What Is Rehat?

Guest shastr
In 1950 the "Sikh Rehat Maryada" was finally approved. The document has been accepted as the official version which provides guidelines for all Sikh individuals and communities around the world. Its implementation has resulted in a high level of uniformity in the religious and social practices of Sikhism.

Sikh Rehat Maryada is based on earlier codes (Rehat namas), the earliest of them are:

Tanakhah-nama (Nasihat Nama) Samvat 1776 (1718-19 CE), ten years after the death of Guru Gobind Singh. The Prahilad Rai Rehat-nama

Sakhi Rehat ki: About 1735 CE

Chaupa Singh Rehat-nama: 1740-1765 CE (1700 CE according to Piara Singh Padam). Chaupa Singh was a member of the Guru's retinue. He was entrusted with the care of infant Gobind Das by Guru Tegh Bahadur. Some members of Chaupa Singh's family became martyrs with the Guru Tegh Bahadur in Delhi and others served under the 10th Guru.

Desa Singh Rehat-nama: late 18th century

Daya Singh Rehat-nama etc

jst like u, those people who have never even read guru granth sahib ji, will never know of wat rehat maryada even is. rehat maryada is not only written in rehatnamas, like i said, its how the guru's themselves lived. again, weak hearted people who cant handle that fact go about searching ways to changing rehat maryada. so it fits their own personal need.

this is a waste of a topic, its been discussed many times before. barfi bhaji, nobody has a gun to ur head, nobody is telling u how to live ur life, you can do as u wish, think wat u want. take quotes from wat ever u want, cuz most of the internet is a bunch of lies anyways.

i dont care who you are, if u have never done a sehaj paath of sri guru granth sahib ji, if u have never even looked at sri dasam granth, if u have no clue about sri sarbloh granth, u will know nothing about sikhi or sikh rehat maryada. period.

somebody close this pointless thread.

Anyhooo Amarjit Penji thanks for your post.....I have tried to find info about the 'first' Rehatnama compilation. Do you think you have any info on who compiled it and what was written in that one. Thanks

In 1950 the "Sikh Rehat Maryada" was finally approved. The document has been accepted as the official version which provides guidelines for all Sikh individuals and communities around the world. Its implementation has resulted in a high level of uniformity in the religious and social practices of Sikhism.

Sikh Rehat Maryada is based on earlier codes (Rehat namas), the earliest of them are:

Tanakhah-nama (Nasihat Nama) Samvat 1776 (1718-19 CE), ten years after the death of Guru Gobind Singh. The Prahilad Rai Rehat-nama

Sakhi Rehat ki: About 1735 CE

Chaupa Singh Rehat-nama: 1740-1765 CE (1700 CE according to Piara Singh Padam). Chaupa Singh was a member of the Guru's retinue. He was entrusted with the care of infant Gobind Das by Guru Tegh Bahadur. Some members of Chaupa Singh's family became martyrs with the Guru Tegh Bahadur in Delhi and others served under the 10th Guru.

Desa Singh Rehat-nama: late 18th century

Daya Singh Rehat-nama etc

Two most most important sources r Sakhi Rehat ki , Gurshoba ,Prasan uttar while sakhi rehat and prasan uttar are written by bhai nand lal singh ji a contemtnary and court poet of guru Gobind Singh ji gurshoba is written by senpati or mohkam singh who was also not a cort poet of guru ji but but a childhood friend of guru ji these writings covers the rehat apart from this conversation of guru nanak dev ji with pir bahrudin in mecca and directions to bhai mardana is also most important sources particulary with regard to unshorn hair.

Anyhooo Amarjit Penji thanks for your post.....I have tried to find info about the 'first' Rehatnama compilation. Do you think you have any info on who compiled it and what was written in that one. Thanks

The best place for you to go to in order to gain such knowledge is a santhiyaa class. I suggest you start reading Gurbaanee first though.

Jap Ji Sahib first..then go to Santhiyaa classes.

To be quite frank... Online forums and even websites (plus many books) are not the greatest for providing someone with the knowledge you wish to obtain.

...peace

Thanks for the replies. I understand rehat is a form of discipline. A method by which true associations are learnt. There are many verisions of Rehat ofcourse and much bickering in the Panth over what is correct. It is quite possible each simply brings you closer to the truth but none quite touch it. Like an exponential curve where it gets closer and closer to the true value but it never reaches the true value. Now, this is quite a deep thing but is Rehat just a tool, just like there are many ways to climb a mountain. Would you say Rehat is personal. Or do you think it should be one size fits all?

