Vaisakhi Open Air Celebrations

singh_comradz

Vaisakhi Open Air Celebrations held at Handsworth park on Sunday 27th April 2008 was a great success with an estimated attendance of 70,000 people from across the country.

On behalf of The Council of Sikh Gurdwaras in Birmingham, I would like to thank everyone who volunteered, helped out and attended the event.

Maharaj Kirpa, it'll be back next year..bigger and better!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaa Vahgeuroo Jee Kee Fateh

Nagar Kirtan was really good, especially when the Bebe Nanaki Jatha did simran to the Mela.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsaa Vahgeuroo Jee Kee Fateh

vaheguru je ka khalsa vaheguru je ke fateh

does anyone have recordings of Bebe Nanaki Jatha when they were doing simran???

does anyone also have the recordings used near the stage just before the gatka demo took place???it was akj...anyone who has the recordings please post links to recordings here....

the gatka in the rain was the best lol..

we were standing there with a umbrella between four of us lol...

the akhara did really well as they continued even when it started to rain heavily...

darbar sahib looked amazing...

the whole event was amazing..

can't wait for next year!!!

guru ji;s kirpa there was not a repeat of last year....

vaheguru je ka khalsa vaheguru je ke fateh

WJKK WJKF

The whole event was great and the nagar kirtan from Guru Nanak Gurdwara smethwick went all well. We thank all the sevadar who took part in the security and also we thank The Council Of Sikh Gurdwaras in Birmingham who took time to plan and manage th whole event.

From behalf of the Guru Nanak Gurdwara Smethwick Sangat and all sevadar we again thank The Council Of Sikh Gurdwaras in Birmingham and all the sevadars at the park.

WJKK WJKF

by the way anyy picss been uploaded..????

Vaisakhi celebrations in Handsworth Park

By Sanjay Dass, contributor

Birmingham held a free family-friendly funday celebrating Sikh culture with colourful processions, food, music, sport and arts and crafts.

The Sikh festival of Vaisakhi celebrates the formation of the Khalsa, by the tenth Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji in 1699.

The Khalsa, being the name given by Guru Gobind Singh Ji, to all Sikhs who have been baptised, by taking Amrit (holy water). The festival also marks the beginning of the Punjabi New Year and the start of the Harvest season in the Punjab, India.

Vaisakhi processions

Vaisakhi had two processions, one from the Guru Nanak Gurdwara in Smethwick, which I followed, and the second one from the Dasmesh Sikh Gurdwara in Lozells. This gave people at both Gurdwaras the chance to join the Nagar Kirtan.

Both processions concluded at Handsworth Park and in spite of the unpredictable weather there were many happy faces enjoying the colourful festivities.

There were many people doing Seva (voluntary work), who were in fluorescent yellow jackets, this was great to see. Even better, people of all ages were helping out; all to ensure the day ran smoothly.

Relaxing in the park

Arriving at Handsworth Park, the sangat (congregation) deservedly had some langar (free vegetarian food). The park was full of people enjoying the day, browsing stalls for souvenirs, watching sports activities or simply relaxing after completing the religious walk.

I spoke to a variety of people at Handsworth Park and this is what they had to tell me about Vaisakhi and the day's proceedings: Gurps Nijjar, 20, West Bromwich - "It’s very eventful and it’s got a good atmosphere and I’m really enjoying it!"

Mr Nagha, 42, from Handsworth Wood – "The day’s fine, obviously we tried to get here as early as possible to miss out all the rush, so we got here early for the Nagar Kirtan and the rides and to look round, see what’s happening and go home basically."

Gurcharan Kaur, 51, from Hall Green – "Vaisakhi means remembering Guru Gobind Singh of 1666 when they took out the Amrit for the Sangat, 85,000 of them and Vaisakhi means like remembering Guru Ji, so we can get nearer to taking the Amrit."

Family day out

Amrik Singh, 28, from Birmingham – "We’ve just come from the Nagar Kirtan now this morning from Lozells, we try to come every year with all of my family and this year with my mum, dad, my daughter, my son, it’s been a really nice day, atmosphere’s great, we’re just going to have some langar now and have a look round the funfair, the stalls and hopefully enjoy the rest of the day."

Vicky Wyton-Mills, 37, from Shirley – "My friend Baljit at work told me about this and said it was Vaisakhi and asked me to come down, she said it would be good, so we thought we’d just come and have a look, it’s good, it’s nice the weather’s lovely, it’s just nice having a mooch about."

Surinder Kular, 41, Walsall – "I’m here with my family, wife and three daughters, the weather was looking good in the early part of the day but now it’s raining, there’s part of the congregation here and I can see happy faces, people enjoying themselves regardless of the weather."

Representing Sikhs

Taranjit Atwal, 18, from Handsworth Wood – "We've done the Nagar Kirtan today, it was really good I just love the fact that we got to represent our culture and walk all the way here, it’s just good to see all these people together representing all the Sikhs that are out here!"

Thanks to everyone I interviewed, it was great meeting and talking to a diverse mix of people, I had a fantastic day; so until next year, I wish you all a very Happy Vaisakhi!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/ar...8_feature.shtml

post-8943-1209506329.jpg

VJKK VJKF,

We have got somephotos from the sangat from the event however there are still just 12-13 in the gallery:

http://sikhroots.net/photos/2008/0427Smeth...tan_Birmingham/

If anyone would like to send your photos/recordings/videos from any event then please either PM us here.

OR please follow the instructions here:

http://www.sikhroots.com/index.php?option=...8&Itemid=65

We are still getting the photographs coming in and hopefully there will be at least 20 more by the end of this week, so please keep checking back.

VJKK VJKF,

SR :)