What Is Mind?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I have no gurbani to back this up.. Just something I remember either reading or hearing.

But I'll throw it out there.

The mind is the intangible force that creates our thoughts, which are created based upon our state (whether we're gurmukh, for example, or maybe we're kaami, krodhi, lobhi, mohi, ahankaari, etc)

our thoughts MAY lead into actions, thereby creating karma... other thoughts may simply be rejected, replaced, or forgotten, and not acted upon.

our karma is carried through in our soul, which carries through our joons, from life to life.

We are accountable for our actions. We are given the ability to decipher at an extremely rudimentary and elementary level between right and wrong. Man will not be punished for engaging in the human nature of thought, which is why I disagree when people say a thought is as bad as an action... Sometimes, we don't even choose to think a certain way.. Thoughts are spurred upon by previous actions, or the environment in which we exist, or other reasons... Bad thoughts, evil thoughts can be changed if they are addressed, if they are realized to be bad and evil. Doing this prevents us from actually engaging in evil deeds, because we choose to not act upon our thoughts.... Therefore, we slowly build our mind to a higher level of consciousness, and the thoughts we have become more sublime and pure.

These purer, more sublime thoughts lead us to engage in activities that are "good" or "better", thereby bettering our karma, which is the "footprint" of our soul, that which we carry from life to life.

These are just my thoughts.... I haven't done enough khoj of gurbani to back it up, so I'm probably way off and very wrong.

peacemaker, your mind is the creator of all your thoughts. it is different from your memory, and your memory is a brain function.

do you remember each of the thoughts you had as a six year old? No, but it's somewhere in your mind, it was once created by your mind, but not stored in your memory, which is a part of your brain. My point is... you don't remember your past lives, but chances are, you don't remember something you thought even last week. Our purpose is to continue to better ourselves, and that's a feeling you'll get from within... by doing more kamaaee, more meditation, more seva, sangat, simran (as you know... The Three S`s ;) ) It`s not entirely important to know where we were in our last life...If it was, God would have given us this ability for our current life...

In fact, God has given us everything we require in order to foster a connetion with him. Whether we do so through our actions and kamaee is another story altogether.

I did know that the response of the memebers will be so quick and some of us will cut jokes. Anyway, friends, It was your privilege.

In Bani mind is said to be of panch tatvas[five basic elements];thus it is also subject to life and death process. I shall request all of you to kindly refrain from sarcasm as it is not a part of sikhi.

I just want to know how does our 'simran' goes with us when we die.if it is a brain function, the barin dies and the grey cell also. Kindly think it over and there is no hurry. We are all here unless He sends us a call.

Yes, I do need a book on Brain; how shall you send ;it shall cost you a lot.No! I am a poor person and can't even afford the courier expenses.

Regards to all.

Jap mun satnaam sda sat naam................

I just want to know how does our 'simran' goes with us when we die.if it is a brain function, the barin dies and the grey cell also. Kindly think it over and there is no hurry. We are all here unless He sends us a call.

Regards to all.

Jap mun satnaam sda sat naam................

penje, firstly im very sorry for the lame joke.

and anyway....as far as i know, as we jap naam, i think our soul turns red..... sorry for my poor interpretation, heard katha once, where i was told that the amount of simran we do, gets recorded on our 'mastak' ..our forehead in a red colour.... this way, oncewe die, all dooors open to whoever has this on their forehead, even mountains give way to that gusikh who did bandagi in this human birth. and please read this :

mwxs jnmu dulµBu gurmuiK pwieAw ]

maanas janam dhula(n)bh guramukh paaeiaa ||

For if you depart with virtue, then pain shall never afflict you. ||5||

mnu qnu hoie culµBu jy siqgur BwieAw ]1]

man than hoe chula(n)bh jae sathigur bhaaeiaa ||1||

The mind and body are dyed in the deep red color of devotional love, if it pleases the True Guru. ||1||

clY jnmu svwir vKru scu lY ]

chalai janam savaar vakhar sach lai ||

He departs with his life embellished and successful, taking the merchandise of the True Name.

