Offer A Toy Plane In Gurdwara And Get Visa For Canada

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2009/20090116/main6.htm

If wishes were planes, then Punjabis would ride

Kusum Arora

Tribune News Service

Jalandhar, January 15

See, ladoos, boondi or barfi — even liquor and clocks — are fine as offerings in temples and gurdwaras but what do you do if the tough visa regulations just won’t let you fly in a state where going abroad is the ultimate dream?

Simple: Try the aeroplane, may be a jumbo.

Delusional, may be, but faith is driving hoardes of people from phoren-smitten Doaba region, tired of waiting for visas post 9/11 and sundry other such incidents such as our own 26/11, to temples with their objects of fancy, toy aeroplanes.

Backed by a fervent prayer, they hope, it will take them out of the country sooner than the rule-makers think.

At Gurdwara Sant Baba Nihal Singh Ji Shaheedan in Talhan village, near here, the plane is a winner hands down .

Ask Harbans Kaur, mother of Laddi of Raipur Phalara village: “My son had been trying hard to go to Canada but, for one reason or the other, he was denied a visa. A friend suggested we offer the replica of an aeroplane at Talhan gurdwara. It worked. My son is now in Canada. There is nothing wrong in what I did.”

Sandeep Kaur of Jalandhar said she got married to an England-based NRI nearly two years ago but has not been able to join him there. “I have also made a similar offering. What are a few hundred rupees if they can assure you a chance of settling abroad?”

Gurdwara head granthi Manjeet Singh says, for over a year now, every week brings at least 40 toy planes to them. The number is higher on weekdays and Sundays. They have a room full of winged beauties.

Shops outside the gurdwara are making a killing: each plane is between Rs 150 and Rs 500. The run of the planes has left the all-time favourite symbol of Sikh identity, the “kara”, far behind. It is less visible too.

Blind faith, after all...

Haha this is 100% true

The Gurdwara is about 5mins drive from our village, we go there every other day. We had Akhand Paath there 2 years in succession, and both years the reason behind most peoples Akhand Paath was to get a visa to another country. I think 45-48 Akhand Paaths are done at the same time, and they're always fully booked.

As for the planes, the Gurdwara hall is decorated with them. The area behind the 'golak' is full of planes of different sizes. I mean, a Gurdwara that was made in memory of the Shaheeda Babeh (Baba Nihal Singh Ji & Baba Harnam Singh Ji) is becoming a warehouse for plastic aeroplanes. By all means do ardas at the Gurdwara for a visa but this is a joke.

I will try to get some photos up if I have them

Haha this is 100% true

The Gurdwara is about 5mins drive from our village, we go there every other day. We had Akhand Paath there 2 years in succession, and both years the reason behind most peoples Akhand Paath was to get a visa to another country. I think 45-48 Akhand Paaths are done at the same time, and they're always fully booked.

As for the planes, the Gurdwara hall is decorated with them. The area behind the 'golak' is full of planes of different sizes. I mean, a Gurdwara that was made in memory of the Shaheeda Babeh (Baba Nihal Singh Ji & Baba Harnam Singh Ji) is becoming a warehouse for plastic aeroplanes. By all means do ardas at the Gurdwara for a visa but this is a joke.

haha so true my village is like 5 mins from talhan 2, dhanowali. The space behind the golak is full of toy planes and when i asked my mama why were those their he said people charah them who have done ardas at talhan for a visa and got it. LOL. the shops opposite the gurdwara sahib sell more planes then other sikhi related things. DOABA for u. Singhson what village you from? babeh daseh? slimpur?

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2009/20090116/main6.htm

If wishes were planes, then Punjabis would ride

Kusum Arora

Tribune News Service

Jalandhar, January 15

See, ladoos, boondi or barfi — even liquor and clocks — are fine as offerings in temples and gurdwaras but what do you do if the tough visa regulations just won't let you fly in a state where going abroad is the ultimate dream?

Simple: Try the aeroplane, may be a jumbo.

Delusional, may be, but faith is driving hoardes of people from phoren-smitten Doaba region, tired of waiting for visas post 9/11 and sundry other such incidents such as our own 26/11, to temples with their objects of fancy, toy aeroplanes.

Backed by a fervent prayer, they hope, it will take them out of the country sooner than the rule-makers think.

At Gurdwara Sant Baba Nihal Singh Ji Shaheedan in Talhan village, near here, the plane is a winner hands down .

Ask Harbans Kaur, mother of Laddi of Raipur Phalara village: "My son had been trying hard to go to Canada but, for one reason or the other, he was denied a visa. A friend suggested we offer the replica of an aeroplane at Talhan gurdwara. It worked. My son is now in Canada. There is nothing wrong in what I did."

Sandeep Kaur of Jalandhar said she got married to an England-based NRI nearly two years ago but has not been able to join him there. "I have also made a similar offering. What are a few hundred rupees if they can assure you a chance of settling abroad?"

Gurdwara head granthi Manjeet Singh says, for over a year now, every week brings at least 40 toy planes to them. The number is higher on weekdays and Sundays. They have a room full of winged beauties.

Shops outside the gurdwara are making a killing: each plane is between Rs 150 and Rs 500. The run of the planes has left the all-time favourite symbol of Sikh identity, the "kara", far behind. It is less visible too.

Blind faith, after all...

This is horrible and very un Sikhi. Offering toy airplanes so God will make the person going through the stack of immagration papers in the USA find yours any quicker!

And THEN making a BUSINESS OUT OF IT! :o

Haha this is 100% true

haha so true my village is like 5 mins from talhan 2, dhanowali. The space behind the golak is full of toy planes and when i asked my mama why were those their he said people charah them who have done ardas at talhan for a visa and got it. LOL. the shops opposite the gurdwara sahib sell more planes then other sikhi related things. DOABA for u. Singhson what village you from? babeh daseh? slimpur?

I'm from Dhilwan which is next to Dhanowali! Babeh Daseh Gurdwara is very near us. You heard of my village?