Veechaar: Satjug Satgur Vasdev....

Singhstah

VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh!

Can anyone offer any help on understanding this Shabad by Bhai Gurdas Ji? I am certain it cannot mean how the translations present it to mean.

For one thing they have translated "naam japavae" as 'reminds of'.

ਸਤਿਜੁਗਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਵਾਸਦੇਵ ਵਵਾ ਵਿਸਨਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ।

satijugi satigur vaasadayv vavaa visanaa naamu japaavai|

In Satyug, Visnu in the form of Vasudev is said to have incarnated and ‘V’ Of Vahiguru reminds of Visnu.

ਦੁਆਪਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਹਾਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ।

duaapari satigur haree krisan haahaa hari hari naamu japaavai|

The true Guru of dvapar is said to be Harikrsna and ‘H’ of Vahiguru reminds of Hari.

ਤੇਤੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਰਾਮ ਜੀ ਰਾਰਾ ਰਾਮ ਜਪੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ ।

taytay satigur raam jee raaraa raam japay sukhu paavai|

In the the treta was Ram and ‘R’ of Vahiguru tells that rembering Ram will produce joy and happiness.

ਕਲਿਜੁਗਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗਗਾ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਲਾਵੈ ।

kalijugi naanak gur gobind gagaa gobind naamu alaavai|

In kalijug, Gobind is in the form of Nanak and ‘G’ of Vahiguru gets Govind recited.

ਚਾਰੇ ਜਾਗੇ ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗੀ ਪੰਚਾਇਣ ਵਿਚਿ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਵੈ ।

chaaray jaagay chahu jugee panchaain vichi jaai samaavai|

The recitations o f all the four ages subsume in Panchayan i.e. in the soul of the common man.

ਚਾਰੋ ਅਛਰ ਇਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਵਾਹਗੁਰੂ ਜਪੁ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਜਪਾਵੈ ।

chaaro achhar iku kari vaahaguroo japu mantr japaavai|

When joining four letters Vahiguru is remembered,

ਜਹਾ ਤੇ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਫਿਰਿ ਤਹਾ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥੪੯॥੧॥

jahaa tay upajiaa dhiri tahaa samaavai ॥49॥1॥

The jiv merges again in its origin.

VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh!

These words are to be understood in their true meanings and not to be associated with characters. Keep in mind that Guru Sahib used preexisting words and redefined them according to Gurmat. Bhai Sahib has done the exact same thing which is why his Vaars are called “Key” of Gurbani. Bhai Sahib would never have written anything to promote Krishna, Vishnu, Raam etc as they too were destroyed by kaal. In brief, each letter of Gurmantar refers to a specific characteristic or nature of Waheguru.

ਵ – ਵਾਸਦੇਵ – ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਵਾਸਾ ਹਰ ਥਾਂ ਤੇ ਹੈ

ਹ – ਹਰੀ – ਪ੍ਰਾਣਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਹਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ

ਗ – ਗੋਬਿੰਦ – ਸਰਬ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲਕ

ਰ – ਰਾਮ – ਜੋ ਹਰ ਕਿਤੇ ਰਮਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਹੈ

One example will suffice it. Gurbani says:

ਵਾਸੁਦੇਵ ਸਰਬਤ੍ਰ ਮੈ ਊਨ ਨ ਕਤਹੂ ਠਾਇ ॥

and

ਵਵਾ ਵੈਰੁ ਨ ਕਰੀਐ ਕਾਹੂ ॥ ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਸਮਾਹੂ ॥

ਵਾਸੁਦੇਵ ਜਲ ਥਲ ਮਹਿ ਰਵਿਆ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਵਿਰਲੈ ਹੀ ਗਵਿਆ ॥

It is clear from above panktis that Vasudev indeed means one whose presence is everywhere.

Some Sikhs believe that Gurmantar is copied by taking each letter of avtar’s name. This is wrong because:

1) Vasudev did not exist in Satjug and it is not a name of Krishna but of Krishna’s father. Vasudev was not an incarnation of Vishnu.

