it means by being transformed into GOLD.

thanks for putting the shabad up. it really helped!

Sexual desire, anger, Maya, intoxication and jealousy - these five have combined to plunder the world. ||1||Pause||

How is Maya one of the five? Isn't Maya sexual desire, anger, etc?

hmm, interesting. But Maya is the one who provokes the sexual desire. She isn't everything in the world, as it seems you are trying to say. heres a question, is maya the spoon we use to eat, no we couldn't say that because we can't get attached to it or love it, but you could say that for what it is used for, which is food. Once we attach, love and take pleasure from food we are indulging in Maya. Maya basically comes in the form of pleasure. Sexual desire needs Maya, which creates a form or image for us, to provoke its needs. We all have sexual desire, but Maya entices it. Only Naam can completely destroy sexual desire, making maya have no effect on you.

someone can elaborate on this, to clarify it further.

hmm, interesting. But Maya is the one who provokes the sexual desire. She isn't everything in the world, as it seems you are trying to say. heres a question, is maya the spoon we use to eat, no we couldn't say that because we can't get attached to it or love it, but you could say that for what it is used for, which is food. Once we attach, love and take pleasure from food we are indulging in Maya. Maya basically comes in the form of pleasure. Sexual desire needs Maya, which creates a form or image for us, to provoke its needs. We all have sexual desire, but Maya entices it. Only Naam can completely destroy sexual desire, making maya have no effect on you.

someone can elaborate on this, to clarify it further.

Thanks but you said sexual desire needs Maya to affect us, so how can it be one of the five which plunders the world. grin.gif

ok, here it is: in the shabad the worst of the worst evils have been highlighted here, the ones that are causing the worst sin and further seperating us from God. So, I think gurbani took the sexual desire part of maya out to highlight the worst evils, not putting them in groups like the five demons gurbani mentions.

kaam and krodh, come from maya. infact everything came from maya, but that demands a whole another topic and some very learned individuals to explain it.

okay i dunno about that part but shall the leftovers murakhs who only know too well the poison of maya have a go at this topic........think it would make one VERY interesting vichaar topic grin.gif

'infact everything came from maya'

Maya comes on earth in the form of pleasure. Thats all Maya is, pleasure. This pleasure has to be worldly pleasure, not the pleasure derived from Naam. This is why siddhas, buddhas and naths left society and lived as hermits in the forest/jungles/mountains; they did this to leave maya. But Guru nanak dev ji wants us to be inside sannyasas, not outside sannyasas like bhagat dhroo, but instead like Raja Janak.