Sikh Channel Requires Support!

Singh@

Again Singh, before asking for funds, the Channel needs to express what its shortfall is.

The number £50,000 has been mentioned, but we dont know what its for. As I said, from what visitors to the channel have mentioned the channel is run from the same building, using the same equipment and cameras etc as BritAsia. Since BritAsia seems to have survived for this long, how is it that Sikh Channel is struggling when it hasnt had to face the same type of overheads? I dont mean to be a pain, im just very curious about how the channel operates, since some of the singhs i know as well as others on this forum have struggled with the channel on a few points.

The cameramen that were recording at the Hyde park event said that they were all their on internships, i.e. working for free. So staff costs cant be all that much either it seems. The kirtani's that do live kirtan all do that free as well etc.

Personally i hope the channel does do great, but for it to deliver to the full potential, it needs to make sure that everything is honest and clear from day one. As one channel has opened, it will probably only be a period of time before someone else opens one (not me in case ur thinking lol i can barely afford the tv license to watch the tv at all!) and the more competition the better it will be for the sangat in regards to programming and variety. But if the channel seriously wants large investors/donations then it has to be open about its operations, it has this duty to the sangat at least.

:)

Fateh Singh Ji

I aggree that they should show accntz and were the money gna go! 100% agree.

Brit asia studio is actuly next door to the Sikh Channel one, what i mean in next door in that, the next room.

I wouldnt think that the crew is unpaid as they are full time emplyees.

Sales teams must also get paid.

If you just do a quic search on google "running a tv channel", the licesnez fees are about 40,000 and the 10.000 goes to builing cost, cams, LIVE prgs form the studio, IT, wages etc...

Fateh

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gurbani and parchaar is transparent enough. Stop chucking spanners in the works and putting doubt in peoples minds.

If you see no benefit from the medium of TV for some simple Sikh parchaar then you might as well keep moaning and making statements that sikhs make no effort in reaching the masses.

If you wanted to see accounts of every institute or entity then you might as well stop attending Gurdwaras and stop sending kids to Sikh academys because there's minimal transparency there.

im sorry mala but thats such a negative attitude!! why are so many people on this forum like that?

If there is a problem we should confront it and sort it out not ignore it or turn our backs on the situation what kind of Khalsa would we be if we abandoned the challenges that face us!!

if someone or something attacks our faith, our way of life we have to stand up fight back and then analyse the situation so we can take some preventative measures against further intrusions/corruptions.

also we SHOULD challenge all Sikh institutions to be totally transparent and not rest until they are!!

im sorry mala but thats such a negative attitude!! why are so many people on this forum like that?

If there is a problem we should confront it and sort it out not ignore it or turn our backs on the situation what kind of Khalsa would we be if we abandoned the challenges that face us!!

if someone or something attacks our faith, our way of life we have to stand up fight back and then analyse the situation so we can take some preventative measures against further intrusions/corruptions.

also we SHOULD challenge all Sikh institutions to be totally transparent and not rest until they are!!

Good. So start with your local Gurdwara committee. Then check those Panthic Jathebhandi's out. Then look into the accounts of our Granthis and review their expenses. Don't forget the interrogate the Ragi Kirtan jathas and see where the "peta" is being used. Get receipts from those Sants and samparday and ensure that their accounts are up to date. Come Khalsa Ji, lets start looking into the expenses of our own family, relative and mittars who are involved in anything remotly "sikh" and eradicate the 'corruption'. Better still...STOP putting money in Guru ji's golak until an audit trail is made transparent!

By the way I am being sarcastic, just incase you think I'm being serious. :huh:

Sarcastic??

i think what your doing is taking a very serious issue and turning it into a joke!

lets not get all Gestapo on the whole Sikh community, but rather create awareness about very real and very important issues that affect our Panth and our Sikhi on a personal level.

the ancient Chinese had a saying:

"to learn something good 1000 days are not enough but to learn something bad an hour is too much"

kalug is the hour.

Sikhi is the light, Sikhs themselves have burnt to keep this light aflame.

I am willing and prepared to sacrifice 1000 lifetimes for my beloved Sikhi, but im not prepared or willing to have the sacrifices of my brothers and sisters wasted and gambled away some cowardly, corrupt, and inept leaders/politicians/organisations.

the revolution is coming.........

Im sorry i wasnt are that doing something as simple as asking for a set of accounts/breakdown of costs and a constitution counted as either moaning, throwing a spanner into the works or anything else like that at all.

No offence but if a Channel demands money from sevadars who were doing Guru Granth Sahib Ji's final seva (last month following the fire in East London) for putting up a few seconds to allow the sangat to know about the programe... that says a lot to me. When that kind of thing happens, when were looking at one of the saddest occasions in our lives to date, and the owners can only see pound signs, then sorry but people will want to know about this kind of thing. Other Singhs arranging other events and programmes for the benefit of the sangat have also had bad experiences.

Nobody is expecting perfection, but unless there is a dialogue then thinks cannot get better. It is unfortunate that when your involved in seva you become privvy to conversations and issues which sangat is not aware of. Hence the polite requests for transparancy from the outset.

Apologies if this sounds negative, many of my friends are regular contributors to the channel and help out etc, so i have no issue with the channel in that sense. Just a few things which i believe should be made clear for the sangat, thats all.