2) Taking each letter in order would not make up the word “Waheguru” but ਵਹਰਗ. Taking each letter with sihari, kanna etc gives us ਵਿਹਰਾਗੋ. Again the word is not Gurmantar.

3) Order of letters is wrong. G should come before R.

4) Guru Nanak Sahib did not propagate the word “Gobind” as the name of Akaal Purakh. He preached that all names are attributes of one God but most superior is Gurmantar.

5) There have been avtars in the past but they were not Satguru. Each avtar cannot become a Guru or Satguru as there can only be one Satguru according to Gurbani. Bhai Randhir Singh has explained this in his books. Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji also says that only Guru Nanak Sahib is “Guru Avtaar” meaning that others were not Gurus or Satguru. If we interpret it by saying that it was Guru Sahib who revealed these names in previous yugs and preached to meditate upon them then it goes against Gurmat. Guru Sahib revealed Naam in kalyug. Guru Sahib did not take birth anytime. Other avtaars did not reveal Naam or propagated it. Guru Gobind Singh Ji says “Satnaam Kahoo Na Dirrayeo”. Read that part in Bachittar Natak.

In conclusion, the words in Vaar are to be taken as they mean in literal sense. Even if we say that “Waheguru” consists of all the names of previous yugs then it can only mean that reciting Gurmantar is equivalent to meditation of all four yugs combined. Nothing more. Asserting that Gurmantar is derived from Hinduism or Vedas is completely false.

Please listen to Sant Hari Singh Ji's Katha on the waheguru mantar for the meaning to this shabad in line with the meanings for waheguru mantar in the Sri Dasam Granth

http://www.gurmatveechar.org/video/video.p...aheguroo_Mantar

http://www.gurmatveechar.org/video/Katha/B....Shabad.Hai.wmv

http://www.gurmatveechar.org/video/Katha/B...Houmai.Khoi.wmv

http://www.gurmatveechar.org/video/Katha/B...ai.Waheguru.wmv

That should explain all

Thanks very much kam1825 Ji, I will watch tomorrow, veechars of sants are always gems.

Thanks a bunch Bijla Singh Ji, makes perfect sense. Just another two more questions though, in your opinion what does the reference to the yugs here mean, and also in the first line both 'Vaasdev' and 'Visnaa', are present, it appears that this is a variation on Vishnu, just looked up quickly and the meaning of Vishnu is the same of Vasdev, so whats the significance of this? Thanks again.

bhull chuk maaf.

You should watch the video "Waheguru Mantar" by Sant Hari Singh. He explains it well and if you pay close attention to what he really means it will make perfect sense. He explains the context and greatness of this pauri. In my understanding:

ਵਾਸਦੇਵ (ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਵਾਸਾ ਹਰ ਥਾਂ ਤੇ ਹੈ ) ਰੂਪੀ ਕਰਤਾਰ (ਵਿਸਨਾ, ਬਿਸਨਾ, ਬਿਸਨ) ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਨੇ ਸਤਿਜੁਗ ਵਿਚ (ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ) ਵ ਅੱਖਰ ਨਾਮ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਕੀਤਾ ਅਤੇ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ ਕਰਾਇਆ । ਫਿਰ ਹਰੀ ਨਾਮ ਹ ਤੋਂ ਆਇਆ ।....ਮਤਲਬ ਕਿ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਅਵਤਾਰਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਣਿਆ ਬਲਕਿ ਇਹ ਨਾਮ ਜੋ ਅਵਤਾਰਾਂ ਨੇ ਮੱਲ ਲਏ ਸਨ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੇ ਇਕ ਇਕ ਅੱਖਰ ਤੋਂ ਆਏ ਹਨ । ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਰੱਬ ਨੇ ਅੱਖਰ ਬਣਾਏ ਅਤੇ ਇਕ ਇਕ ਅੱਖਰ ਇਕ ਇਕ ਕਰਕੇ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਹੋਇਆ ਜਿਸ ਤੋਂ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਬਣਿਆ । ਕਿਸੇ ਵੀ ਅਵਤਾਰ ਨੂੰ ਪੂਰਾ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਕਦੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਸਗੋਂ ਇਕ ਅੱਖਰ ਹੀ ਦਿੱਤਾ । ਕੇਵਲ ਪੂਰਨ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੇ ਪੂਰਾ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਕੀਤਾ । ਸੋ ਵਾਸਦੇਵ, ਹਰੀ, ਰਾਮ ਅਤੇ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਆਦਿ ਨਾਮ ਗੁਰਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਤੋਂ ਨਿਕਲੇ ਹਨ ਅਤੇ ਇਹ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਸਾਰੇ ਜੁਗਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਸ਼੍ਰੇਸ਼ਟ ਹੈ ।

