Clarifications On Dasam Granth

Inder Singh

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

brothers what is the history of Anandpur Bir? As for four birs it is Giani Gyan Singh in 'Panth Parkash' who gives credence to four out of various birs. And 'Mahan kosh only gives credibility to two.

Apne

I think you should use your common sense when you talk on a topic that is embedded in sikh psyche for 300 years.Do not you know that Giani Gian singh writes in Twarikh guru khalsa acounts based on second hand sources.Can you tell me when this was written.that is the point you should ponder upon.I know from where you are getting this trash .It is from globalsikhstudies a heretic site.

Why do not you read contemporary sikh literature like Gurushobha by Kavi sainapat,Bhat vahis and Rehatnamas of Nand lal,Chaupa singh, desa singh ji.I hope you will refer the book before creating misinformation in the minds of young sikhs.

Some websites and scholars mention that Sri Akal Ustat and Sri Gyan Parbodh are incomplete banis ? Is this true ??

Thanks

harinder singh ji

Akal ustat has 271.5 verses.That means one line is not written by Guru sahib to make it 272 verses.That is what people write about akal ustat being incomplete.Akal ustat is praise of God.Many say that Guru ji left one line on purpose to show that God's praise is beyond description.

I have not found any such thing in Gian Parbodh.If you have some refrence please post here.

Some websites and scholars mention that Sri Akal Ustat and Sri Gyan Parbodh are incomplete banis ? Is this true ??

Thanks

harinder singh ji

Akal ustat has 271.5 verses.That means one line is not written by Guru sahib to make it 272 verses.That is what people write about akal ustat being incomplete.Akal ustat is praise of God.Many say that Guru ji left one line on purpose to show that God's praise is beyond description.

I have not found any such thing in Gian Parbodh.If you have some refrence please post here.

There is some Bhai Anurag Singh, head of some itihaas comitte of SGPC.I was listenening to his speech at some conference and he said that gyan parbodh was left incomplete. Some websites also mention this fact.

Source: http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Gian_Prabodh

GIAN PRABODH (Guide to Enlightenment), included in Guru Gobind Singh`s Dasam Granth, is a long poem in Braj employing sixteen different metres. It comprises two independent pans, the first, i.e. the introductory one (stanzas 1 to 125), beginning with laudation of the Almighty who is depicted as Supreme, beyond comprehension, non dual, infinite, invisible, unattached, desirelcss and fearless. The Supreme Being is the Creator and Succourer of the universe, and the Embodiment of Supreme Bliss. He is beyond Time and beyond retribution for karma. All pilgrimages, practices of yoga, renunciation of the world, are meaningless if He is not remembered. The second part consists of 211 stanzas (126336), each a quatrain with the exception of two couplets (250 and 253). The theme of this part is the practical philosophy of the world. The expositions are professed in the form of highly metaphysical dialogues, between Jivatman and Paramatman, and the nature of dtman and fourfold worldly dharma i.e. politics {raj dharma), charity (dan dharma), household life (BHOG dharma) and liberation (moksa dharma) have been defined. How this fourfold religion of man is to be lived is illustrated from the legends of the Mahdbhdrata and from the tales of the successors of Yudhishlhira and his brothers, namely Priksit, Janmejya and his son, Ajai Singh, born of a concubine. This is the name given to the sixth Bani in the second holy scriptures of the Sikhs called the Dasam Granth. This text spans from page 325 to page 643 of the 1478 pages of this holy book of the Sikhs. (Original text is over 1428 pages). Another highly devotional ballad comprising 336 verses, Guru Gobind Singh ji praises the qualities of the Almighty. The text then deals with a dialogue the soul has with the King of Souls (the Almighty), where emotions, the play of various eras (Satyug, Treta, Dwapur and Kalyug) are discussed. The four facets of Dharm (righteousness) are deliberated (Bhog, Raaj, Dhaan, and Mokh). However, only Dhaan Dharam has been discussed, the other 3 facets have not, which leads many to belive this work was left unfinished.

The summary of this Bani is narrated by Gobin Sadan at:

<banned site filter activated> "This composition has two main divisions. The first part is devoted to the praise of the Almighty God, He who is all prevading, Omniscient and Omnipotent. His various attributes, His might, magnanimity and his greatness are the subject of this part of Gyan Prabodh. The entire description follows the tradition of gurbani and elucidates the main ideas that are presented within it. The second part is in the form of a dialogue in which the soul questions God about that super power whose radiance and glory is unending. The answers are all within. He is without differences of caste, creed, religion. For Him friend and foe are alike.

