Rehat Maryada

rav44

I have taken the below quote from the SGPC website - I dunno about anyone else but it sounds to me as if the Rehat Maryada was created by the SGPC.

"The Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandhak Committee had constituted a sub-committee comprising the undermentioned gentlemen for preparing a draft of code of conduct and conventions to enable it to determine and prescribe a proper set of conventions for gurdwaras (Sikh places of worship):

Giani Thakar Singh, Amritsar; Giani Sher Singh; Bhai Budh Singh; Akali Kaur Singh; Sant Sangat Singh of Kamaliya; Bhai Kahn Singh of Nabha; Sant Gulab Singh of Gholiya; Bhai Labh Singh, Granthi, Sri Harmandar Sahib; Bhai Hazura Singh of Hazur Sahib (or a representative of his); Pandit Basant Singh of Patiala; Bhai Vir Singh of Amritsar; Giani Hira Singh Dard; Bawa Harkishan Singh, Principal, Guru Nanak Khalsa College, Gujranwala; Bhai Trilochan Singh of Sur Singh, Distt. Lahore; Giani Hamir Singh of Amritsar; Pandit Kartar Singh of Dakha, Distt. Ludhiana; the Jathedar of Sri Akal Takhat; the Jathedar of Takht Sri Kesgarh Sahib, the Jathedar of the Takht Sri Patna Sahib; Prof. Ganga Singh; Prof. Jodh Singh; Sant Man Singh of Kankhal; justice Teja Singh; Bhai Randhir Singh; and Prof. Teja Singh (who was to be the convenor of the sub-committee).

The meetings of this sub-committee were held on Oct. 4 and 5, 1931, Jan. 3,1932, and Jan. 31, 1932 at the Akal Takht."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have taken the below quote from the SGPC website - I dunno about anyone else but it sounds to me as if the Rehat Maryada was created by the SGPC.

"The Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandhak Committee had constituted a sub-committee comprising the undermentioned gentlemen for preparing a draft of code of conduct and conventions to enable it to determine and prescribe a proper set of conventions for gurdwaras (Sikh places of worship):

Giani Thakar Singh, Amritsar; Giani Sher Singh; Bhai Budh Singh; Akali Kaur Singh; Sant Sangat Singh of Kamaliya; Bhai Kahn Singh of Nabha; Sant Gulab Singh of Gholiya; Bhai Labh Singh, Granthi, Sri Harmandar Sahib; Bhai Hazura Singh of Hazur Sahib (or a representative of his); Pandit Basant Singh of Patiala; Bhai Vir Singh of Amritsar; Giani Hira Singh Dard; Bawa Harkishan Singh, Principal, Guru Nanak Khalsa College, Gujranwala; Bhai Trilochan Singh of Sur Singh, Distt. Lahore; Giani Hamir Singh of Amritsar; Pandit Kartar Singh of Dakha, Distt. Ludhiana; the Jathedar of Sri Akal Takhat; the Jathedar of Takht Sri Kesgarh Sahib, the Jathedar of the Takht Sri Patna Sahib; Prof. Ganga Singh; Prof. Jodh Singh; Sant Man Singh of Kankhal; justice Teja Singh; Bhai Randhir Singh; and Prof. Teja Singh (who was to be the convenor of the sub-committee).

The meetings of this sub-committee were held on Oct. 4 and 5, 1931, Jan. 3,1932, and Jan. 31, 1932 at the Akal Takht."

organized by SGPC? sure. published by SGPC? absolutely.

written by SGPC? no way. look at the list you posted. it was written by the preeminent scholars and gursikhs of the time.

more imortantly, it is APPROVED by Akal Takht. Akal Takht is our temporal authority, whether we like it or not. so we have to follow whatever rehatnama it approves.

Also in reference to your previous post about women not being required to wear the dastaar - can you tell me wear it says this in the maryada and also does it give a reason why? To me, this fact backs up my argument about the maryada being sexist and not following the core teachings of Sikhi by not having equal rules for men and women!

it doesn't say anything at all about women wearing dastaar. it says MEN must tie turban. it says WOMEN may or may not tie turban.

may or may not? why? i don't know. i don't think anyone knows.

maha-example of not following core teachings of sikhi and non-equal rights for men and women :

women not being able/allowed to do kirtan at Sri Harmandir Sahib....

