When Someone Does Not Read Books...

SATORi

This is why teachers in school, parents, friends all push you to study hard and read a lot of books...

main picture hadda be deleted due to copy-right laws -- trust me, it did!

here,s something to keep some discussion going on.

rman3496l.jpg

I know... I'm a victim...sheeesh, I've heard it for like the tenth time now. :@

Yeah! But you are capable of judging how the book you are about to read fits with your view. And if you are knowledgeable about the subject, you can judge the content of the book and it's limits. Reading helps improve your judgement. Afterall the whole world is about judgement. To be a skilled judger of things you have to be a keen and shrewd observer. Observing is the key to make right judgements, which helps in making right decisions which in turn helps in achieving success in life.

Let's take apne's example.

Say, we have two people growing up in the opposite ends of the world. Their perspective differs from the others, or have been taught to have a different one. They read the material which is "right" in their eyes and goes against the others, and vice-versa.

So you are correct that they become judges according to the views and how they've been brought up.

I'd say a "good" judgment is one which is to have purpose in one's life. Due to the fact that your judgment maybe different from another person. So you have to see if it applies to you and will be fruitful to you.

Say, you are going to become a teacher in the subject of mathematics. Therefore, learning the subject of linguistics is not going to help your or serve you to reach where you want to be. The same principle applies in life. Does it serve you? If so, how? -- Then that's the "right" judgment to yourself.

The whole world is not about judgment, never has been. It's we human who like to judge everything, not the other way around.

Satori in your example, if you want to become a mathematics teacher and you read some linguistic books, you might realise that you have more knack in linguistics or are better in understanding the subject of linguistics. You might become a better linguistics teacher than you would be a maths teacher. Unless you read linguistics you will never know this. Even if you don't wanna go into linguistics, you might add to your knowledge. Childeren ask stupid questions all the time. If they pop up a question related to linguistics, you can answer if you have read linguistics and gain respect or look like one with limited knowlegde.

Also two persons might grow in different worlds or in different atmosphere, but they still can understand the other's view if they read books on the kind of environment the other person grew up in. Whatever book you read, it is bound to contain the personal opinion of the author, by extensive reading one acquires the ability to differentiate between the original and opinion. A good judgement for me would be able to understand two or more sides of a situation, from all angles and then pick up the one which is more rational and appears to be more fruitful. Judgement is not about actions only, but the reason behind that action and understanding the root. And the judgement i am talking about is not about judging people.

Satori in your example, if you want to become a mathematics teacher and you read some linguistic books, you might realise that you have more knack in linguistics or are better in understanding the subject of linguistics. You might become a better linguistics teacher than you would be a maths teacher. Unless you read linguistics you will never know this. Even if you don't wanna go into linguistics, you might add to your knowledge. Childeren ask stupid questions all the time. If they pop up a question related to linguistics, you can answer if you have read linguistics and gain respect or look like one with limited knowlegde.

Ahh yes, well ofcourse, I do certainly agree with your point here. It is very rational and is applied to many aspects of life. But I was looking at a perspective, such as, if it applies to where you are "headed" use it, else let go... we are looking at the choice of Self now. Possibilities are unlimited to what one wants to do. Though, I was saying, if the person had to become a strict mathematician -- studying for linguistics and then sitting for mathematics is not so very practical. This is what I was trying to say, thus, to me, judgement then limits itself to one-self, define who they are, or who they want to be. Helping another with their judgement is not really judgement from your perspective, cause am getting a better understanding of how you perceive things. Thus, it would be a choice.

Sorry for dragging this topic into a broader sense. I like doing that :p

Also two persons might grow in different worlds or in different atmosphere, but they still can understand the other's view if they read books on the kind of environment the other person grew up in. Whatever book you read, it is bound to contain the personal opinion of the author, by extensive reading one acquires the ability to differentiate between the original and opinion. A good judgement for me would be able to understand two or more sides of a situation, from all angles and then pick up the one which is more rational and appears to be more fruitful. Judgement is not about actions only, but the reason behind that action and understanding the root. And the judgement i am talking about is not about judging people.

Well, what I think you are trying to say, is them having an open-mind about each others perspectives, and not merely reading the material. I know loads of people who read and understand some material, yet still protest against it in every manner possible, because they were not to believe in it. I'm not trying to constraint this topic to us, I want others to see it in a different manner and approach it from a different manner, in a sense that, to be open and stick to your beliefs if they justify one's Self and is necessary for them.

So you also agree that knowledge and wisdom are two different things, and without wisdom, knowledge stands nowhere?