New Forum Rule

Jaspaul Singh

Vaheguru ...

Balait Veerji made an excellent point that should be stressed so members feel they are not visitors on this site .. but contribute to it equally .. as much as the Sevadaars .. some members post inspirational sakhis .. pictures .. events .. recordings .. all such amazing Seva .. and it's awesome to see everyone contributing their own seva in their own special and unique way ... with Guru Sahib's Kirpa

It's understandable that the site has posted this new rule about bumping and posting new threads for new updates.. .to an extent I agree with it. However, I don't like the words used .. they seem to me to be more negative than for the benefit of this site .. words like 'advertising' ... 'site traffic' ... or phrases that suggest certain topics maybe more inspirational than others.

Singhavelli Veerji comments that the admins should discuss the possibility of allowing certain types of events to be posted more often than others .. although I agree with you on the posting of events that allow more discussion .. some people like me see the variety of events that are posted and get inspired to perhaps suggest to sevadaars to get involved with a similar event in a certain area. No one event is higher than any other event .. in my opinion .. we never know which event can inspire which individual in which way ... Also .. someone used the phrase "the type of updates that are minor" .. that personally hurt .. no updates are minor .. please .. audios/pictures/videos/articles .. are all inspiring in their own way .. just like no Seva is greater than the other .. no source of inspiration can be compared to other sources of inspiration .. because we all are affected by them differently .. some deeply .. some very deeply .. and some not at all...

Also, suggesting the following:

Think of it this way

2 blogs, each site admin posts an article every week.

Then after they post each article they bump their site update thread with the link to the article. Thats 8 bumps / month from both sites.

Instead they can just post all 4 links to new articles at the end of the month in one post.

To me this doesn't make sense .. It would make sense if the site makes a new Thread to post their updates every week ... However, I don't understand what the problem is if a site has their "Monthly Updates" thread .. and adds updates to it, whenever updates are available for that particular month?

So .. for example:

www.website.com (I just made that up for the example .. I don't know if it's real or not :s )

Updated their site with an inspiring article during week 1 of february

during week 2, they added some recordings from a samagam

during week 3, they added some amazing wallpapers and powerpoint files

during week 4, they added some recordings, events for the following month, and some pictures

- Website Sevadaars decide to open a thread on SS at the beginning of February to post their updates for week 1

- then they decide to post in the same thread .. about updates from week 2 .. then week 3 (a different post in the same thread) .. then finally week 4

Like Japmans said above "I think it's safe to say that only people who care about updates will click the topic link" ... Those who aren't interested in knowing about updates.. simply won't click on the topic .. those who want to know will get their information .. who are we to prevent anyone from posting something they personally feel is inspirational and they feel it may affect others as it has affected them?

concentrating on your own Sikhi is wonderful .. concentrating on your own Seva and not worrying about with what intentions another individual is doing their Seva is also wonderful

It's interesting you brought up the "issue" of everything will happen with Guru Kirpa .. in Guru Ji's will .. I don't really understand what you're asking though .. perhaps make it a little more clear.. or maybe it's just me..

again .. a small benti ... while I was reading this thread .. the discussion seems to be shifting in a negative direction .. I hope everyone is careful with the words they use in the future .. you never know who you're hurting with certain comments .. please .. Vaheguru

Princess i dont think you understand the rule either :s

This rule is nothing to do with events. Like i mentioned before, whenever there is an event , usually there is a topic associated with the event giving details on when its happening and where. Then it makes sense to, post any links to the audio,video, pics etc associated with that event within that topic.

The rule applies to webmasters who update their sites regularly and post the update on the forum. we have asked a lot of the webmasters to make only one update thread for their sites. The new rule is simply requesting that, web masters keep the updates to a monthly update in the existing thread. This way the forum has a balanced view of other sikhsites throughout the month.

So .. for example:

www.website.com (I just made that up for the example .. I don't know if it's real or not )

Updated their site with an inspiring article during week 1 of february

during week 2, they added some recordings from a samagam

during week 3, they added some amazing wallpapers and powerpoint files

during week 4, they added some recordings, events for the following month, and some pictures

- Website Sevadaars decide to open a thread on SS at the beginning of February to post their updates for week 1

- then they decide to post in the same thread .. about updates from week 2 .. then week 3 (a different post in the same thread) .. then finally week 4

If i was the owner of website.com then i would wait till i had majority of the pics,videos and audio for the event and then i would post it all in one go, possibly at teh end of the month if this was my own site related content. If it was mainly for the event then i would post it on the forum in the topic associated with the Event instead of the update topic of website.com

it's said that bhai fauja singh did a seva to the panth by taking care of the nirankari guru.... but everyone knows who he is... you can't say that since people know his name, therefore it's not seva...

Just to clarify that it wasnt shaheed bhai fauja singh who did this, it was actually bhai ranjit singh and bhai kabul singh ji.

Princess i dont think you understand the rule either :s

My apologies .. thanks for letting me know ... I still stand by my example of www.website.com ... but whatever you guys thinks works best for the site is good .. you guys know what's best .. I was just suggesting a common ground for websites and this site ... well whatever the rule is .. it'll workout for the best :D