AGREE but that's not rehat maryada, that's the individual granthi's choice. SGPC has said that women may do kirtan in ALL SGPC run Gurdwaras, IF the head granthi allows it.

the head granthi of Harimandir Sahib has never allowed it. why not? i don't know the answer to that question.

organized by SGPC? sure. published by SGPC? absolutely.

written by SGPC? no way. look at the list you posted. it was written by the preeminent scholars and gursikhs of the time.

more imortantly, it is APPROVED by Akal Takht. Akal Takht is our temporal authority, whether we like it or not. so we have to follow whatever rehatnama it approves.

Well not everyone recognises the SGPC elected jathedars as true jathedars of akal takht. Besides, they are not akalis either and instead are more like politicians, and I would say Akal Takht is for akalis. I prefer to recognise jathedar of Buddha Dal as the true jathedar, many may disagree :) But this is how it used to be before SGPC took over, and I would say, forcefully.

The SRM was meant to be a unifying rahit for the panth, however the majority of scholars working on the first draft had dropped out of the process by the last draft due to disagreeements. The scholars signing the last draft made did not represent the entire panth as the workers of the first draft did. I have heard that only a minority of the original draft scholars and representatives signed the latest draft. This is why many groups say that the SRM is not the rahit of the panth. I'm just posting this b/c there seems to be some confusion on the issue. Hope that clarifies why people take different stances on it.

are there any major differences between Buddha Dal and Tarna Dal rehit?

i always thought they both basically followed Buddha Dal Rehit...

there are a few differences, though they are probably the influence of Baba Nihal Singh ji rather than the actual maryada.

they follow sarbloh bibeki, they're vegetarian, they don't partake of "shaheedi degh" (at least not with bhang)... three kind of major plusses in my book. :)

but don't quote me, i'm probably wrong! :p

dal khalsa was divided into 2 to create buddha daal and tarna daal!!! older and younger generations, with both havin seperate duties and responsiblities...spilt was done by akalee kapur singh jee

rehat wise there v similar like wjkkwjkf bhenjee said they dnt believe in eatin meat and baba nihal singh jee tlaks about sarbloh bibek in his katha...they also don't take bhang...

akaaaaaaaaaaalooo...

dhan guroo jee deee ditteee hoee panthhh akaaaaaaaloo!!!!

The SRM was meant to be a unifying rahit for the panth, however the majority of scholars working on the first draft had dropped out of the process by the last draft due to disagreeements. The scholars signing the last draft made did not represent the entire panth as the workers of the first draft did. I have heard that only a minority of the original draft scholars and representatives signed the latest draft. This is why many groups say that the SRM is not the rahit of the panth. I'm just posting this b/c there seems to be some confusion on the issue. Hope that clarifies why people take different stances on it.

this is true. some contributors were in jail (Bhai Randir Singh ji - this is probably who pure veg is not in the final draft). also some did drop out because rather than try to compromise they let their ego lead them out the door.

but it's still the only panthic rehat maryada we have. and for many of us, we were ordered to follow it by panj piyare. if we, the panth, do not agree with it, we should work to change it, rather than whining or making up stories about it. :)

i think AKJ take a very rational and mature stance on it... it's the minumum, everyone should follow it at least, and then added some things on top of it, like dietary restrictions, nitnem banis, etc.

All the singhs I met at Harianvela were vegetarian - never heard of them preparing jhatka there before. I can't really see them doing this as they won't even wear leather because animals are killed for it's production. (not that leather wasnt used by Guru Ji or anything but this shows how sympathetic they are)

Bhang is really frowned upon by elder gursikhs there, and even the youths - a lot of them are turning to it's use through personal addiction not mareyada.

Most are sarbloh bibeki's.

in uk or in in india ... by mamas kudi is married to the bhatija of tarna dal nihang singh ... baba hari singh of tarna dal must be seen in the video of discovery channel was present there and one of his dals bhujangi did jhatka on the shagun day ....

and we should clear the thing from baba nihal singh himself instead of what we have seen or what we have heard ...

wouldnt it be better ...

i m saying this as if a hardcore veggi reads such stuff on net decides to go to tarna dal ... and sees jhatka their he would be lost all his respect for dal ... not because of dal but because of rumors on the internet ...