Future Generations

Nehmat

I read this topic in the Gupt section of forum...

Someone asked why Sikhs celebrate Diwali because they thought it was a hindu festival and had nothing to do with Sikhism...

This person had no idea about "Bandhi Chor Divas"...

Moreover, in April during the Vaisakhi Nagar Keertan some kids were being interviewed on the television about Vaisakhi...

Most of these kids had no idea what Vaisakhi was...They said they were there for the food... :umm:

This stuff is making me worried about our future generations...Parents are not paying attention to their children...I guess they are too busy making money...

You guys are all Saadhus (saadh sangat) here, I really believe this...

Suggest some ways to inform our community about this issue... People are being too Ignorant...Which will cause problems for them later...But then: "aisaa kamm moolay na keechai jit ant pachhotaa-ee-ai."

one thing i constantly hear from sikh youth is that they don't understand gurbani, they don't understand the katha, they don't understand things from their parent's generation or culture.

in my opinion, what we need in the west is young gursikhs who do katha in english. help the youth understand gurbani, understand sikh history. kind of a bridge across the culture gap.

the music "immortal productions" is putting out is a great example of how to reach out to sikh youth in a way they understand.

we just need a LOT more of it!

maybe everyone here should make a pledge to explain at least one significant historical event or religious concept to at least one youth. we'll go from there.

anyone with me?

maybe everyone here should make a pledge to explain at least one significant historical event or religious concept to at least one youth. we'll go from there.

anyone with me?

Bibi, I like your suggestion... :)

But how do we carry this out?...Youth is out of control and not willing to listen to what they call "Boring" lectures...

I've seen this many times...Families come to the darbaar sahib, do matha tek, get prasaad, sit for 2 mins, and then leave... feeling that their mind's burden of not bringing their children to the Gurudwara sahib has lessened in those 2 mins...And what did the children learn?...They had just finished eating their yummy prasaad!...

When I was younger there used to be an english guy - who was not a sikh but was homeless and visited the gurudwara for shelter and food, regularly. He knew more about sikhi than a lot of people I know - especially my grandparents. His way of 'giving back' to Guru Ji was asking the committee members to allow him to have paper and pencils to give to the kids. He understood Punjabi fluently, so often he would translate the veechar and have the kids draw pictures on what it was about. I learnt so much from this. It was very simple but it definately had a big impact on the kids.

Now we have youths who are pretty into sikhi (go to a rehnsbhai and you get the picture). It's upto us to do the veechar, explain our history, have open forums and stuff...but we've spoken of this before ...

one thing i constantly hear from sikh youth is that they don't understand gurbani, they don't understand the katha, they don't understand things from their parent's generation or culture.

in my opinion, what we need in the west is young gursikhs who do katha in english. help the youth understand gurbani, understand sikh history. kind of a bridge across the culture gap.

the music "immortal productions" is putting out is a great example of how to reach out to sikh youth in a way they understand.

we just need a LOT more of it!

anyone with me?

i kinda dnt agree with that. 1st they are gonna say do the katha in english but i still dnt think they will come running. yeah it will help but sumtimes i dnt understand a single word of gurbani when i go to the gudwara but it still helps. i sit there listen and it helps so much. its up to the ones that understand the realism of sikh the strengths it brings and help every1 enjoy it too

I am a Sikh youth who doesn't know much. Most of the things i have learnt is from the internet, and that can't all be reliable. I don't know any stories of the Gurus, my punjabi is limited so its hard to ask my grandparents who are the only khalsa sikhs, who i can really talk to, although im going to go to a punjabi class on Sunday.

Most the books that have stories in them are in Punjabi, i can't find much Sikh history in english, except on the internet, but all that stuff is about 1984. The only classes in my local gurdwaras that teach sikhism is only for children under 16. I did go once, but i didn't feel comfortable sitting wih lots of little children, not that theres anything wrong with that, but then we can't discuss more mature issues.

I read a nitnem in english, but it is all in old fashioned language. I understand most of it but not all. If i had no internet i would be nowhere. I don't think enough is bieng done to encourage sikh youths to get into sikhism, and i don't think there are many places to learn about Sikhism.

If you know that there is problems, then why aren't you trying to help, and if someone is really interested in Sikhi, then they won't find lectures boring. And you wonder why there are so many mona Sikhs, its because the last generation forgot to teach the new one.

I am a Sikh youth who doesn't know much. Most of the things i have learnt is from the internet, and that can't all be reliable. I don't know any stories of the Gurus, my punjabi is limited so its hard to ask my grandparents who are the only khalsa sikhs, who i can really talk to, although im going to go to a punjabi class on Sunday.

Most the books that have stories in them are in Punjabi, i can't find much Sikh history in english, except on the internet, but all that stuff is about 1984. The only classes in my local gurdwaras that teach sikhism is only for children under 16. I did go once, but i didn't feel comfortable sitting wih lots of little children, not that theres anything wrong with that, but then we can't discuss more mature issues.

I read a nitnem in english, but it is all in old fashioned language. I understand most of it but not all. If i had no internet i would be nowhere. I don't think enough is bieng done to encourage sikh youths to get into sikhism, and i don't think there are many places to learn about Sikhism.

If you know that there is problems, then why aren't you trying to help, and if someone is really interested in Sikhi, then they won't find lectures boring. And you wonder why there are so many mona Sikhs, its because the last generation forgot to teach the new one.

visit www.sikhnet.com for the basics

www.sikhitothemax.com to reading, transliteration and translations of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

www.sikhism101.com which is very cool, easy to read and understand... :)

If you're from coventry then there's a massive sangat there that can probably help you learn more Jio :)

Sau Suwal (100 questions) is a GREAT book on Sikhi basics. i have been reading one question and answer before bed for a couple months and i've learned a LOT. it's a short book you could sit and read it all in one go if you want.

http://www.sikhgifts.com/Pages/ShowProduct...hp?pID=MTg4OQ==

this shop has a ton of books on sikhi, sikh culture, punjabi culture, and history.

http://www.sikhgifts.com/Pages/ShowProducts.php?cID=NTk1

Patwant Singh's "The Sikhs" is a fantastic book that covers basics and in depth history and culture of Sikhi.

http://www.amazon.com/Sikhs-Patwant-Singh/dp/0385502060

pretty much anything by Patwant Singh is great. :)

for translations, look for Surinder Singh Kohli- i have his translation of Dasam Granth Sahib and it's really well done, and easy to read.

the most accurate modern translation of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji is from Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa, so check for his translations as well.

www. srigranth.org will allow you to do an online sehej paath, if you're interested in reading Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji in completion (something every Sikh should do).

let me know if you have any specific areas of sikhi you want to read about, i have a ton of books to recommend. :)