Saint Sukdev Ji Meets King Janak

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

“O saint of saints, thousands of rituals were carried out in many of my births. These bondages of rituals have submerged me in the illusions of the world."

After uttering these words Saint Sukdev left his home and went to live in the forests in search of someone who could attach him to the lotus feet of Akaal Purakh. After wondering like this for some time Saint Sukdev returned home and was advised by his father to go and visit King Janak to become his disciple.

Before Saint Sukdev went to visit King Janak to become his disciple, he used to think, "How can a worldly person become the master of renunciation?"

As we have already seen Saint Sukdev wanted to remain free from maya even before he was born. Whenever Saint Sukdev would get these thoughts he used to ask his father, Saint Vedavyaasaa about the initiation ceremony of King Janak. Saint Vedavyaasaa would say, “King Janak is the only perfect saint in this world, but he is also a King. You may think that he is a worldly person, but he is not, and he is one of the few holy men who can take you to the path of Akaal Purakh."

So whenever Saint Sukdev would think about going to the palace of King Janak to become his disciple his mind would constantly ask, "How can a worldly person become a master of a renunciation?" It this question which prevented Saint Sukdev from visiting King Janak for many years. Eventually after travelling around India he realised that there was no one like King Janak who could give him what he really wanted. With his father’s blessings he decided to set out for King Janak’s palace with a few belongings.

When Saint Sukdev reached the courtyard of King Janak’s palace he left his worldly belongings there and then proceeded to climb some steps which led to a room in which King Janak was mediating. When King Janak heard Saint Sukdev’s footsteps he immediately got up and came to greet Saint Sukdev. As Saint Sukdev was speaking to King Janak, the King could tell that something was troubling the Saint. The same question, “How can a worldly person become a master of a renunciation?" kept appearing in Saint Sukdev’s mind. King Janak decided to teach Saint Sukdev a lesson about renunciation.

After being in the company of one another for a few hours an attendant came running into the room they were in and in a loud voice announced that the cantonment of the city was engulfed in flames. King Janak listened and thought for a moment and then calmly said, “It is the will of Akaal Purakh”. The attendant then left to see if King Janak’s forces had managed to subdue to fire.

Saint Sukdev who had been listening to this then began to think, “This person is not fit to be a king! The army is meant to be the heart of a king. But this king doesn’t seem to care about the same army which protects his very way of life? He should have gone to rescue the people who got caught up in the fire. He should have done something to save them! But he does not care.”

A few hours past in conversation until another attendant came running into the palace and said, “King Janak the whole city has caught on fire! Thousands are dying and the people of your city beseech you for help!” King Janak sat calmly once again said, “All this is the will of Akaal Purakh”. Saint Sukdev looked shocked and thought to himself, “He is a very rich king and has many wonderful things in his palace. It is probably for that reason why he does not care for his city or its people. This is the reason he keeps saying, “It’s the will of Akaal Purakh”. Clearly he doesn’t want to spend any of his wealth saving his people.”

With this thought still in his head Saint Sukdev saw another attendant of the palace running around shouting out that the courtyard in the palace had now caught fire!

At once Saint Sukdev got up and ran to save his clothes and metal cup which he had left there. King Janak caught hold of Saint Sukdev’s hand and said, “Dear brother tell me who has mastered renunciation, you or me? You had left some clothes and some other trivial things in my courtyard. As soon as you heard that they were in danger you rushed to try and save them as you feared losing them. But when God set my cantonment, my city and my palace on fire I didn’t attempt to save them as to me these things are dust. I have no attachment to them whatsoever. Taking all this into consideration tell me who is attached to the world and who is detached from it?"

Saint Sukdev fell to the floor and bowed before King Janak. He then begged King Janak to accept him as a disciple. King Janak smiled and said that Saint Sukdev would have to pass a few tests before he could become one.

To be continued.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh