TAKING AMRIT

indeed.

you were not born or present when sggs was written/compiled either

you have no way to verify what is written is infact by our Gurus and some bhagat

Absolutely spot on :umm: ......All those you mentioned, Gurus, Sants, Bhagats are dead and gone, but they left an account behind, which you have a CHOICE to believe or not believe. Which account one believes, makes us write what we write here !

I can only write what the Guru Granth Sahib says, that be my choice ! :D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mehtab

Correction : Guruji is a jyot and is an alive one within SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JEE

dead and gone? i request u to please try and use respectful words for our Guruji...or shud i say my Guruji?

Guest SikhForLife

no objection

we have a choice. some of us choose to believe in 1699 so please dont condemn khanda bantey da amrit as initiated by our 10th master.

• 2 months later...

There was allways an inititiation into the Sikh path. Before khanda batey da amrit there was charn pahul ki amrit. This is written in the Vaarn of Bhai Gurdas Ji which is also considered Gurbani by the Gurus. Guru Gobind Singh Ji merely changed the form of this initiation in 1699.

Also, if someone considers the Guru Granth Sahib as their Guru (which is essentially the Gurus in another saroop) then they must also accept all other sayings/teachings of the Gurus outside of the Guru Granth Sahib as hukum to be followed. That is if they REALLY accept the Guru Granth Sahib as their Guru. This means accepting Khalsa Panth as Guru as well as khanda battey da amrit :wub:

Of course, it's up to people how much they want to accept or follow. But just because they choose to not believe in something doesn't meant that they are correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Wjkk Wjkf...

Masti - I tottaly agree with you. Amrit is shabad and u get amirt by recieting paat and doing seva. The way i look at things is...i'm going to do everything to follow what the guru granth shaib says right, meaning to be at a high spirtual conciousness and then i'd take amrit, to become the soilder..If soomone follows the gurus teachings right..they are reiceving the amrit by doing naam simran etc. and leading a good life by followin the teachings.

I dont think a person HAS to hit the gurudwara to get "baptized" aka. being "amrit tari"...because they will have already have the amrit inside them because they are doing paath and leading the life that guru ji wants people to live. Reason why guru gobind singh ji did amrit the bata was for the sikhs to turn from sparrows to hawks..for them to have strentgth, and identity..its hard to exaplain. When i know more about this i will deffinately post it up and share my ideas on this. :wub:

Also..its sad that so many people the youth, older generation dont understand the True concept of Amrit etc. Why are people so worried about being "amrit-tari" (as what majority of the people take it as) instead why not be worried about..being one wit waheguru? lol...just my intake on all this i hope i didnt offend anyone.

Satnam

^_^ If i havnt made any sense to anyone, i

9;m sorry :D

Wjkk Wjkf...

Masti - I tottaly agree with you. Amrit is shabad and u get amirt by recieting paat and doing seva. The way i look at things is...i'm going to do everything to follow what the guru granth shaib says right, meaning to be at a high spirtual conciousness and then i'd take amrit, to become the soilder..If soomone follows the gurus teachings right..they are reiceving the amrit by doing naam simran etc. and leading a good life by followin the teachings.

I dont think a person HAS to hit the gurudwara to get "baptized" aka. being "amrit tari"...because they will have already have the amrit inside them because they are doing paath and leading the life that guru ji wants people to live. Reason why guru gobind singh ji did amrit the bata was for the sikhs to turn from sparrows to hawks..for them to have strentgth, and identity..its hard to exaplain. When i know more about this i will deffinately post it up and share my ideas on this. :wub:

Also..its sad that so many people the youth, older generation dont understand the True concept of Amrit etc. Why are people so worried about being "amrit-tari" (as what majority of the people take it as) instead why not be worried about..being one wit waheguru? lol...just my intake on all this i hope i didnt offend anyone.

Satnam

^_^ If i havnt made any sense to anyone, i

9;m sorry :D

Guest mehtab

There is a standard and simple response to all questions about Amrit.

Even the master of the universe Guru Gobind Singh Jee had to kneel down and request the panj pyaare for Amrit (thats right, Khande baate di pahul). Is anyone who says anything otherwise better than Gurujee?

Naam Amrit follows Khande baate di pahul, as naam is already inside us, but thanks to our ego, it doesnt get "triggered". Its Khande baate da Amrit that "triggers" this naam amrit within us.

Actually the amrit is triggerd when a person is reiceiting paat and living their life according to it. So in my opinion you dont need amritdabata to trigger it. And you said one has amrit inside of them when they do naam. Well think about it...your doing paat- amrit is shabad/simran/seva..its in you..one decides to follow the teachings of the gurus..stil the amrit is inside of you..what more would you want..then by doing this, the person realizes that they want to be one with waheguru..hmm how do they do that? well by living the way our guru ji wants us to. soo..what is their left to trigger? if one can realize and do this all witout takin "amrit da bata" then? lol. Also, you need to find out why guru ji had to take the "amrit" in a materialistic way to show the sikhs that they have an idenity, strength. it was like a new life for them. it was during war..hmm..i'll explain myself better on thursday when i post again about why i believe guru ji took amrit etc. i hope i didnt offend anyone..

^_^ wjkk wjkf

Sat Sri Akal:

Mehtab Singh Ji nailed it on the head. Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself kneeled and took Amrit from the Panj Pyare. Guru Sahib, who had EVERYTHING, always was content, whose face did not show disappointment at the hukam of the Almighty...what reason would he have for taking Amrit? He himself was the embodiment of Gurbani, whose every hair was wrapped in meditation, whose every breath was in memory of the Almighty. The Guru is a teacher. Part of the reason the Gurus did what they did was to set an example to their Sikhs (students) what to do. If Guru Sahib (teacher) took Amrit, then the Sikhs (students) should follow.

Giving Amrit to the Sikhs was not the creation of the Tenth Master. Rather, it was started by Guru Nanak Sahib, in the form of Charan Pahul. This institution has been around since the First Master. Keep that in mind.

When many Rehatnamae exist that say one should take Khandae-Batta-Da-Amrit, when Guru Sahib himself praised ONLY the Khalsa (aka. those who had taken Amrit and become Sikhs of the Guru), and himself took Amrit from the Panj Pyare, when the Sikh sants (ideal Sikhs) themselves took Amrit and preached to others to take Amrit, why is the question of whether Amrit is needed to become a Sikh even brought up?

A Sikh is one who says that my head is Guru Sahib's (done by taking Amrit). With saying that comes the duty to obey the Guru Sahib's command without hesitation and question, and Amrit is that command. By stating that Amrit is not required, you are putting up a debate against Guru Sahib. Before you embark on this path, perhaps it would be best to ask, "Am I at that same level at which I can question Guru Sahib

?" If you answer yes, then you are not looking to be a Sikh...you are looking to be Guru Sahib.

I fail to understand exactly what you have against Khandae-Batta-Da-Amrit. Please enlighten the Sangat.

And please take no offense from the above. If I do offend you, I apologize.

Guest mehtab

prathham rehith yehi jaan kha(n)ddae kee paahul shhakae ||asoee si(n)gh pradhhaan avar n paahul jo leae ||

To drink the Ambrosial Nectar of the Khanda (Amrit) is the primary instruction for the Sikh. He who abandons all other initiations is truly a great Sikh.

Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh

"Lioness in Training" jee, until a few months back I was the same as you, and would think "Why do these Amritdharis think they are better than others?". Although I never doubted the importance of Amrit, perhaps I unknowingly used some words in my way of speech which did. And I tell you from personal experience, I firmly believe thats the reason that my moment of taking Amrit has been delayed (and so I am still a non-Amritdhari). If you think Amrit is not necessary, then please by all means do as much paath as you can, and do Ardas to Gurujee to make you ready for Amrit. In about an year's time I shall wait for your new response :wub: .

Gurujee bless you with chardi kala