piq pwey drbwir siqgur sbid BY ]1] rhwau ]

path paaeae dharabaar sathigur sabadh bhai ||1|| rehaao ||

He is honored in the Darbaar, the Royal Court, of the Lord, through the Shabad, the Word of the True Guru, and the Fear of God. ||1||Pause||

min qin scu slwih swcy min BwieAw ]

man than sach salaahi saachae man bhaaeiaa ||

One who praises the True Lord with his mind and body, pleases the Mind of the True Lord.

lwil rqw mnu mwinAw guru pUrw pwieAw ]2]

laal rathaa man maaniaa gur pooraa paaeiaa ||2||

Attuned to the Beloved Lord, the mind is appeased, and finds the Perfect Guru. ||2||

hau jIvw gux swir AMqir qU vsY ]

ho jeevaa gun saar a(n)thar thoo vasai ||

I live, by cherishing Your Glorious Virtues; You dwell deep within me.

qUM vsih mn mwih shjy ris rsY ]3]

thoo(n) vasehi man maahi sehajae ras rasai ||3||

You dwell within my mind, and so it naturally celebrates in joyful delight. ||3||

mUrK mn smJwie AwKau kyqVw ]

moorakh man samajhaae aakho kaetharraa ||

O my foolish mind, how can I teach and instruct you?

gurmuiK hir gux gwie rMig rMgyqVw ]4]

guramukh har gun gaae ra(n)g ra(n)gaetharraa ||4||

As Gurmukh, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord, and so become attuned to His Love. ||4||

inq inq irdY smwil pRIqmu Awpxw ]

nith nith ridhai samaal preetham aapanaa ||

Continually, continuously, remember and cherish your Beloved Lord in your heart.

jy clih gux nwil nwhI duKu sMqwpxw ]5]

jae chalehi gun naal naahee dhukh sa(n)thaapanaa ||5||

For if you depart with virtue, then pain shall never afflict you. ||5||

mnmuK Brim Bulwxw nw iqsu rMgu hY ]

manamukh bharam bhulaanaa naa this ra(n)g hai ||

The self-willed manmukh wanders around, deluded by doubt; he does not enshrine love for the Lord.

mrsI hoie ivfwxw min qin BMgu hY ]6]

marasee hoe viddaanaa man than bha(n)g hai ||6||

He dies as a stranger to his own self, and his mind and body are spoiled. ||6||

gur kI kwr kmwie lwhw Gir AwixAw ]

gur kee kaar kamaae laahaa ghar aaniaa ||

Performing service to the Guru, you shall go home with the profit.

:pray: Vahegurooo :pray:

Thanks for your beautiful answer. But do you really think that our foreheads really get red?. And even if gets so we do not have any proof to be sustained by bani.Katha is always an exaggeration as it is meant to explain the concepts and not the facts that are in it. Ramayan is a katha to tell us as to how to be a God like person.May be it is not a Katha and is a reality. I do not know..

I shall request you to kindly let it be known as to what exactly is mind;And where does to go after death and what is its seat here as anything of Panch tatvas should be in the cycle of life and death. And so it should exist with us and die with us. No!

I am sorry to be stuborn and obstinate but I am stuck up here and that is why I need help may be at the cost of some sarcasm.it does not matter till I am answered.

Sorry for the mistakes but I have conveyed that i wanted to.It is too late here.

Gud Night.

Jap mun stanaam sda satnaam.

..Sda satnaam sda satnam....sda satnaam ..sda satnaam.........

English is a funny language.......what do u think.?

Waheguru Jee Kaa Khalsa Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh

The Mind

vin munai j horee naal lujhunaa jaasee junum guvaae

Those who battle against something other than their own mind, shall depart having wasted their lives.

