To St. Jarnail Singh, With Love

SaRpAnCh

My 8 year old son, Sahib Singh, looked curiously at as I tied my Kesri Dastaar.

“Dad, is it a special day today” he asked, when I was done. He was more curious than usual since I don’t wear Kesri Dastaar unless the function I plan to attend has a special significance for the Sikh struggle.

“Yes” I replied. “I know what it is” he said with a face that reminded me of hundreds of children whose father’s death anniversary I was planning to commemorate today. Before I could ask “what is it”, he was gone and lost in his toys.

Somehow he was aware of the day from daily discussions he has with his brother who is 4 years older to him. For an eight year old to be reminded about a terrible day that has gone down in history as the “third Ghallughara” has both, positive and negative, consequences.

Yes, a young mind needs peace, tranquility and a family safety net to help develop its creative potential, but also needs to be exposed to the harsh reality of surroundings as growing mind will learn from these events to develop a defensive mechanism that may help them not only survive but also flourish in this increasingly violent and self-centered society.

I listened from a distance, pretending that I am not listening at all, to the conversations between two young brothers as they discussed events too close to their lives to be covered by Sikh history books, commented on by the Punjabi preachers who frequently visit our local Gurdwara or by the local TV channels.

“No, Bhindranwale is not dead”, Tarun Singh, our twelve year old remarked to Sahib. “Oh yes, Cheema uncle ji told us at the last camp that all those who fight for Sikhi never die”. I was amazed that eight-year-old Sahib remembered his lesson by Dr. Gurtej Singh Cheema, from the last Gurmat Camp he attended.

I left them alone to discuss, ponder and digest the meaning of 1984 as they see it. Trying to give it an adult flavor would only interfere with their understanding of the events and also prohibit them from developing a theory that explains the Sikh massacre in their childish words in an innocent world.

Sahib had gone to bed, when I came home late that night. As I sat at my desk looking at a paper that seem to have been put on the desk after I was gone. I knew this had to be from my son since it was “dumped” on the keyboard and mouse rather than neatly put on the side in my formal “in basket”.

I picked the paper that was folded in half to give it a shape of a greeting card that had to be opened to read the message inside. It was hard to miss as bright and vibrant red color crayola was used to draw a picture of what appeared to be a Gurdwara with two small domes on the side and a large one in the middle. Small figures on the picture appear to be depicting a hand to hand fight in front of the Gurdwara. I could not miss the small green dots on the building giving it the look of a bullet ridden body.

My amazement soared to new levels when I read the “message” inside the “greeting card”. It read “Dear St. Jarnail Singh, I hope you have a good day with guru Ji.”

A child’s imagination has no limits, but the feelings of a community are seen in every word a child utters. Sahib is hoping that Sant Jarnail Singh Ji is at the feet of Guru Ji, as this is our prayer for everyone who passes away.

For a child, an anniversary is always a joyous occasion to be celebrated and a day to be happy. At least that is how a child looks at celebrations. The “greeting card” from Sahib is tilted “Happy 25th Akal Tackat Sahib”.

Too young to even spell “Takhat” correctly, an eight year old has a vague understanding that it has been 25 years since Akal Takhat was a battle field.

Our children may not read about the 1984 Ghallughara in their text books for another generation, but a community that hopes to develop a strong future, should make an attempt to educate next generation on their own.

Our Gurmat camps, Gurdwaras, preachers and most importantly our parents have a strong obligation to take this message to our kids in a child’s language.

“Did you see my card?” Sahib asked me the next morning. “Yes, I did”, I responded while trying to control my emotions. I felt as if I have a big job to do when he said “Can you mail it, please !”.

“Yes, I will” I replied to give him a sense that he has paid his tribute to the Shaheeds in a way that he can.

How do I mail a “greeting card” to Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, written from the depth of an innocent heart by an eight year old in California?

I don’t have his address. May be my prayers will reach out to the departed souls that physically are gone, yet their spirit lives among us.

Yes, I have Sant Jarnail Singh’s mailing address…….. I will take, not just the words but, the message of this “greeting card” to my heart…..that is where he lives.

