Is This Person A Sikh ?

There is a person whose entire family is communist and atheist. The guy was an athiest all his life and believed in 'survival of the fittest theory' and considered religion to be just one of the clever ways of earning money and belonging to a group for protection.

When he was 28, he started to read about sikhi and he got so inspired that he started to believe in God. He only bows his head in front of Guru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaj Jee. He does not committ the 4 cardinal sins, does mool mantarr paath at 5 a.m and I guess has started to do nitnem as well...He loves shastars and always keeps a big Sri Sahib in his car.

For him, the biggest quality he sees in a person is honest and simple lifestyle and avoiding 4 cardinal sins. He does not want to chakk amrit as he feels amritdharis are hypocrites, commit cardinal sins and chakk amrit again... avoid kirt.

Now, is this guy a sikh ? He is not an amritdhari and does not want to be one.

Sikh Reht Maryada

SIKH CODE OF CONDUCT AND CONVENTIONS

Section One

CHAPTER 1

The Definition of Sikh :

Article I

Any human being who faithfully believes in

i. One Immortal Being,

ii. Ten Gurus, from Guru Nanak Sahib to Guru Gobind Singh Sahib,

iii. The Guru Granth Sahib,

iv. The utterances and teachings of the ten Gurus and

v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

Bhul chuk maaf karni ji

Sikh Reht Maryada

Section One

CHAPTER 1

The Definition of Sikh :

Article I

i. One Immortal Being,

v. the baptism bequeathed by the tenth Guru, and who does not owe allegiance to any other religion, is a Sikh

Bhul chuk maaf karni ji

Is he a sehajdhari sikh ? Does any panthic rehat maryada define a sehajdhari sikh ?

Sikh Reht Maryada

Section One

CHAPTER 1

The Definition of Sikh :

Article I

i. One Immortal Being,

Bhul chuk maaf karni ji

Is he a sehajdhari sikh ? Does any panthic rehat maryada define a sehajdhari sikh ?

He maybe classed as a sehajdhari Sikh in casual terms only . But he is not a SIKH.

Either you are a SIKH according to the Maryada above or not.

There is no half way to be called a Sikh. Monae, trim Sikhs, non-Amritdhari Sikhs, sehajdhari Sikhs are NOT SIKHS ACCORDING TO THE GURU.

During Guru jee's time, amrit was given on merit. Satguru jee decided whom to give amrit and not.. These days, there is no merit. A person chakks amrit, committ bajjar kurehit and again goes and chakk amrit from a different place. Many people chakk amrit for serving in Gurdwaras etc. Recently Sukhbir Badal also chakked amrit for political gains. So Sukhbir Bada is a sikh and the guy mentioned in the above post is not sikh...

I personally feel this guy shud be chakking amrit, but still he is some sort of sikh to me..

During Guru jee's time, amrit was given on merit. Satguru jee decided whom to give amrit and not.. These days, there is no merit. A person chakks amrit, committ bajjar kurehit and again goes and chakk amrit from a different place. Many people chakk amrit for serving in Gurdwaras etc. Recently Sukhbir Badal also chakked amrit for political gains. So Sukhbir Bada is a sikh and the guy mentioned in the above post is not sikh...

I personally feel this guy shud be chakking amrit, but still he is some sort of sikh to me..

Agree 100% xHarinder_singh with you ! It is people (not Sikhi and its principles) and their behaviours that will show 'glimmers' of Sikhi even if they are non-Sikh. HOWEVER, this should be no excuse not to Amrit shaak and do Sikhi parchaar. There is a small minority of 'Sikhs' who are Sikhs not because they claim alliegence to the Guru but for homae (ego).

You should tell your friend to become a true Sikh and not make excuses on behalf of corrupt so called Sikhs (who incidently cannot be Sikhs because their behaviours are against Sikhi). He should lead by example !!!!!

There is a person whose entire family is communist and atheist. The guy was an athiest all his life and believed in 'survival of the fittest theory' and considered religion to be just one of the clever ways of earning money and belonging to a group for protection.

When he was 28, he started to read about sikhi and he got so inspired that he started to believe in God. He only bows his head in front of Guru Granth Sahib Jee Maharaj Jee. He does not committ the 4 cardinal sins, does mool mantarr paath at 5 a.m and I guess has started to do nitnem as well...He loves shastars and always keeps a big Sri Sahib in his car.

For him, the biggest quality he sees in a person is honest and simple lifestyle and avoiding 4 cardinal sins. He does not want to chakk amrit as he feels amritdharis are hypocrites, commit cardinal sins and chakk amrit again... avoid kirt.

Now, is this guy a sikh ? He is not an amritdhari and does not want to be one.

khalsa ji,

I am not amritdhari, and as such im not sure if i should comment. One thing i know tho is if HE is going on the true path, then he should go and shakk amrit, its not HIM who is going to be a hyprocrite, as long as HE keeps his commitment with Akal Purkh, why should he go looking for examples, good or bad? shouldnt be this a promise between him and the Guru? :)

bhull chukk maaf

I don't know anything about classifying people as Sikh or not. However, the Rehat Maryada clearly states that a person must believe in it.

Why does he think all Amritdharis are like that? Maybe you should introduce him to more people, either in person or through stories about Gursikhs. There are many people who recite Gurbani, but go around doing things they probably shouldn't do. He still has love for Gurbani though, right? Amrit can change people, but people cannot do anything to Amrit.

why are we discussing a person who isn't even hear? are we trying to categorize him in some sense? He will take Khanday Bathey di Pahul when guru sahib feels like he is ready=) so please stop worrying about him and pray to akal purakh to bless us all to Love and accept people as He has created them.

(why does it matter if he is a sikh or not to u jio? :BL: all i see is the guy is on the path ..hes been blessed to be in love with Sikhi/Vaheguru. guru sahib loves us all no matter what; unless i've understood wrong? )

bhul chuk muaff karni

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!