Rababi Bhai Lal Ji

It is an accepted fact that Sikhism propagates the use of Raag and Gurbani as a means of worship of the Almighty. This tradition has been passed down through the innovation of Raagis (Those that sing the Raags.) The very first raagi acknowleged in Sikh history was Guru Nanak Dev Jis trusted friend and companion Bhai Mardana Ji. Legend has it that when Guru Nanak was given Bani to recite to the world from the Divine, the same power would also instruct Bhai Mardana to pluck the Rabab in a certain Raag. Thus Raag and Gurbani became two spirits in one.

Bhai Mardana was then known as a Rababi and the subsequent Rababi tradition has developed from him. In memory of this it is suspected that the last member of this Rababi tradition is Bhai Lal Ji, Pakistan. Bhai Lal ji is suspected to be the 17th generation descendent of Bhai Mardana keeping alive the Rababi tradition that has almost been forgotten in the Sikh panth.

Although being a Muslim, Bhai Lal ji is devoted to the kirtan traditions of Gurmat Sangeet. Born in 1929 Bhai Lal ji formerly known as Ashiq Ali Hussein grew up watching his father who was the Hazoori Ragi at Goindwal Sahib. He learnt Gurmukhi at primary school before devoting his life to kirtan. He initially spent two years under the instruction of Bhai Khisita at Amritsar before being taken under the fold of the legendary Rababi Bhai Chand Ji. “Since then I came to be known as Bhai Lal and have been addressed so, ever since,” he recalls

Despite pleas from the Sikh community, Bhai lal Ji left for Pakistan with his father at the time of partition. It was here that he settled, married and raised four sons. Despite adoring the kirtan maryada that is deeply infused in his heart, due to lack of Sikh patronage in Pakistan this has not been put to good use. Although his sons also have acquired a great deal of respect for Gurbani, they have not adopted the family business so to speak. Bhai Lal ji states, “Two of my sons are electricians, while one polishes utensils and the youngest remains a free roamer despite having passed plus 2,” He says this with deep regret as something so special is at the brink of extinction.

Unfortunately, there are only a few opportunities to hear Bhai Lal ji in Pakistan. He states that he is only invited to do kirtan when a jatha from abroad comes to Pakistan for yatra or when he is seldom invited for a kirtan at a house. He has also acknowledged that the Sindhi community are the ones who really appreciate Kirtan and Gurmat Sangeet in Pakistan.

Bhai Lal ji used to be a regular at Durbar Sahib, Amritsar (The Golden Temple) in the pre partition days. The last time he performed at Durbar Sahib was in 1962 for two hours. Shortly after this a rule was passed by the SGPC that no non Amrit Dhari can be permitted to do kirtan in Durbar Sahib to protect the Sikh image. The desire to still pay homage to Satguru Ramdas ji at Durbar Sahib is deeply enshrined in Bhai Lal Jis heart, which is one dream that may not come true.

Nevertheless, Bhai Lal ji still remains a well respected figure in the Sikh religion today. He has kept the tradition of Bhai Mardana alive and has been honoured by the following Sikh organisations for his ability in Raag and his love for the Guru. He was awarded by many including SGPC, the Delhi Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, Damdami Taksal, Patna Sahib, Hazoor Sahib and others.

May his memory and his melodious kirtan live on in our hearts.

post-8943-1210109724.jpg

Bhai Lal also was thrown out of Gurdwara Dehra Sahib, Lahore for having tobaaco in his pocket about 5 years ago.

If he wanted his sons to continue the family tradition why didnt he teach them when they were young?

Now they are older they have their own careers and such , they are less likely to return to their family tradition.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• Topics

• If relationship with Guru is strong, then kanga is done twice a day, and turban should never be taken off or put on like a hat, there is a lot wrong with that as it is against rehit! maryada is to take off every layer of turban/pagh/dumalla individually, and tie fresh turban each time!
    • the whole 'your husband/wife is chosen for you'/sanjog thing is real, it's just that a lot of people end up marrying the wrong person. they did not end up with the person that was meant for them. my friend, you should marry someone who you feel a connection with and love. there are millions of sikh girls, i'm sure you can find someone who aligns with your sensibilities and who you can truthfully say that you love. sikhi does not say anything against love marriages. you can also be in a loveless arranged marriage which is a safe option b/c both families are more inclined to keep the union intact. i was one of those people who was like meh, i guess i'll just get arranged to some sikh. well i finally started dating for the first time this year and i'm getting married to someone that i love and cannot even imagine leaving. i think it's better to have lost & lost than never loved at all. unfortunately, a lot of people confuse love w/ looks & lust. a lot of men go for the fittest girl they can find and think they won the jackpot or something. in reality, your partner should be like an extremely loved best friend. there's a reason why it's a fact that the most stable and long-lasting relationships started as friendships.  i also think a lot of women are petty and divorce over small reasons, but there's other terrible things like high cheating rates as well. that's why the divorce rate in the west is high. be careful out there.
    • andrew tate praises sikhi too & likes sikhs. his brother also donated to sikh families iirc. they just like any "alpha" religion and tbh islam is the most "alpha" in their eyes. islam is very good at promoting that image. but imo a real alpha man doesn't command respect by beating up his wive(s) or forcing them to wear a burqa. a real man will have his woman listen to him w/o raising a hand or his voice, and command respect by being respectful. he leads by example and integrity. that's true masculinity. you get the idea. + yes, it's definitely true that islam is growing rapidly and making massive inroads. strength in numbers + belief will do that. but rlly it's just because of the birth rate. a lot of them are muslim b/c it's their "identity" just like how a lot of young sikhs will say they're "culturally sikh" or whatever. there just aren't billions of sikhs who lambast their identity everywhere and have strict and linear rules like in islam. besides, the reality is that islam and its followers are some of the most morally bankrupt. you can see all the weird trans rules in iran, bacche baazi in afghanistan, visiting brothels, watching p*rn, p*dophilia what goes on behind the scenes in countries like uae & qatar, etc, and come to your conclusions. you can google all the stats yourself and see which countries do the most of these ^.   
    • stop associating with hinduism, that's the absolutely worst thing you can do as a sikh. not sure if you noticed but the entire world looks down upon and spits at india & hindus, literally no one respects them and considers them weak and cowardly. literally 1+ billion of them but not perceived as a strong religion commandeering respect. 
    • you wrote a whole lot but told us nothing. what exactly did you do wrong to make you feel this way?

Important Information

Terms of Use