What Is Mind?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think and to feel, the faculty of consciousness and thought

associated with the ogran of the sentral nervous system refered to as the brain

also known as dimaag

I shall refer to the above. All that you have stated leads to a conclusion that mind is not tangible in itself as it is a consciousness. If it is so why has it been stated to be a structure of five elements.? it is the precise question.

If one dies the brain dies but is it true for the mind?

If the mind also dies, as it should as it is made up of five elements, how is it that we can take our Simran and the state of consciousness in the next lives. Kindly go thru. the initial few posts so that the context of the question asked becomes clear.

It is already a prolonged discussion without fruitful results.

Thanks for answering and taking all the pains.

i dont think the mind is the same as soul, so in a sense, it does die

when a sould takes a new body, it takes a new brain, personality, etc, therefore a different consciousness

ur simran goes with your soul, which is eternal

i dont think the mind is the same as soul, so in a sense, it does die

when a sould takes a new body, it takes a new brain, personality, etc, therefore a different consciousness

ur simran goes with your soul, which is eternal

I again take up for the subject of doubt.

If mind dies it should be of five elements.It is supported by Bani.

But as per that you have stated in earlier posts is that mind is a part of brain involved in the process of thinking only .It also adds up to your logic.

But if mind dies and is of five elements then it must have an identifiable seat in the body. Where is the seat of mind in the body?.

Kindly do not , even for a moment ,think that I am trying to contradict you. I have put in lot of time and could not reconcile and hence this question.

[Kindly forgive me for my rudeness as I have thougt of this too much and too manyh times and therefore, respond quite quickly.]

Regards to all

vaheguru jio

i choose to interpret that line of gurbaani differently. I don't believe it's saying that the mind is a tangible item made of the 5 elements.

note, it says that the mind is BORN of the five elements.

desire is also born of elements.. KAAM is not a tangible item, yet it too is born by flesh, by taste, things that are tangible.

The MIND is born of the five elements because of the environments which we are in. I'm now more certain of that because of that tuk... the mind, the function of the mind, the purpose of the mind, the reason the mind comes to exist is because of the five elements that make up the rest of this wondrous creation.

in the same shabad, it says the "mind overpowers and subdues the five passions"... overpowers and subdues?? how?? if the mind is tangible, then it must have strong arms and strong muscles to overpower the five passions....

later on in that same shabad, it says "the mind is intoxicated with the sublime essence of the Lord"... Sublime Essence of the Lord?!?!? but THE LORD is formless timeless birthless deathless, how can such a Being have an essence?!?! Intoxication?? you have to drink something to become intoxicated.. or smell something... or smoke it??? How do you intoxicate the mind?!?! how does the mind take a sip of a drink to become intoxicated??? What does that drink look like, that drink of the Lord??? what does that scent smell like, that scent of the lord, and how does the mind smell it? the mind must have a nose? a mouth, if it is an intoxication that results from inhaling the chemical of the Lord???

Gurbani is the drink, the scent, the "chemical", and gurbani is equally intangible.. sure we see the words, but that's about all we know, until we do some serious Khoj. And then, it's our mind which is affected by actual implementation of this baani in our life... when our life takes a right-about turn, when we follow the aatmic maarag of our sachay paatshaah, then our mind becomes good, our mind overpowers the putrid negative thoughts of the Five Passions, and the mind becomes a bottomless bowl that strives to fill itself with the powerful message, the powerful essence of Gurbaani.

Vaheguru

Summing up in a line all that you have said about mind is that it is a aprt of Brain only i.e of five elements and is subjected to life and death.

unfortunately, that's not what I was saying at all. I'm not giving it any tangibility. I'm not saying it's a part of the brain. I'm not even saying it's a brain function. The mind is its own entity.

If the mind was part of some bigger thing, and was controlled by something other than itself, then why would gurbaani spend so much time focussing on ways to harness the power of the mind? The mind is its own shakti. It carries its own importance, responsibilities, roles, purposes, and power.

I get the feeling you disagree, so let us respectfully agree to disagree.