What Makes A Sikh?

rav44

rehat is good deeds?

so sikh who is clean shave, no ahibyaas, no simran, never reads gurbani, but he does help out at the local homeless shelter every week, would that be a sikh?

good deeds are not rehat, and good deeds are not gonna get the job done, iam sorry, its not that easy...

yes, having a beard or hair does not matter, as long as the person lives a truthful life, remembers GOD, lives for others, thats what matters!

thats what the guru says not me! i wasn't religious whatsoever, when GOD bestowed his grace, i started reading SGGS and then i believe in what SGGS tells me not the priests in gurudwara, my family members or whatever the other sikhs are doing.

regarding the hair, i have full hair and used to have full beard too. i shaved my beard off because i realise whether or not i have a beard, i am still slave to my mind and having it or not does not make a difference. Same with the hair too, one day i will cut them too.

now the whole world can come to me and say that what i am doing is wrong but if my inner guru tells me it is not wrong, then it doesnt bother me what people say. my inner guru has cleared my doubts and showed me the truth.

So why do we have Sikh martyrs? They laid down their lives in order just to keep their hair, and you say it doesn't matter?

OFCOURSE IT MATTERS! It shows you have commitment and devotion to God, and that you can show him that you are not trying to please anyone else except God. All that came out of the ten Gurus mouth, was Gods word. Guru Gobind Singh ji said not to cut off any of our hair,, it is one of the 5 k's. Your hair is there for a reason, you wouldn't cut off your fingers.

Nobody forces you to keep your hair, im not saying you need to keep your hair, its is entirly up to you. But in order to reach God, you have to become totally pure. Guru Gobind Singh ji said "Cutting off hair is as sinful as incest." God will not make you suffer for cutting off you hair, you can still be happy. But for true happiness, one should keep their all their hair.

You can do seva, and still sin, so that seva you did will still not have any affect. Our Sikh ancestors, fought for their rights, so we can be Sikhs here today, they did not give up their lives so we can abuse it.

yes, having a beard or hair does not matter, as long as the person lives a truthful life, remembers GOD, lives for others, thats what matters!

thats what the guru says not me! i wasn't religious whatsoever, when GOD bestowed his grace, i started reading SGGS and then i believe in what SGGS tells me not the priests in gurudwara, my family members or whatever the other sikhs are doing.

regarding the hair, i have full hair and used to have full beard too. i shaved my beard off because i realise whether or not i have a beard, i am still slave to my mind and having it or not does not make a difference. Same with the hair too, one day i will cut them too.

now the whole world can come to me and say that what i am doing is wrong but if my inner guru tells me it is not wrong, then it doesnt bother me what people say. my inner guru has cleared my doubts and showed me the truth.

Dear Perfect Student Ji,

Let us take an example here, who is a perfect Student? One who does his homework, is interested in lesson taught by teachers, etc. On the other hand same student says I can not be bothered to go to school on time (Amrit Wela), I can not be bothered to wear uniform (5 Ks). How can you say that he is a 'Perfect Student'?

The original question was who is a Sikh? unfortunately, most of us who are born Sikhs have taken our religion very lightly (it includes me as well). If we had really earnt Sikhi then our thinking will be like Bhai Taru Ji whose scalp was scrapped off.

In reality Sikh means one who follows Guru's orders, if we do not agree to what Guru ask us to do but instead do what we like and still bow in front of Guru Granth Sahib then we are just faking and Fake isn't a Khalsa (Pure).

iehY mor AwigAw sunhu hy ipAwry ]

ibnw Ssqr kysM idvoN n iddwry ]

"Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee says, listen to this command oh beloved, This is the essential pre-requisite to attain my darshan. Without arms and kesh I will not give you darshan."

Bhul Chuk Mauf

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ੧ ॥

Shalok, First Mehl:

ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਦੁਖੀਆ ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਸੁਖੀਆ ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਪਾਣੀ ਜੰਤ ਫਿਰਹਿ ॥

There is no Truth in suffering, there is no Truth in comfort. There is no Truth in wandering like animals through the water.

ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਮੂੰਡ ਮੁਡਾਈ ਕੇਸੀ ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਪੜਿਆ ਦੇਸ ਫਿਰਹਿ ॥

There is no Truth in shaving one's head; there is no Truth is studying the scriptures or wandering in foreign lands.

ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਰੁਖੀ ਬਿਰਖੀ ਪਥਰ ਆਪੁ ਤਛਾਵਹਿ ਦੁਖ ਸਹਹਿ ॥

There is no Truth in trees, plants or stones, in mutilating oneself or suffering in pain.

ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਹਸਤੀ ਬਧੇ ਸੰਗਲ ਨਾ ਸਤਿ ਗਾਈ ਘਾਹੁ ਚਰਹਿ ॥

There is no Truth in binding elephants in chains; there is no Truth in grazing cows.

ਜਿਸੁ ਹਥਿ ਸਿਧਿ ਦੇਵੈ ਜੇ ਸੋਈ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦੇਇ ਤਿਸੁ ਆਇ ਮਿਲੈ ॥

He alone grants it, whose hands hold spritual perfection; he alone receives it, unto whom it is given.

ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾ ਕਉ ਮਿਲੈ ਵਡਾਈ ਜਿਸੁ ਘਟ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਰਵੈ ॥

O Nanak, he alone is blessed with glorious greatness, whose heart is filled with the Word of the Shabad.

ਸਭਿ ਘਟ ਮੇਰੇ ਹਉ ਸਭਨਾ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਜਿਸਹਿ ਖੁਆਈ ਤਿਸੁ ਕਉਣੁ ਕਹੈ ॥

God says, all hearts are mine, and I am in all hearts. Who can explain this to one who is confused?

