Udasi Priests

DSH

WGJKK WGJKF,

I had read somewhere that for over 100 years after Guru Gobind Singh ji's death, udasi priests had protected and maintained sikh holy shrines such as Takht Hazur Sahib, Anandpur and Amritsar. Also i read that the udasis had:

"established schools of learning to keep the Sikh tradition alive."

What i don't quite understand is why udasi priests were maintaining these holy places of worship?

I also don't quite understand why they were keeping the sikh traditon alive? Surely that was the job of the sikhs of the time?

Surely the sikhs of Guru Gobind Singh ji were more than capable of protecting and maintaining these holy places of worship and keeping the Sikh tradition alive?

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me a fact based reason as to why udasi priests were maintaining these Gurudwaras'.

Anandpur sahibs seva sambhal was given to udasin sadhu baba gurbaksh rai by guru gobind singh ji before they left sri anandpur who later died protecting the place from gulab rai ... udasins did seva till 1920s even in khalsa raj maharaja ranjeet singh never tried to change the seva to some other samparda ...