Basically those who are totally indulged in the world, materialistic pleasures,I.E. Houses, Cars, Clothes, making Money also always involved in arguements, slander, lust, anger, ego, greed, attachment, other vices etc will waste away their lives in vain.

Buddhism is a very spiritual 'religion' they do not believe in God. Buddhists believe to liberate the mind and soul you have to purify the mind through meditation, so therefore they believe the mind is the universe. Sikhism is slightly different we believe in God, Vahiguroo we also believe the mind is the universe and can only be purified through meditation, through purifying the mind we attain union with God. Both religions reach the stage of Sunn Samaadh (emptiness) the only difference is Buddhists basically call the mind God. Daas' personal view on this is if you believe there is a God it should help you keep a stronger faith and keep us humble, when Buddhists say the mind is the universe even though it is true this could lead to ego, where as a Gursikh would say God created the Universe and gave us the potential to purify our mind through Naam.

mun thoon joth suroop hai aapunaa mool pushaan

O my mind, you are the embodiment of the Divine Light - recognize your own origin.

mun siaanup shoddeeai gur kaa subudh sumaalae

Renounce your cleverness, O my mind, and reflect upon the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

Where is the mind? What is the mind? Why do we have a mind?

The mind lies very close to your Heart. As Human beings, we have been given the opportunity to realize the biggest power of the universe, THE MIND. The mind lies in all beings E.G. Dog, Cat, Rat, Human etc. Out of 8.4 million life forms, the Human has been gifted the power to realise and purify this so called filthy and dirty mind (thoughts, desires).

munumukh maanus dhaeh thai pusoo puraeth achaeth chungaerae

Animals and ghosts said to be without wisdom are better than manmukh the mind-orientated.

Guru Jee is slapping us across the face here in this pangtee above saying animals have mind and soul but are gifted no wisdom nor knowledge by Guru Jee. Even so they are better than Humans who have been gifted both knowledge and wisdom and also can work out the difference between right and wrong, even then we choose wrong (shame on us). A human has been gifted this life to become one to one with Vahiguroo after suffering hell on Earth with the same one mind through 8.4 million lives (body).

This mind has millions and millions of disgusting thoughts as it has lived through all these life forms for example some times when we dream we never know what we have dreamt, or we cannot recognise what we have dreamt, the reason for this is because the mind has been through many bodies and lives before coming into the Human body. We have been there before but we only recognise the events from this life. All ill health, both mental and physical stress can be tracked back into the inner poison that dwells within our mind known as delusion.

bhee puraapath maanukh dhaehureeaa

This human body has been gifted to you.

gobindh milun kee eih thaeree bureeaa

This is your chance to meet the Lord of the Universe.

How do we purify this filthy mind which has over 30,000 thoughts per day, most of these being Negative? All the treasures of the Universe lie in the mind. Once involved in spirituality, mediation, in purifying the mind we can very easily come to the stages of occult powers (Riddhiaa Siddhiaa). Most spiritual people use these powers for the wrong reasons for example earning money. Some of these powers are as follow, reading palms; they are really reading your mind and working out your past present and future. They try to find fame by feeling no pain for example pulling buses with their hair, breaking bricks with their heads, putting sharp swords into their bodies, pain healers. These are all small powers you receive easily through the mind. There are many more powers the Human body and soul have. One of them is building your clairvoyance (Antarjaamta) to the very highest levels, even as far as knowing what is going to happen in all 3 worlds: past, present and future.

ridh sidh nuv nidh har jap jinee aathum jeethaa

Wealth, the supernatural spiritual powers of the Siddhas, and the nine treasures come to those who meditate on the Lord, and conquer their own soul.