Thanks for the replies. I understand rehat is a form of discipline. A method by which true associations are learnt. There are many verisions of Rehat ofcourse and much bickering in the Panth over what is correct. It is quite possible each simply brings you closer to the truth but none quite touch it. Like an exponential curve where it gets closer and closer to the true value but it never reaches the true value. Now, this is quite a deep thing but is Rehat just a tool, just like there are many ways to climb a mountain. Would you say Rehat is personal. Or do you think it should be one size fits all?

For ordinary people there is no such thing as rehat they do as their mind tells them. They have no direction or guide they are lost and confused.

For the Panth rehat is one size fits all. The main rehat for the panth is Sri GUru Granth Sahib Ji, any Rehat that contradicts Gurmat cannot be considered rehat. Any rehat that supports Gurmat could be considered valid.

For example one rehatnama says

pRQm rihq Xih jwn KMfy kI pwhul Cky ] soeI isMG pRDwn Avr n pwhul jo ley ]

prathham rehith yehi jaan kha(n)ddae kee paahul shhakae ||asoee si(n)gh pradhhaan avar n paahul jo leae ||

To drink the Ambrosial Nectar of the Khanda (Amrit) is the primary instruction for the Sikh. He who abandons all other initiations is truly a great Sikh.

Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh

There is Gurvak that supports this rehat of offering your head at Amrit Sanchar.

siqgur AwgY sIsu Byt dyau jy siqgur swcy BwvY ]

sathigur aagai sees bhaett dhaeo jae sathigur saachae bhaavai ||

I place my head in offering before the True Guru, if it truly pleases the True Guru.

Awpy dieAw krhu pRB dwqy nwnk AMik smwvY ]4]1]

aapae dhaeiaa karahu prabh dhaathae naanak a(n)k samaavai ||4||1||

Take pity on me, O God, Great Giver, that Nanak may merge in Your Being. ||4||1||

Some clever people without a Guru try to say where does it say in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji to wear a kirpan or keep kes.

In Gurbani, Guru Ji mentions the brave warriors help the poor and fight injustice.

sUrw so pihcwnIAY ju lrY dIn ky hyq ]

sooraa so pehichaaneeai j larai dheen kae haeth ||

He alone is known as a spiritual hero, who fights in defense of religion.

purjw purjw kit mrY kbhU n CwfY Kyqu ]2]2]

purajaa purajaa katt marai kabehoo n shhaaddai khaeth ||2||2||

He may be cut apart, piece by piece, but he never leaves the field of battle. ||2||2||

How is one to fight injustice without any weapons?

All Gurmat based REhat could be found in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji if one take them time to search/investiage dive into Gurbani. For one to discover the inner meanings of Gurbani taking Amrit is a must, and searching the Gurshabad on a regular basis is a must.

gurU kw isK hovY, so AYsI rihq dI Kojxw krY, jyhVI rihq swihb KuSI AwvY

guroo kaa sikh hovai so aisee rehith dhee khojanaa karai jaeharree rehith saahib khushee aavai

The Sikh of the Guru should study Rehat and discipline and they should adopt those principles that please the Guru.

Rehatnama Bhai Chaupaa Singh Jee

Which is in relation to

jh dyKau qh nwil guir dyKwilAw ]

jeh dhaekho theh naal gur dhaekhaaliaa ||

Wherever I look, there the Guru has shown me that God is always with me.

AMqir bwhir Bwil sbid inhwilAw ]2]

a(n)thar baahar bhaal sabadh nihaaliaa ||2||

Searching inwardly and outwardly as well, I came to see Him, through the Word of the Shabad. ||2||

syvI siqgur Bwie nwmu inrMjnw ]

saevee sathigur bhaae naam nira(n)janaa ||

So serve the True Guru with love, through the Immaculate Naam, the Name of the Lord.

quDu BwvY iqvY rjwie Brmu Bau BMjnw ]3]

thudhh bhaavai thivai rajaae bharam bho bha(n)janaa ||3||

As it pleases You, so by Your Will, You destroy my doubts and fears. ||3||

If we are to consider Sri Guru Granth Sahib as our main rehat, then we consider it to be a mere tool to reach God. Since Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is our rehat we must understand rehat to be the orders of Akal Purakh.