What Is Mind?

the mind and soul are one, but both have different roles/pruposes etc

no way does the mind turn into dust! the mind and soul go together.

man too joth saroop hai apna mool pachaan

the mind (mann) is jot saroop of akal purakh and also there is no difference between soul and waheguroo.

the mind is entangled in maya, hence it is full of thoughts, paap/pun. simran cleans the mind. this is the game of our life and reason of our being to do simran which cleans our mind to go back...

this is all a game waheguroo has created, because it is his will!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Manpret and Rsingh ji and Gupt kaur and all those who have taken lots of pains to put acros the mind. Special thanks to Manpreet ji for a nice and a post where lot of time and energy must have been put in.

Yes, for me it is ongoing exercise and shall take time in conceptualisation. Gubani is not against learning. It ,on the other hand, advises us to attain and improve upon the spiritual wisdom.

Rsingh ji, Soul is not a mind. This body is the garment given to the soul and this body is of five elements and it contains thoughts through brain only ;And mind is all but bundle of thoughts.I doubt if it has any physical place in our body. If it has the location 'very close' to heart as stated by manpreet ji, should be known to the Medical experts by now.Mind is an area of psychology/psychiatry or psycho-analysis and it has also not proved any thing like mind being part of our body.

The more I think the more I tend to belive that there has to be a significant relationship between the mind and the Brain. However, i am not clear and will not expand on this.may be after some time when I learn more with HIS grace.

Hope your excellent guidance continues and all the luck to all.

Regards to all.

I recommend you read the english translation of Siddh Ghost. This is a bani in Guru Granth Sahbi ji whereing Maharaj discusses many important spiritual questions with the Siddh yogis. i also recommend listening to katha on this bani, so you learn even deeper.

Bani referes to Mind at at many places. I have following questions that the honorable members may like to advise on.

1.What exactly is this mind?

2.Is it tangible or intangible?

3.What happens to mind when we die?

4.What is its seat in our body or otherwise.?

5.How Simran goes with us in the next life? It should be thru. the mind or the soul?

6.Does mind also die with the physical death?

7. Are we born with the mind that we leave behind after the death?

Kindly support your answers with bani's quote and I shall be highly oblidged.

Regards to all.

some really deep questions, everyone should ponder upon these questions instead of getting their knickers in a twist because sardar was doing bhangra in british talented show.

anyway i ll try my best:

1. Man Tu Jot Saroop hai, apna mool painchain ||. Essence of man is jot, its ansh of jot after aman(no thoughts) there was man and it became man(thought via upadis).

2. Intangible, because maan is illusionary.

3. If you want to put mind into words, then man consist - {man, chit, buddh, ahankar } also known as antish karan, after death- man transcedent the body along with 15 other elements (5 gyan indrie, 5 karam indraie, 5 prans)

4. Think of our atma(soul) as ocean, mind as waves in that ocean.

5. Simran is done via mind, idea is to make man- "aman"/nirvakalp/sehaj samadi via simran so our oneself can go back and reside to our own roots which is jot(atma).

6. No, man takes birth via upadhi, dies with upadi which is maya(illusion).

7. same answer as above.

i ll dig deep for quotes from gurbani for all the answers provided..some of quotes may not be clear cut...because remember gurbani encourages student to do more khoj...so it opens list of questions for eg: like questions given by sri dasam patsah in sri akaal ustat, and sri gyan probodh, not all the answers are given, because answers of those questions are relative, it based on individual's expereince (anubhav parkash) and there is no question of right or wrong, at that point its based on avastha and one's anubhav parkash.

besoft ji, i didnt say mind is soul, they are connected as one... i'm quite busy nowadays, but if i have time i wil try to provide more info with gurbani support.

also a thought for you, mind is JOTH SAROOP, it is not illusion/fake. how can it be?

Dear rsingh ji,

It was my mistake friend, please do forgive for not interpreting correctly.

I fully appreciate your predicament that you want to look into Bani and make me know the things that I want to know.

Yes, Bani says,

mun toon jyot swaroop hey....

But what is 'mun[mind]'? Is it part of body ..No..

Is it our thought process?..may be may be not.

plus

all the questions that have been posted and have ben very pointedly answered by namstang ji as well. I do want have a look at the Bani.

Bani clearly states at many places that 'mun' or mind is made up of five elements.? If it is so it should be in the cycle of death and birth>

Can it be so?

These are primary doubts that I want to get rid of and i feel quite disturbed that even after the guidance that i have received i still have questions.May be my level of understanding is very poor.

But with time things do get sorted out and I hope the guidance shall continue.

To me it appears that the thread can be declared as Sticky. I do want to get this thread declared as sticky so that it can be followed up by those interested.

How is it done? kindly let it be known if you know the rules of forum.

Namstang ji, I shall wait for bani support and then react with the doubts as i have some lines of bani that i am trying to connect.

Sorry for mistakes.

Regards.

iehu mnu pMc qqu qy jnmw ] (415-10, Awsw, mÚ 1)

This mind is born of the five elements.

This is the first line of Bani that has created confusion that mind is made up of five elements.If it is so it must be tangible and should be subjected to life and death process or cycle.

Kindly clarify as to what mind is.

the element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think and to feel, the faculty of consciousness and thought

associated with the ogran of the sentral nervous system refered to as the brain

also known as dimaag

i might be going off topic but why not ask one of the main camp organisors like BOSS or KHALSA camp organisors to have a lecture on ''what is the mind?'' at their summer camps?

sorry just thought it would be a wise idea as so many of us are probably trying to answer the same question...