The body has 10 gates 9 of them are open; 2 eyes; 2 nostrils; 2 ears, mouth and 2 below the waist. The 10th is our spiritual gate in the crown of the head (a babies soft point). This always stays closed, this will only open through meditation and blessings by SatGuru (True Guru). When this opens completely our meditation on Naam (name of God) recites its self with every single breath, 24 hours a day, we then get caught up in spiritual powers, see all the spirits around us, see only bright light when we close our eyes and have the potential to live in all 3 worlds. These are all powers of Vahiguroo, which are called Riddhiaa Siddhiaa. The Sikh faith believes through meditation, purifying the mind and most of all, Guru Jee's blessing (Gurprasaad), these powers are very easily attained.The only time they should be used are for the good of humanity, mankind or helping the helpless. If we use them otherwise, we go against our Guru’s teachings and progress no further in our spiritual life; we actually start to go backwards in our Jeevan (life) because we are too involved in worldly affairs. The reason for this is we start to live our life in the past, present and future, which completely destroys our mind. There is only one reason a Sikh meditates, to purify his mind. This is to become one to one with God, and one to one with his/her creation. We have to find contentment within ourselves and become content with his/her creation, as in realising God everywhere, Just like Bhai Kanaiya Jee did.

Our mind is our inner voice which tells us to be selfish always negative it hardly ever tells us to be positive and compassionate, the mind is ego and can only be purified through Naam.

vujaaeiaa vaajaa poun no dhuaarae purugutt keeeae dhusuvaa guputh rukhaaeiaa

He blew the breath of life into the musical instrument of the body, and revealed the nine doors; but He kept the Tenth Door hidden.

gurudhuaarai laae bhaavunee eikunaa dhusuvaa dhuaar dhikhaaeiaa

Through the Gurdwara, the Guru's Gate, some are blessed with loving faith, and the Tenth Door is revealed to them. qh

theh anaek roop naao nuv nidh this dhaa anth n jaaee paaeiaa

There are many images of the Lord, and the nine treasures of the Naam; His limits cannot be found.

kehai naanuk har piaarai jeeo gufaa andhar rakh kai vaajaa puvun vujaaeiaa

Says Nanak, the Lord placed the soul to the cave of the body, and blew the breath of life into the musical instrument of the body. 38

eaehu saachaa sohilaa saachai ghar gaavuhu

Sing this true song of praise in the true home of your soul.

gaavuhu th sohilaa ghar saachai jithai sudhaa such dhiaavehae

Sing the song of praise in your true home; meditate there on the True Lord forever.

sucho dhiaavehi jaa thudh bhaavehi gurumukh jinaa bujhaavehae

They alone meditate on You, O True Lord, who are pleasing to Your Will; as Gurmukh, they understand.

eihu such subhunaa kaa khusum hai jis bukhusae so jun paavehae

This Truth is the Lord and Master of all; whoever is blessed, obtains it.

kehai naanuk such sohilaa suchai ghar gaavehae

Says Nanak, sing the true song of praise in the true home of your soul. 39

anudh sunuhu vuddubhaageeho sugul munoruth poorae

Listen to the song of bliss, O most fortunate ones; all your longings shall be fulfilled.

paarubrehum prubh paaeiaa outhurae sugul visoorae

I have obtained the Supreme Lord God, and all sorrows have been forgotten.

dhookh rog sunthaap outhurae sunee suchee baanee Pain, illness and suffering have departed, listening to the True Bani.

sunth saajun bheae surusae poorae gur thae jaanee

The Saints and their friends are in ecstasy, knowing the Perfect Guru.

sunuthae puneeth kehuthae pavith sathigur rehiaa bhurupoorae Pure are the listeners, and pure are the speakers; the True Guru is all-pervading and permeating.

binuvunth naanuk gur churun laagae vaajae anehudh thoorae

Prays Nanak, touching the Guru's Feet, the unstruck sound current of the celestial bugles vibrates and resounds. 401

Singh Sahib Jogee Harbhajan Singh says, “the mind is a unit energy given to you by God to serve you. Be its guide and not its slave."

Waheguru Jee Kaa Khalsa Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh