Swimming

Guest abcdefg

Being a Gursikh Kaur, one must dress decently (that is why Bana was developed).

Firstly, it is not mandatory to learn swimming, one can take up other forms of training & exercise.

Secondly, it is unhygienic to bathe in same water as others. Generally people can't control their urine inside the pool and hence release it while swimming. Pool water is capable of carrying & spreading contagious diseases as well as infections from person to person.

Thirdly, don't think if you consult Punj Piyaras, they would approve the concept of swimming.

Lastly, Gursikh bibi's must refrain from acts which Entice the others.

Firstly, it is not mandatory to learn swimming, one can take up other forms of training & exercise.

Secondly, it is unhygienic to bathe in same water as others. Generally people can't control their urine inside the pool and hence release it while swimming. Pool water is capable of carrying & spreading contagious diseases as well as infections from person to person.

Thirdly, don't think if you consult Punj Piyaras, they would approve the concept of swimming.

is this post a joke meant to cause an argument? i'm guessing that because you used a "guest" login that it is.

look, it is not "unhygenic" to go swimming. sheesh. yes, people can control their urine inside a pool. pool water has so much chlorine in it that no contagious diseases are capable of surviving. if you can get some FACTS to backup your allegations, that would be great, otherwise, i'm guessing you're just making a joke.

why wouldn't panj piyare approve of the "concept" of swimming? seriously, why does everyone want to force their extremist views on the rest of us?

if swimming in baggy shorts and a shirt is "enticing", that's NOT MY FAULT. it's the fault of the a$$hole who is staring. and trust me, he's more likely staring at my keski than anything else.

get over it. if some of us enjoy swimming and other water based exercise, it's our choice. there's nothing in any rehatnama or in gurbani about it. don't you think Guru ji understood the concept of swimming? i mean, didn't he spend three days in a river?

do you know why i encourage everyone to learn to swim? because my close friend's daughter drowned and DIED because people nearby couldn't swim enough to save her. anything that can help us to save a life is a gift from GOD. so get off your extremist high horse and let it go.

Honestly, I wasn't going to reply, but Jasleen Bhenji your post is really really troubling for a few reasons-

1. your attack on the poster was completely over the top - you made it too personal in my opinion

2. the question of modesty is a valid point- yes its the problem of the 'a$$hole' as you put it, but its also a problem when a Gursikh is not cognizant enough of their surroundings to prevent that type of situation to the best of their ability

3. the question of the water being jootha is a fair point in my opinion - from my understanding the reason why we can share jooth w/ non-amritdharis isn't due to the germ aspect so the chlorine doesn't solve the problem

4. Guru Sahib knew about swimming cuz he spent 3 days in a river?!! this is probably the most ubsurd comment ever - stop devaluing our history and suggesting that Guru Sahib was swimming for 3 days - that comment actually hurt quite a bit- wasn't expecting that from you

bhul chuk maaf karni

daas

Guest Magarmuch

Swimming is a very important skill to have and also one of the best all-round exercises. Also, you aren't much of a sipahi if you can't swim.

As for the water being 'joota' - you aren't meant to drink it! I guess Sarovars are jootey as is the air we share with each other.

As some Bhen Ji's have explained above, it is perfectly possible to dress modestly while swimming. By the way, why doesn't this apply to men? If you have a problem with kaam - don't blame others!!

4. Guru Sahib knew about swimming cuz he spent 3 days in a river?!! this is probably the most ubsurd comment ever - stop devaluing our history and suggesting that Guru Sahib was swimming for 3 days - that comment actually hurt quite a bit- wasn't expecting that from you

bhul chuk maaf karni

daas

to clarify, i NEVER SAID GURU JI WAS SWIMMING FOR THREE DAYS.

i'm sorry my words were unclear. i said i'm sure he knew about swimming. as in, it could have been in any maryada for WOMEN not to swim, but it's not.

i hope that's easier to understand.

as for the remarks to the poster, come on. who comes in here and posts extremist views under "guest" profiles? people who actually care about sikhi? i doubt it.

Girls can get full body swimsuits which have the extra benefit of making you look like a professional Olympic swimmer.

Yupp u can..and not too expensive either!

then that sounds like a great idea.

I'ss perfectly possible to do so when swimming.

Yes. However swimming is an excellent way of exercising all your muscle groups. It's up to personal choice whether or not to choose this form of exercise. In my opinion, at least knowing how to swim is an essential skill a human being should have for various reasons.

Very true. However I think my experiences in swimming pools when I was younger have built up my immune system lol. God bless those verrucas. Anyway although this is one of the reasons I haven't gone swimming in a while, public swimming pools aren't the only place you can swim. Especially in places like America where people are lucky enough to have private pools.

Why? Mine do. If you consult your Panj Pyare, they will tell you whatever they feel is best, but please don't tell other people what you think their Panj Pyare should tell them.

Yes. Btw what has this got to do with swimming?

i mean we dont actually wear shorts cz of our hairy legs...(sorry guys)

Lastly, it's impressive that Jasleen Kaur feels comfortable enough with her body and her Guru's will to wear shorts. Although many will judge her for doing so and will claim that she is 'enticing' others, perhaps the real reason why many Sikh girls do not wear shorts or cropped trousers is because of their 'hair' (as was mentioned above). If this is the case, then we must ask ourselves, are we really being modest by covering up? Or are we just using that as a pretence, covering up for feelings of embarassment with regards to the way our legs look. Are we really happy with the way Guru Ji made us?

With the way the majority of the population of the world currently think, hairy legs wouldn't entice many people anyway. Anyway I don't want to tell people how to dress or live their lives. Just wanted to type these few thoughts here.