Rehat Maryada

rav44

lol, no Jasleen. SGPC made this rehit maryada, and Akal Takht follow it. I would never folllow this maryada since I don't follow SGPC sikhi. I would rather follow Buddha Dal maryada if I was amrit dhari since it seems very authentic.

And traditional sikhs are the sikhs that follow sikhi the way before SGPC's British Raj version.

It was made by sikhs that included those that were influenced by protestant ideas from their british masters.

please show your sources for these allegations.

well i don;t have time to explain it all.

But heres some reading. The SGPC came from the tat khalsa, there is some insight into this on here:

http://philtar.ucsm.ac.uk/encyclopedia/sikhism/tat.html

whilst this describes more traditional sikhs.

http://philtar.ucsm.ac.uk/encyclopedia/sikhism/sanatan.html

oh heres another site u could read:

http://www.budhadal.com/history.htm

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i don;t have time to explain it all.

But heres some reading. The SGPC came from the tat khalsa, there is some insight into this on here:

http://philtar.ucsm.ac.uk/encyclopedia/sikhism/tat.html

whilst this describes more traditional sikhs.

http://philtar.ucsm.ac.uk/encyclopedia/sikhism/sanatan.html

oh heres another site u could read:

http://www.budhadal.com/history.htm

no of course you don't have time. :)

i'm familiar with tat khalsa, thanks. :) it still doesn't prove that SGPC, a gurdwara management commity, wrote the panthic rehat maryada. if you want, i can give you a list of contributors to that document.

and besides, all you had to say is that you're a "sanatan" sikh, that would have clarified everything.

i guess the panthic rehat maryada stands for the MAJORITY of the panth. maybe you think we're all wrong, that's fine. :)

my personal opinion on rehat? follow the panthic (akal takht) rehat maryada at MINIMUM. add to it as much as possible from puratan maryada.

i prefer the 52 hukam of Guru Gobind Singh ji as the "traditional" maryada myself. simple and to the point.

but hey, budhadal is fine with me if that's how you swing (i'm more of a taruna dal girl myself... Sant Baba Nihal Singh ji is kind of a rock star in my opinion! lol). :)

are there any major differences between Buddha Dal and Tarna Dal rehit?

i always thought they both basically followed Buddha Dal Rehit...

there are a few differences, though they are probably the influence of Baba Nihal Singh ji rather than the actual maryada.

they follow sarbloh bibeki, they're vegetarian, they don't partake of "shaheedi degh" (at least not with bhang)... three kind of major plusses in my book. :)

but don't quote me, i'm probably wrong! :p

there are a few differences, though they are probably the influence of Baba Nihal Singh ji rather than the actual maryada.

they follow sarbloh bibeki, they're vegetarian, they don't partake of "shaheedi degh" (at least not with bhang)... three kind of major plusses in my book. :)

but don't quote me, i'm probably wrong! :p

You're right :D

baba nihal singh never influnced puratan mareyada ... sarbloh bibake jhatka and shaheedi degh all three are personal choices in all nihang jathebandis ...

there is no difference between budha and tarna dal mareyada not even 1 percent ... budhadal singhs also follow sarbloh bibak not all but many same with tarna dal .... tarna dals main gurudwara sahib at harian bela jhatka is done every shaster pujjan divas (dushera) which is prepared in langar later ... sheedi degh is prepared at harianbela and its bhog is done in the hazzori of guru sahib as soon as the parkash is done !!!

All the singhs I met at Harianvela were vegetarian - never heard of them preparing jhatka there before. I can't really see them doing this as they won't even wear leather because animals are killed for it's production. (not that leather wasnt used by Guru Ji or anything but this shows how sympathetic they are)

Bhang is really frowned upon by elder gursikhs there, and even the youths - a lot of them are turning to it's use through personal addiction not mareyada.

Most are sarbloh bibeki's.

i'm familiar with tat khalsa, thanks. :) it still doesn't prove that SGPC, a gurdwara management commity, wrote the panthic rehat maryada. if you want, i can give you a list of contributors to that document.

Hi Jasleen, just out of interest can I have the list of contributors that you refer to - I am getting mixed information about where the Rehat Maryada came from and it is confusing!!

Also in reference to your previous post about women not being required to wear the dastaar - can you tell me wear it says this in the maryada and also does it give a reason why? To me, this fact backs up my argument about the maryada being sexist and not following the core teachings of Sikhi by not having equal rules for men and women!