Gold?

jasleen k

rqn pdwrQ mwxkw suienw rupw Kwku ]

rathan padhaarathh maanakaa sueinaa rupaa khaak ||

Jewels, treasures, pearls, gold and silver-all these are just dust.

Its easy just posting a bani quotes. But do we really see those things as just dust? If those are just dust so are our kirpans, kare, kangeh , clothes etc...

If someone has the sharda to create and take time to create Guru Sahib out of Gold so be it. We shouldnt worry about what people do with their money. Instead think what are we doing with ours?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

greetings jasleen kaur ji

beautiful name by the way

Ofcourse we can question, i agree with you, if we dont question how will we learn?

lol I think were just going around in circles now :D

a repentant king did it (golden temple) to give honour to his guru

maybe gold scribe is honouring the sri adh granth sahib

anybody can read the bani in the sri adh granth sahib, no matter if written in gold or in ink, ego doesnt come into it as no one can decide who can and cannot read the teachings contained within it

kindest regards

Dilrubarb

Its easy just posting a bani quotes. But do we really see those things as just dust? If those are just dust so are our kirpans, kare, kangeh , clothes etc...

If someone has the sharda to create and take time to create Guru Sahib out of Gold so be it. We shouldnt worry about what people do with their money. Instead think what are we doing with ours?

disagree to the first point, agree to the second.

our kakkars are not dust because they are gift, and hukam, of our Guru.

but you're right, if someone has the time, love, and money to do this work, then sure they can do it. agreed we should spend our own money more wisely.

again i have to state, i'm not disagreeing with the idea, i'm just questioning it.

i have a bad habit of asking questions and trying to learn. :)

Yes, we do really mis-interpret gurbani... but we're learning and being open about it, so that's a relief.

I think we've pulled this thread a little too far. The truth is that, we're now going into a factual discussion than that of wisdom... there is no knowledge in that.

man, at least address my post

took MINUTES to come up with that logic

you mean this?

therefore the paper we usually write maharaj on is maya too

therefore theres no point in arguing that gold is maya

unless u want to argue that gold is mayaer than paper

in other words

this should be a NON ISSUE

Err... HERE :p

(lots of interpretations)

with regards to the right honourable ladie's post above Jasleen k

why make a bir out of gold script ?

why laden the sri adh granth sahib with the finest silk ?

why have a golden temple ?

also you seem to insert a smiley after a strong statement as if that makes it okay

so have u ever wondered 'why' about the questions raised above ? :)

i think you are trying to solve a problem which doesnt exist

actually, i'm not trying to solve any problem at all. i just wondered why. are we allowed to question things in sikhi? as long as i don't question my guru, i mean. :) (sorry, the smilies are to show a light-hearted tone, so people don't take everything so seriously!)

why have a golden temple? i've wondered it many times. Guru ji didn't make it gold... a repentant king did it to give honour to his Guru. and that's ok with me.

why cover Guru ji in sumptuous cloth? because it's our Guru. easy enough.

but why remake Guru ji's body in gold, when he himself didn't do it? Guru Gobind Singh ji, Guru Arjan Sahib, either one could have used gold to make Adi Granth, but they did not. the whole reason we have Guru ji in the form of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is so that we can commune with him, learn his teachings, listen to his hukam. and who's going to read the golden bir? certainly not lowly creatures like me or you. so if only special people can handle this bir, won't that create huge issues of ego?

nevermind, i'm loosing my train of thought.

i'm not saying it's wrong. i'm just asking why. which i believe is my right as a sikh(student). :) (once again, smiley is to show light-hearted tone)

But when it comes to Guru Ji, who gave you everything, then the money is better spent 'feeding the poor'. :homer

if that's what my guru ji tells me to do, then why not? there's no reason to hit yourself in the head over hukam. :)

I don't think anyone is arguing that this money can be better spent helping the poor, but at the same time you can't use this point to force someone to question their devotion towards their Guru. Just as you cannot force someone to stop wearing a 10 meter dumala because that cloth could be better used to help make clothes for the poor. They are going to do this because that is how they relate to their Guru. It is an expression of their Shardha, their Bhaavna towards the Guru.

You could i suppose question why did the devotees of the 10th Master offer the Guru clothes embroidered with Gold, why did they offer the Guru diamond and other precious metals? The Guru certainly did not acquire this from his own wealth, rather they were an offering out of Love from the disciples.

The question is not about maya, its whether the devotion of a Disciple justifies him/her placing the Guru above those who are needy. Because Devotion is very Subjective, to question the Devotion of someone who you do not know is a very bold move.

Sorri just wanted to add a lil bit.

When Guru Ji talks about "Charan Kamal" what does it mean?

Charan mean feet. Shabad Guru can be seen as Akaal Purakh's feet. How? Simply speaking, your feet take you to where your "man" tells you to go. Therefore, your feet are you man's vaachak. Likewise, Shabad Guru is Akaal Purakh's vaachak therefore is a saadhan to get to Akaal Purakh.

Now we are left with the Kamal bit. Kamal means lotus. Just like the lotus flower is within muddy waters, yet separate from it.. Shabad Guru has the qualites of maya (can be seen, touched.. has a colour and shape etc) yet is above all the effects of Maya (ie: above any manipulation, since shabad guru is the jyot within the writing).

Using this definition, it doesn't matter if Shabad Guru is written in ink, gold, silver, biro! Shabad Guru, Surat Dhun Chela.

Regarding the quick reference to Chaur Sahib, Ramalle etc: This is Sargun pooja: Physically showing your sharda for Guru Ji - nothing wrong with that.

ok, i'm sorry to have come across as though i were questioning the devotion of a great soul.

you can close the thread if you want. i guess all the answers are here.

Perhaps I should've worded my last sentence in a different way. My intention was not to offend you. :)

Once a rich man brought a present for Bhagat Kabeer ji. It was a scissor which was embroidered with diamond. Kabeer ji aptly refused to accept his gift and said, "My work is not to cut things, I am here to join hearts. If you wish to give me a present then bring me a needle which i can use to sew hearts torn from the beloved".

Gifts and offering for a Master require thoughtful motives and they can only be fully known by the person giving and by the one who receives it.