Mind And What?

i always hear and read, dont follow ur mind yh

but how does one knw when one is following ones mind or is actualy going with baani says? sumtimes i try to think about it but it seems i think too much and i get myself all confused!

so if ny1 has any knowledge of gurbani/links to katha that i can listen to to clear up my doubt would b much appreciated.

The way I have heard that whatever you are about to do, put it in the weighing machine (takaRi) of Guru. See whatever you are about to do, if Guru will like it or not. Imagine Guru is standing right there, see if Guru would approve you doing it. If yes, Its Gurmat, if not, its manmat.

But we humans are very clever too, We do twist things as well. So somethings have very fine lines. Cann't help you there, as I myself am human and do make mistakes, tons of them.

That is an excellent question which until now I have not thought about.

I think when the thoughts are quick, unfocused, persuaded by bodily pleasures, and the thought are focuses on one self/ Eho then this is Manmat at influence. But when the mind is calm, focusing on the teachings or character of Guru with humility then this is Guru guiding you

Im no expert but the mind(ego) tries to attach itself to anything it can good or bad. Everyone is being run by there ego mind.

Try to stay aware, whenever a thoguht arises dont go deep into it, dont think and instead try to stay unattached to it just watch it come and watch it go. Slowly your thoughts will begin to disappear leaving you in a state of clarity.

Sat Sri Akal,

Dear Warrior Ji,

The bad qualities of the mind is the 5 thieves which include Lust, Anger, Greed, Attachment and Ego/Pride/Selfishness and desires, worldly wishes, back-biting, slandering others etc.

The good qualities are love for all, compassion, humility, selflessness, kindness, forgiveness, contentment, patience, truthfulness, single vision (seeing all as one and same) and many more.

Gurbani clearly tells us how we should live our lives, how we should be working on bringing these divine qualities into our daily lives and trying our best to avoid the bad side of the mind (bad side explained above)

So whatever actions we are doing daily takes into form of character so if we operating on the bad side of mind and not concentrating on the good qualities our character will be of a great manmukh (follower of the selfish mind), a living demon really in other words.

However if we are putting efforts and trying to concentrate on bringing divine qualities, doing seva, simran, trying to do it everyday, then we are heading towards Gurmat (Guru's wisdom)

They are both within us (Manmatt -selfish wisdom, evil wisdom etc) and Guru's wisdom (your heart really!) God lives in your heart, so lets live our heart everyday. what does our heart tell us to do? love, compassion, be kind, serve others, help others who need it, humilities and all these things!

It becomes hard for a ordinary person operating under selfish wisdom to get in track with the inner guru, so thats why outside guru becomes essential, so you can go ready SGGS and put the divine knowledge into practise everyday and then you are bound to suceed and get closer and closer to God living within you.

Above all, we really cant do all these things by ourselves, so we have to keep on doing constant prayers to Akal purakh, all the satgurus to give us the strength to do devotional worship, we need to keep on begging for divine qualities and confessing all our misdeeds, we need to keep on begging God for his bhagti, naam simran, seva and so on.

So just keep on doing your ardaas regularly to ekonkaar paar brahm parmeshar and try waking up early morning hours do your naam simran in your mind, keep on doing your seva at gurudwara or other voluntary work, keep on giving daswandh to charity (they say mouth of the poor is guru's moneybox). Go beyond sikhism as a religion because Guru ji's hukam is to see one god in all, irrespective of colour, cast, creed etc.

Surrendering with body, mind and wealth, one attains self-realisation, these are words of the guru sahibans, so lets keep on working towards putting these priceless words into practise. Lets keep on surrendering ourselfs to almighty, and you will start to see difference in you, surrendering completely plays an important and crucial role in bhagti.

So keep praying for gurus grace, keep on surrendering and get out of the shackles of maya, keep on increasing your love, faith and trust in God and gurus, concentrating on naam simran, bring the word of the guru (gurbani) into practise and soon you will start to see a big difference in yourself.

May god bless you with everything you need.

Thanks for listening, sorry for any offence caused, all this information belongs to Guru, we are nothing, guru himself is doer of everything.

guru rakha