Science Related To Hair

GurBaani

Reference: http://www.sikh.net/sikhism/W/Hair1.htm

Scientific Research on the Hair

The Industrial Revolution in the 18th and 19th centuries in the West provided increased avenues of employment, but at the same time lack of security measures in the factories led to several fatal accidents caused by long hair. To avoid such accidents, the workers started, though unwillingly and with a heavy heart trimming their long hair. Consequently, the number of people with long hair like that of Shakespeare decreased and with the passage of time such a breed became almost extinct. But inspire of all this one positive development that had taken place there, was a lot of good and deep research on the hair. They wanted to ascertain the benefits of keeping hair and also to find out the changes they effect in human body and temperament. The research carried out with this end in view has highlighted the fact that the hair serves as a factory providing Vitamin D for the body. Vitamin D protects a person against the fatal disease like Tuberculosis and is an essential element for bones, teeth and the nervous system. This is an item that is becoming scarce today. The reason behind its scarcity is that Vitamin D in vegetables is missing to a great extent as a result of the insecticides being sprayed for the protection of vegetable crops from certain diseases. Consequently, the lackness of Vitamin D is being felt throughout the world. The developed countries have realized this and keeping in view the grave scarcity of Vitamin D, have started producing synthetic Vitamin D. They add this vitamin to the food of the children so that they must not grow up physically weak and mentally tense persons. As against these developed and affluent nations, the poor countries can easily get precious Vitamin D for their children free from the open Sun through their long hair. The significant research has also revealed that longer the hair the more will be the production of Vitamin D through the interaction of Sun heat with the oil in the hair. Thus all this shows that keeping hair is very important for one's physical as well as mental well-being. It has also been proved on the basis of experiments that the hair tied in the form of a knot on the top of the head are capable of attracting the maximum heat energy of Sun just as the television antenna has the capacity to hold photo waves from the atmosphere. (According to Tessitas, the ancient Germans also used to tie their long hair into a knot on the top of their heads. May be, they did so with a view to obtaining the above mentioned benefits). If the rare of Vitamin D can be obtained free from Nature only by keeping long hair, health wise also it becomes imperative for human beings to keep long hair.

Next:

Reference: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/51913.php"]

First know the meaning of "Epidemic": (Ref.Wikipedia) is a classification of a disease that appears as new cases in a given human population, during a given period, at a rate that substantially exceeds what is "expected," based on recent experience (the number of new cases in the population during a specified period of time is called the "incidence rate"). SARS is an "Epidemic Influenza" emerged first in Asia.

Keep in Mind SARS is a respiratory disease.

Quote: Medical News Today: "Hope-Simpson had no way of knowing that vitamin D has profound effects on human immunity, no way of knowing that it increases production of broad-spectrum antimicrobial peptides, peptides that quickly destroy the influenza virus. We have only recently learned how vitamin D increases production of antimicrobial peptides while simultaneously preventing the immune system from releasing too many inflammatory cells, called chemokines and cytokines, into infected lung tissue."

Ok, here's the score. If Guru Granth Sahib Ji says, "Hair curs or prevents SARS" then I accept. But if a website asserts this withou scientific or Gurbani evidence, then I am not even interested. Especially such absurd statements as keeping kersh prevents SARS. That is so ridiculous that it woudl be hilarious if not so utterly dangerous!

Now, I have a degree in a scientific subject so this matter is close to my heart. But I woudl liek to say, I know of nothing in Guru Granth Sahib Ji that contradicts anything I learnt. In fact, modern science like string theory (not so modern now) is actually open to the idea of many parallel universes. Something simialr mentioned in Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

So, you see, I am not trying to start an argument, I just want teh glory and not the joke to be on Sikhi.

(374-14)

aasaa mehlaa 5.

Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:

putree tayree biDh kar thaatee.

The puppet of the body has been fashioned with great skill.

jaan sat kar ho-igee maatee. ||1||

Know for sure that it shall turn to dust. ||1||

mool samaalahu achayt gavaaraa.

Remember your origins, O thoughtless fool.

itnay ka-o tumH ki-aa garbay. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Why are you so proud of yourself? ||1||Pause||

teen sayr kaa dihaarhee mihmaan.

You are a guest, given three meals a day;

avar vasat tujh paahi amaan. ||2||

other things are entrusted to you. ||2||

bistaa asat rakat paraytay chaam.

you are just excrement, bones and blood, wrapped up in skin

is oopar lay raakhi-o gumaan. ||3||

this is what you are taking such pride in! ||3||

ayk vasat boojheh taa hoveh paak.

If you could understand even one thing, then you would be pure.

bin boojhay tooN sadaa naapaak. ||4||

Without understanding, you shall be forever impure. ||4||

kaho naanak gur ka-o kurbaan.

Says Nanak, I am a sacrifice to the Guru;

jis tay paa-ee-ai har purakh sujaan. ||5||14||

through Him, I obtain the Lord, the All-knowing Primal Being. ||5||14||

Ji Bibi/Baba... All I want to say to you is "Sant-oh Saagar Paar Utree-ai"

God Forbid ,Miripiri, that I ever dare to make a joke out of Sikhi...It's not just a word to me...It's my way of life...

Waheguru...

As against these developed and affluent nations, the poor countries can easily get precious Vitamin D for their children free from the open Sun through their long hair. The significant research has also revealed that longer the hair the more will be the production of Vitamin D through the interaction of Sun heat with the oil in the hair.

I have a question about this - does the hair still attract the vitamin D from the sun if we're wearing a dastaar? or does the hair have to be left open for this to happen?

(btw, thanks for the links, very informative)

As against these developed and affluent nations, the poor countries can easily get precious Vitamin D for their children free from the open Sun through their long hair. The significant research has also revealed that longer the hair the more will be the production of Vitamin D through the interaction of Sun heat with the oil in the hair.

I have a question about this - does the hair still attract the vitamin D from the sun if we're wearing a dastaar? or does the hair have to be left open for this to happen?

(btw, thanks for the links, very informative)

...wow! thats a real question...let me do some research...i'll get back to it...

But my views are: I think probably not...but when you take a bath...you leave your hair open or in the sun for a long time until they dry...or well you keep them open...I think that time should account for this Vitamin D process...

But on the other hand...When it's sunny...You will feel your hair getting warmer or sweaty under the dastar due to the sun's heat...That does mean that you are getting solar energy to your hair...so thinking about this...then yes, you do get Vitamin D!...

I'm stuck between 40% for no and 60% for a yes...lol

I'm not sure if you'll get my perspective...But that question is very thoughtful...I would like to find out about it...