Meaning Of Ring From Mysore

johnnyhooks

My grandfather lived in India for quite some time in Madras, Mysore, and Bangalore. When he arrived in the 1940's the first thing he bought was this ring. He has no idea what the meaning is, and after asking many people one Sikh lady told me she thinks it might be close to the Ik Onkar and mentioned something about a word tghat sounded like "kay-dar" or "key-dar," Not really sure. <BR><BR>Any help would mean a lot. He met my grandmother short after and said that this ring brought him much luck. Luck is great but I would really like to know the meaning of this ring if there is any. Thanks in advance.

post-18502-1218655052.jpg

hmm, i'm sure everyone here would be happy to help, that picture is a bit blurry though. If its possible could you take another picture with the details abit clearer? Hopefully someone, might be able to make it out then

anyway welcome to the forum!

Thank you, hear is a clearer picture. I am not sure which way the ring is supposed to be read, so please understand that the picture might have to be rotated in order to make sense.

post-18502-1218667148_thumb.jpg

To me the text in first picture, resembles a lot to "Ik Onkaar" written in Gurmukhi Script which is the first word of Sikh Holy Scripture Guru Granth Sahib and it's translation is "1 God" But the second picture, although is much clearer but is upside down and complexes the matter the first picture i guess is more conclusive.

It is arabic or urdu script.

If it is from Mysore, it could belong to Tipu Sultan whose property was looted by the British. And then probably distributed amongst the soldiers. From whom did you Grandfather buy this ? If this ring was circulated amongst local brits then it would be part of looted material.

If he bought it from a local then, it is probably a local ring that were worn around that time.

It looks like it is a cheap charm ring, one that is supposed to do wonders for you. There are hundereds of people selling these types of rings on roadside in India, esp. near Hindu temples or Muslim mosques. There are snakes carved in the ring. So, it is definitly some kind of charm in my opinion. It should be worth only a few bucks!

It is arabic or urdu script.

If it is from Mysore, it could belong to Tipu Sultan whose property was looted by the British. And then probably distributed amongst the soldiers. From whom did you Grandfather buy this ? If this ring was circulated amongst local brits then it would be part of looted material.

If he bought it from a local then, it is probably a local ring that were worn around that time.

WOW. I hope you can help me since you def are onto something. It is funny you tell this story since my grandfather went to india since he was in the US military. WHen the war was over, he stayed since he loved it so much and because he met his wife, who was scottish, and whos mother gave birth to her in egypt and then moved to india while in the british army.

My grandfather worked on boeing aircraft and then was part of the transition team that handed the aircraft over to the government which formed Hindustan Airfract (now airindia).

My grandmother became fluent in Sindh and two of my grandfathers brothers came to visit and actually ended up living there. One of my cousins is actually named Kumar. (mind you we are from italian heritage) I have had many people look at this ring. many believe it is urdu/arabic, possibly sanscrit, not tumil or punjabi.

All he knows is he bought it at a market type place, something like a flea-market.

Someone noted it was only worth a couple bucks. THank you for the valuation but it more the meaning that i am interested in. I would really like to know what this means.

It looks like it is a cheap charm ring, one that is supposed to do wonders for you. There are hundereds of people selling these types of rings on roadside in India, esp. near Hindu temples or Muslim mosques. There are snakes carved in the ring. So, it is definitly some kind of charm in my opinion. It should be worth only a few bucks!

Understood but what do you think it means. What do snakes mean?

Some Hindu's revere snakes , some believe that they ward of evil, snakes have a lot of spiritual significance to Indians (mostly Hindus) and arent seen as they are in the Western world (bad omens, danger).

It seems to me that this ring could be a charm ring or something of the sort (like someone else said) like you'd buy near Mandirs etc.

HOWEVER the inscription is quite unique in that I've never seen anything like it....it's like a cross between sanscrit and urdu??