10 June 2009

http://www.worldsikhnews.com/10%20June%202...With%20Love.htm

My 8 year old son, Sahib Singh, looked curiously at as I tied my Kesri Dastaar.

"Dad, is it a special day today" he asked, when I was done. He was more curious than usual since I don't wear Kesri Dastaar unless the function I plan to attend has a special significance for the Sikh struggle.

"Yes" I replied. "I know what it is" he said with a face that reminded me of hundreds of children whose father's death anniversary I was planning to commemorate today. Before I could ask "what is it", he was gone and lost in his toys.

Somehow he was aware of the day from daily discussions he has with his brother who is 4 years older to him. For an eight year old to be reminded about a terrible day that has gone down in history as the "third Ghallughara" has both, positive and negative, consequences.

Yes, a young mind needs peace, tranquility and a family safety net to help develop its creative potential, but also needs to be exposed to the harsh reality of surroundings as growing mind will learn from these events to develop a defensive mechanism that may help them not only survive but also flourish in this increasingly violent and self-centered society.

I listened from a distance, pretending that I am not listening at all, to the conversations between two young brothers as they discussed events too close to their lives to be covered by Sikh history books, commented on by the Punjabi preachers who frequently visit our local Gurdwara or by the local TV channels.

"No, Bhindranwale is not dead", Tarun Singh, our twelve year old remarked to Sahib. "Oh yes, Cheema uncle ji told us at the last camp that all those who fight for Sikhi never die". I was amazed that eight-year-old Sahib remembered his lesson by Dr. Gurtej Singh Cheema, from the last Gurmat Camp he attended.

I left them alone to discuss, ponder and digest the meaning of 1984 as they see it. Trying to give it an adult flavor would only interfere with their understanding of the events and also prohibit them from developing a theory that explains the Sikh massacre in their childish words in an innocent world.

Sahib had gone to bed, when I came home late that night. As I sat at my desk looking at a paper that seem to have been put on the desk after I was gone. I knew this had to be from my son since it was "dumped" on the keyboard and mouse rather than neatly put on the side in my formal "in basket".

I picked the paper that was folded in half to give it a shape of a greeting card that had to be opened to read the message inside. It was hard to miss as bright and vibrant red color crayola was used to draw a picture of what appeared to be a Gurdwara with two small domes on the side and a large one in the middle. Small figures on the picture appear to be depicting a hand to hand fight in front of the Gurdwara. I could not miss the small green dots on the building giving it the look of a bullet ridden body.

My amazement soared to new levels when I read the "message" inside the "greeting card". It read "Dear St. Jarnail Singh, I hope you have a good day with guru Ji."

A child's imagination has no limits, but the feelings of a community are seen in every word a child utters. Sahib is hoping that Sant Jarnail Singh Ji is at the feet of Guru Ji, as this is our prayer for everyone who passes away.

For a child, an anniversary is always a joyous occasion to be celebrated and a day to be happy. At least that is how a child looks at celebrations. The "greeting card" from Sahib is tilted "Happy 25th Akal Tackat Sahib".

Too young to even spell "Takhat" correctly, an eight year old has a vague understanding that it has been 25 years since Akal Takhat was a battle field.

Our children may not read about the 1984 Ghallughara in their text books for another generation, but a community that hopes to develop a strong future, should make an attempt to educate next generation on their own.

Our Gurmat camps, Gurdwaras, preachers and most importantly our parents have a strong obligation to take this message to our kids in a child's language.

"Did you see my card?" Sahib asked me the next morning. "Yes, I did", I responded while trying to control my emotions. I felt as if I have a big job to do when he said "Can you mail it, please !".

"Yes, I will" I replied to give him a sense that he has paid his tribute to the Shaheeds in a way that he can.

How do I mail a "greeting card" to Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale, written from the depth of an innocent heart by an eight year old in California?

I don't have his address. May be my prayers will reach out to the departed souls that physically are gone, yet their spirit lives among us.

Yes, I have Sant Jarnail Singh's mailing address…….. I will take, not just the words but, the message of this "greeting card" to my heart…..that is where he lives.

10 June 2009

http://www.worldsikhnews.com/10%20June%202...With%20Love.htm

Thats beautiful, Shaheed Singhs live in the heart of every Gur Ka sikh :)