Then the soul asks about the four dharmas in answer the four dharmas are elaborated upon. These are Raj dharma, Daan dharma, Bhog dharma and Mokh dharma. Giving examples from the lives of great personalities as mentioned in the various scriptures about Daan Dharam have been explained to the soul. The writing also is a source of knowledge and wisdom since in it we find elucidated the various kinds of Yagnas that were performed and how they were performed. This information is very significant since no other source of information regarding these exists. This is an incomplete piece of writing because the three other dharmas mentioned have not been elaborated upon."

Thanks

harinder singh ji

There is some Bhai Anurag Singh, head of some itihaas comitte of SGPC.I was listenening to his speech at some conference and he said that gyan parbodh was left incomplete. Some websites also mention this fact.

GIAN PRABODH (Guide to Enlightenment), included in Guru Gobind Singh`s Dasam Granth, is a long poem in Braj employing sixteen different metres. It comprises two independent pans, the first, i.e. the introductory one (stanzas 1 to 125), beginning with laudation of the Almighty who is depicted as Supreme, beyond comprehension, non dual, infinite, invisible, unattached, desirelcss and fearless. The Supreme Being is the Creator and Succourer of the universe, and the Embodiment of Supreme Bliss. He is beyond Time and beyond retribution for karma. All pilgrimages, practices of yoga, renunciation of the world, are meaningless if He is not remembered. The second part consists of 211 stanzas (126336), each a quatrain with the exception of two couplets (250 and 253). The theme of this part is the practical philosophy of the world. The expositions are professed in the form of highly metaphysical dialogues, between Jivatman and Paramatman, and the nature of dtman and fourfold worldly dharma i.e. politics {raj dharma), charity (dan dharma), household life (BHOG dharma) and liberation (moksa dharma) have been defined. How this fourfold religion of man is to be lived is illustrated from the legends of the Mahdbhdrata and from the tales of the successors of Yudhishlhira and his brothers, namely Priksit, Janmejya and his son, Ajai Singh, born of a concubine. This is the name given to the sixth Bani in the second holy scriptures of the Sikhs called the Dasam Granth. This text spans from page 325 to page 643 of the 1478 pages of this holy book of the Sikhs. (Original text is over 1428 pages). Another highly devotional ballad comprising 336 verses, Guru Gobind Singh ji praises the qualities of the Almighty. The text then deals with a dialogue the soul has with the King of Souls (the Almighty), where emotions, the play of various eras (Satyug, Treta, Dwapur and Kalyug) are discussed. The four facets of Dharm (righteousness) are deliberated (Bhog, Raaj, Dhaan, and Mokh). However, only Dhaan Dharam has been discussed, the other 3 facets have not, which leads many to belive this work was left unfinished.

<banned site filter activated> "This composition has two main divisions. The first part is devoted to the praise of the Almighty God, He who is all prevading, Omniscient and Omnipotent. His various attributes, His might, magnanimity and his greatness are the subject of this part of Gyan Prabodh. The entire description follows the tradition of gurbani and elucidates the main ideas that are presented within it. The second part is in the form of a dialogue in which the soul questions God about that super power whose radiance and glory is unending. The answers are all within. He is without differences of caste, creed, religion. For Him friend and foe are alike.

Then the soul asks about the four dharmas in answer the four dharmas are elaborated upon. These are Raj dharma, Daan dharma, Bhog dharma and Mokh dharma. Giving examples from the lives of great personalities as mentioned in the various scriptures about Daan Dharam have been explained to the soul. The writing also is a source of knowledge and wisdom since in it we find elucidated the various kinds of Yagnas that were performed and how they were performed. This information is very significant since no other source of information regarding these exists. This is an incomplete piece of writing because the three other dharmas mentioned have not been elaborated upon."

harinder singh ji

I will call it assumption of these writers about gian parbodh.Gian parbodh proclaims futility of yajanas in the later part.

Thanks

harinder singh ji

harinder singh ji

I will call it assumption of these writers about gian parbodh.Gian parbodh proclaims futility of yajanas in the later part.

pyare veer jeeoo,

thats exactly what I thought. All banis in Sri Dasam Granth Jee are complete. Its just the incapability of people to understand the agammiiii dargahi gurbani.

I haven't read Sarbloh Granth.. But this is what I found and was quite interesting:

The plot of Sarbloh Granth is almost identical with that of Chandi Charitra. The gods defeated by the demons approach the Goddess Bhawani who kills several demons including their chief Bhimanad during the 7-year long war. Later, Bhimanad's son Viryanad, rises in power and wages war against the gods. This time Lord Vishnu comes to their succour. Brahma and Shiva also help; but Viryanad not only remains unbeaten in the 12-year long war, but also captures the king of the gods, Indra, along with his sons. Vishnu secures their release and leads them to Mahakal, who at their supplications appears as Sarbloh and afterfurther battles, fiercely fought, puts an end to Viryanad and his host. At this stage, the poet also describes the epic as a contest between reason and irrationality in which the former ultimately triumphs.