ਏਕ ਨਾਮਿ ਜੁਗ ਚਾਰਿ ਉਧਾਰੇ ਸਬਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਵਿਸਾਹਾ ਹੇ ॥11॥

Read the entire shabad. I don't think I need to explain further. You can also read Bhai Veer Singh Ji's teeka of Vaars. Thanks for the links. It helped me to understand better. Guru Rakha

You should watch the video "Waheguru Mantar" by Sant Hari Singh. He explains it well and if you pay close attention to what he really means it will make perfect sense. He explains the context and greatness of this pauri. In my understanding:

ਵਾਸਦੇਵ (ਜਿਸ ਦਾ ਵਾਸਾ ਹਰ ਥਾਂ ਤੇ ਹੈ ) ਰੂਪੀ ਕਰਤਾਰ (ਵਿਸਨਾ, ਬਿਸਨਾ, ਬਿਸਨ) ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਨੇ ਸਤਿਜੁਗ ਵਿਚ (ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ) ਵ ਅੱਖਰ ਨਾਮ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਕੀਤਾ ਅਤੇ ਦ੍ਰਿੜ ਕਰਾਇਆ । ਫਿਰ ਹਰੀ ਨਾਮ ਹ ਤੋਂ ਆਇਆ ।....ਮਤਲਬ ਕਿ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਅਵਤਾਰਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਣਿਆ ਬਲਕਿ ਇਹ ਨਾਮ ਜੋ ਅਵਤਾਰਾਂ ਨੇ ਮੱਲ ਲਏ ਸਨ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਦੇ ਇਕ ਇਕ ਅੱਖਰ ਤੋਂ ਆਏ ਹਨ । ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਰੱਬ ਨੇ ਅੱਖਰ ਬਣਾਏ ਅਤੇ ਇਕ ਇਕ ਅੱਖਰ ਇਕ ਇਕ ਕਰਕੇ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਹੋਇਆ ਜਿਸ ਤੋਂ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਬਣਿਆ । ਕਿਸੇ ਵੀ ਅਵਤਾਰ ਨੂੰ ਪੂਰਾ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਕਦੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਦਿੱਤਾ ਸਗੋਂ ਇਕ ਅੱਖਰ ਹੀ ਦਿੱਤਾ । ਕੇਵਲ ਪੂਰਨ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਨੇ ਪੂਰਾ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਕੀਤਾ । ਸੋ ਵਾਸਦੇਵ, ਹਰੀ, ਰਾਮ ਅਤੇ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਆਦਿ ਨਾਮ ਗੁਰਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਤੋਂ ਨਿਕਲੇ ਹਨ ਅਤੇ ਇਹ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਸਾਰੇ ਜੁਗਾਂ ਤੋਂ ਸ਼੍ਰੇਸ਼ਟ ਹੈ ।

ਏਕ ਨਾਮਿ ਜੁਗ ਚਾਰਿ ਉਧਾਰੇ ਸਬਦੇ ਨਾਮ ਵਿਸਾਹਾ ਹੇ ॥11॥

Read the entire shabad. I don't think I need to explain further. You can also read Bhai Veer Singh Ji's teeka of Vaars. Thanks for the links. It helped me to understand better. Guru Rakha

Respected Bijla Singh ji,

You offer counter arguments to Kala Afgan but when some sikh asks you for clarifications you stop after your initial reaction only. This does not seems reasonable. Anyway, it is one's personal choice. [Ref; thread On Vedas]

Kindly do not bother now.

Regards.!