Amrit Keertan

Deep Singh

^_^ Saadh Sangat jee,

i want some information.

As i can almost nothing about Gurbani Keertan and Sikh musicology, i need some help. Guys, i have heard about Amrit Keertan Gutka, it can be found at allaboutsikhs.com, proudtobesikh.com, sikhnet.com and perhaps other sites also.

I found this really good index:

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/akindex.asp

and started wondering...

i know that Amrit Keertan Gutka contains the Shabads that are recites/sung at Gurdwaras etc. But does it contain all of the ca. 5500 Shabads from Sri Guru Granth Sahib? And are there 'Gurbani Shabads' [let us say Bani of Guru Gobind Singh ji, that can be also sung at Gurdwaras] that is not found in Amrit Keertan Gutka? And is AMK-G of a standard size - 1016 pages, like SGGS contains 1430 pannas? Who wrote AMK-G?

And in what way are the Shabads in AMK-G organized, Raag.wise, writter, alphabetically, etc?

Thanks for helping guys,

May God bless you.

1020 pajes

khalsa brothers pubslihin

not all the baani as in Guru Granth Sahib

A smal compliation (in relation) to the number of shabads of Guru Granth Sahib

There are many differnt types of gutkayl ike so... i have a few at home.. the obious one that you're talking about.. there's a jeevan singh/chattar singh publisihing one.. and then there's one called Amrit Bani, by Khalsa Bros.

the one you're thinking of is the one that's used by most though

there's another one called Bol Shabdi Asa di //...it has all of asa di // and has a compilation of shabads that can be sun with each chakka of asa di vaar....

i was reading in the introduction ...and it mentioned something about Bhai Randhir Singh or his jatha helping to compile the shabads....it's also very goood

If I am not mistaken Amrit Kirtan Pothis were first published by Akhand Kirtani Jatha. When you open the pothi it says that this pothi is samarpit to a mohan jot, which is referring to Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Ji.

And yes, Amrit Kirtan Pothi does not contain all the shabads. For ex., The shabad 'Jaane Jaane Re Raja Raam Ki Kahani' is not in there (I am not mistaken, again!). And the Shabads are indexed alphabatically by subject.

I'm not a pro with these, so someone else might be able to tell more...

Veerjis ^_^

thanks for helping out.

Now i was wondering, like in Gurbani we find Shabads that have 4 pads (for eks.) but when Keertanis singh the Shabads why do they only sing a few Tuks? Why not the whole Shabads? What is the reason...sorry because i really don't have any knowledge of Gurbani Keertan that is why i am asking.

And why isn't there any such Pothi that contains all ca. 5900 Shabads from SGGS and also the Shabads that are accepted as part of Gurbani Keertan, Bani of Dasam Patsahi, and additionally Bhai Nandlal Singh jee and Bhai Gurdas jee....why isn't there such a Gurbani Keertan Gutka or online database? :umm:

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I think that is because the point of the poti (Amrit Keertan) is supposed to be smaller and more compact than the whole Guru-granth sahib... if we wanted every shabad, each one of us would need to carry around the whole Guru Granth sahib, and the whole dasam granth!! A little heavy! blush.gif

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

haha....true. just needs a bit of logic doesn't it. rolleyes.gif good one...

but what about Keertanis only singing parts of the Shabad and not the whole Shabad. is there a specific reason behind that also? does it have to do with the way Keertan is performed. perhaps if Keertanis were to sing the whole Shabad....it would be more like Gurbani Ucharan and not Keertan.... blush.gif now i am confused again. sorry for my stupidity.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

No, you raise a good point, Deep Singh jee. I personally choose to do the entire shabad... but I think that everything must be in context. If the shabad makes sense by reading part of it, then it should be OK to read that part individually.

Just my thought though.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!