ਜਿਸਹਿ ਦਿਖਾਲਾ ਵਾਟੜੀ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਭੁਲਾਵੈ ਕਉਣੁ ॥

Who can confuse that being, unto whom I have shown the Way?

ਜਿਸਹਿ ਭੁਲਾਈ ਪੰਧ ਸਿਰਿ ਤਿਸਹਿ ਦਿਖਾਵੈ ਕਉਣੁ ॥੧॥

And who can show the Path to that being whom I have confused since the beginning of time? ||1||

The way I see it...

What is the basic definition of Sikh? Disciple? Student? Follower? Of whom? A Guru, right? So who decides who is a Sikh? Obviously the Guru, right? Then who are we to debate as to who/what is a Sikh? Gurujee knows best. I honestly think that someone who is a non-Amritdhari mona can have a million times more love for Gurujee than a so-called Amritdhari Singh like me who has nothing more than the outward appearance of a Sikh. No this does NOT reduce the essence or significance of Amrit. But the first and foremost "qualification" to be a Sikh is to have that kind of love for Gurujee. I have seen non-Amritdhari monnays have that, and they put me to shame.

Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree and point out flaws/drawbacks/mistakes.

Bhull chukk maaf

wow..look where the topic ended up..

Not sure hes ganna use this in his documentary.

anyway..hmm.. sikhism is not a religion but a way of life. Its not rules are regulation..but its a lifestyle of disciline.and a sikh is someone who has that lifestyle..eg REHAT.

Not to be a offence..but omg! Keeping your kes is sooo important!

WAHEGUROO..how many shaheed singhs/singhnia gave their lives for their kes! ok..ok inner being,i agree you hav got to be good from the inside,have love for guru ji of course and be in the right state of mind.But your outer appearance is important to, Guru gobind singh jee's roop! Don't you want to represent your guru!?! Its what differentiates us from society.

As for the original question about 5'ks. was he jus wearing the 5 k's (not taken amrit) or has he got kes and stuff?

I know it sounds petty..but whatever the answer is depends on my reply..if tht makes sense :S lol

jus my opinion..If i offended anybody,wasn't intentional :)

Waheguroo ji ka khalsa

Waheguroo ji ke fateh

wow..look where the topic ended up..

Not sure hes ganna use this in his documentary.

anyway..hmm.. sikhism is not a religion but a way of life. Its not rules are regulation..but its a lifestyle of disciline.and a sikh is someone who has that lifestyle..eg REHAT.

Not to be a offence..but omg! Keeping your kes is sooo important!

WAHEGUROO..how many shaheed singhs/singhnia gave their lives for their kes! ok..ok inner being,i agree you hav got to be good from the inside,have love for guru ji of course and be in the right state of mind.But your outer appearance is important to, Guru gobind singh jee's roop! Don't you want to represent your guru!?! Its what differentiates us from society.

As for the original question about 5'ks. was he jus wearing the 5 k's (not taken amrit) or has he got kes and stuff?

I know it sounds petty..but whatever the answer is depends on my reply..if tht makes sense :S lol

jus my opinion..If i offended anybody,wasn't intentional :)

Waheguroo ji ka khalsa

Waheguroo ji ke fateh

Hi, firstly...jus thought I'd let you know I'm a woman!! I think it might have something to do with my login name but loadsa people think I'm a guy!

Anyway back to the point - What would be your opinion in either situation? If someone has taken amrit and has all 5 k's but inside is still a bad person and if someone hasn't taken amrit but has the 5k's or doesn't have the 5 k's and is a good person?

I've been reading a lot of stuff but I'm having difficulty in finding where the rules are written about the 5k's (besides the Rehat Maryada)...can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

Hi, firstly...jus thought I'd let you know I'm a woman!! I think it might have something to do with my login name but loadsa people think I'm a guy!

Anyway back to the point - What would be your opinion in either situation? If someone has taken amrit and has all 5 k's but inside is still a bad person and if someone hasn't taken amrit but has the 5k's or doesn't have the 5 k's and is a good person?

I've been reading a lot of stuff but I'm having difficulty in finding where the rules are written about the 5k's (besides the Rehat Maryada)...can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

both people you described need to try harder to follow their Guru. just like all of us. :)

as far as i know, the rules for the 5 k's are only written in the rehat maryada, and in descriptions of the first amrit sanchar.

Hi Guys! I'm making a documentary about Sikhism and I am doing some research into Sikhi and how people view the religion and also I want to put out the questions:

Who is a Sikh?

What is more important in Sikhism - the 5 k's or the spirituality e.g. if someone has all 5 k's and is a bad person but there is someone who doesn't have the 5 k's but follows all the spiritual side of Sikhi and is a good person which one is right?

Cheers!!

Rav

You are a Sikh...A Sikh is a Learner...

Everyone in the world is a Sikh...

What you want to define is GURSIKH...

Gursikh means the one who is SIKH of the Guru(student of the Guru)...

Gursikh would be someone who took Charan Paul of Guru Nanak Dev Ji in his time and who now has taken Khande Vaate Da Amrit which 10th Guru Nanak Dev Ji gifted us with...

You cannot be a Gursikh without amrit...it's simple, how can one be a Gursikh without having a Guru to guide?...Amrit is necessary not many realize... :)

Break the word apart for better understanding: GUR SIKH

You are a Sikh...A Sikh is a Learner...

Everyone in the world is a Sikh...

i disagree veerji. sikh comes from sanskrit sishya, which is a disciple. a disciple must have a guru. only those who follow guru ji are sikhs. one may be a learner without a teacher. but no one can be a sikh without a guru. :)