Very Important Sikh Question !

WJKK WJKF

Sangat Ji can you please educate me on why we do PARKAASH of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji please ?

What relevance does it have according to Gurmat ?

I am particularly interested in why/ where we place Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji on a 'manjee' and other concepts such as 'choor sahib', have a 'palki', have a 'chandova', cover Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji with a 'ramalaa', place in 'suchkand' to rest, etc

WJKF WJKF.

WJKK WJKF

Sangat Ji can you please educate me on why we do PARKAASH of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji please ?

I am particularly interested in why/ where we place Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji on a 'manjee' and other concepts such as 'choor sahib', have a 'palki', have a 'chandova', cover Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji with a 'ramalaa', place in 'suchkand' to rest, etc

WJKF WJKF.

gurufateh g

out of piar for the beautiful teachings of our Guru

Guru Granth Sahib g is in every way our living Guru n we treat Guru Ji as such

WJKK WJKF

WJKF WJKF.

From my understanding (forgive me for any mistakes)...

Parkaash of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is essentially the act of allowing us to get darshan of the Shabad Guru. Hence each and every day, the rumalaa sahib will be removed and Maharaj will bless us with a Hukamnama. From what I know, Parkaash of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is done today just as it was right back to the times of Sri Guru Arjun Dev Ji.

As to why we have Palki, chandova, chaur sahib etc we need to put it into context. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji encompasses the same Jot as Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji etc. Therefore, Maharaj Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the True King of Kings, the Sache Paatshah.

Just as a King would have their court and be shown respect, our Guru Sahibs, the King of Kings would also have their own Darbaars.

darbarg.jpg

The Picture above is an example of what Guru Gobind Singh Ji Darbaar would look like. There would be Gursikhs doing Chaur Sahibs over Guru Sahib as a mark of respect. They would be seated on a Throne (Palki) at a higher level than everyone else and a royal canopy (Chandowa) would hover over them bringing the focus of the Darbar on the most important person there - The Guru.

Utmost respect was always also given to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, so much in fact that Sri Guru Arjun Dev Ji also used to sleep on the floor under a bed, the bed would be for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Later, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us the hukam that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji was to be our eternal Guru.

Therefore, no less respect to royalty should be shown to Maharaaj Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as was shown to the our previous Gurus. That is why, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has their own Court (Darbaar), dressed in amazing rumallaas, is seated upon a Throne (Palki Sahib) with a royal canopy (Chandowa) hovering above them and a loving devotee waving a Chaur Sahib over them. At night, they go to Sachkand and are placed upon a bed just as was done by Sri Guru Arjun Dev Ji.

We can never show enough respect to the Sache Patshaah, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji who can take us out of this cycle of life and death. BUT we should also pay as much respect as what our Guru Sahib is saying and try to follow that otherwise, it is pointless.

Its actually quite appauling that the many Sangat members on this forum have been unable to give a suitable response (except Tera -thank you !). Does the lack of responses show our lack of understanding on what Parchaar actually means in accordance to Gurmat ???????

Up until recently, I just took the concept of Parchaar as to mean respect to Guru Ji (which it does in its most simplest form). I questioned the traditions I have so become used to and given the virtually ZERO response from this forum decided to ask a load of Gursikhs, again many of them said to respect, blah blah (their decades of so called knowledge can only be described as 'Sheepish' -ie. no real conviction on why they do Parkaash). Double shame to these guys !

Anyway, I came across a solid Sewadaar buzoorgh at Govindwal, near Amritsar last week and he said the following (translated):

Basically if you deeply and sincerely accept Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as representation of the jot of the 10 Gurus, ie the Shabd Guru then instead of calling it a 'holy book' (stupid coconut term -he didnt say this bit!) or scriptures with 1430 pages you would say this is the Suroop of the Guru and the pages are therefore Angs.

As a living everpresent Guru you apply all the protocols of a living Guru bestowed upon it. So in the morning you bring it out of rest (Parkash) and in the evening you put it to rest (Santokh). You talk to the Guru Ji through Ardas and Hukamnama. The Manji Sahib is like a throne or bed and Ramala are like clothes.

It is important to note that these protocols are strictly reserved only for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and not other banis or other sacred texts on the basis of history (from the time of Guru Arjan Dev Ji) and on the fact that is the Guru of the Panth as confered by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Do we now agree and understand the term Parkaash ?????

Its actually quite appauling that the many Sangat members on this forum have been unable to give a suitable response (except Tera -thank you !). Does the lack of responses show our lack of understanding on what Parchaar actually means in accordance to Gurmat ???????

Up until recently, I just took the concept of Parchaar as to mean respect to Guru Ji (which it does in its most simplest form). I questioned the traditions I have so become used to and given the virtually ZERO response from this forum decided to ask a load of Gursikhs, again many of them said to respect, blah blah (their decades of so called knowledge can only be described as 'Sheepish' -ie. no real conviction on why they do Parkaash). Double shame to these guys !

Anyway, I came across a solid Sewadaar buzoorgh at Govindwal, near Amritsar last week and he said the following (translated):

Basically if you deeply and sincerely accept Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as representation of the jot of the 10 Gurus, ie the Shabd Guru then instead of calling it a 'holy book' (stupid coconut term -he didnt say this bit!) or scriptures with 1480 pages you would say this is the Suroop of the Guru and the pages are therefore Angs.

As a living everpresent Guru you apply all the protocols of a living Guru bestowed upon it. So in the morning you bring it out of rest (Parkash) and in the evening you put it to rest (Santokh). You talk to the Guru Ji through Ardas and Hukamnama. The Manji Sahib is like a throne or bed and Ramala are like clothes.

It is important to note that these protocols are strictly reserved only for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and not other banis or other sacred texts on the basis of history (from the time of Guru Arjan Dev Ji) and on the fact that is the Guru of the Panth as confered by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Do we now agree and understand the term Parkaash ?????

Correction: Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharah has 1430 Angs.

The Deh of Guru Maharaj is the Khalsa. Our Guru is Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

If not, then arent the Panj Pyare (5 Khalsa's) considered Guru Roop?

I think it is important to understand the reasons we do various acts like Parkaash (and nearly everything else).

Lack of knowledge is probably the main reason most people begin to have doubts when questioned by others. Its what 'groomers' rely on to get conversions...

And SinghIsKing - its probably just a typo in your post but you should correct it. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji has 1430 Ang.

I think it is important to understand the reasons we do various acts like Parkaash (and nearly everything else).

Lack of knowledge is probably the main reason most people begin to have doubts when questioned by others. Its what 'groomers' rely on to get conversions...

So true, half these converts to Islam etc are brainwashed when they are being said things like 'your god was killed by a mere emperor this that' (referring to Fifth Patshahi and Ninth Patshahi)

:(