Smoking On The Day Of Going To Gurdwara

Guest Inquisitor

Guest Inquisitor

My non-sikh friend smokes, and I believe that even though the friend smokes....that friend shouldn't do so on the day of going to the the Gurdwara as they want to come with me to the gurdwara to see what it is like , the friend wants to come but the friend but argues that before a shower it would surely be okay...what are your thoughts on this?

Do you ever have any bad thoughts about people on the days you go to gurdwara?

What's worse? Mann di mail, or a bad habit like smoking? in my opinion, smoking isn't like drinking, because it doesn't take over your ability to be a logical human being.. drinking has a high, an effect associated with it... so showing up drunk to gurdwara is dumb, because your motor skills are diminished, you become less in control of your actions, and the likelhood of doing something disrespectful or inappropriate is heightened... smoking a cigarette doesn't do that to you... obviously, it's not healthy... but so is eating chholay puriyaan without going for a hefty workout after!

If he's a non-sikh, the conduct and rehit maryada do NOT apply to him as an individual.... but obviously he does have to respect the conduct of the gurughar.... and by him showing up after smoking, if he's not bothering other people (i.e the smell..he's said he'll shower before coming, so he's mitigating that), then it's totally NOT an issue... it's not like he's gonna be smoking while sitting in darbar, or even outside the gurdwara (make that clear to him.. no smoking on the grounds).