Is the SGGS a Living Guru Or A Life Giving Guru ?

Most Sikhs I'm aware say that the SGGS is a 'Living Guru', whereas I feel very strongly that it is a 'Life Giving Guru'.....

Why, I hear everyone saying ?

Well, the Divine Scripture given 'within the SGGS' brings to light The Creator and His Works to all those willing to read and believe. This divine light brings salvation or 'ghati' from the bonds of birth and death. This to me is 'Life Giving'...!

In contrast, the majority have always been told to observe the SGGS as a 'Living Guru' and without question believe and follow this dictate. By performing the various rituals and ceremonies associated with the pracice of Sikhism do they then claim this to be 'Living'. Please correct me if I'm wrong here...but I dont see the 'Living' bit anywhere ! What bit of the SGGS is 'Living' or maybe even 'Dead' somehwere !

TRY NOT TO LOSE YOUR TEMPER WHEN REPLYING, AS I AM JUST AS IMPERFECT AS THE NEXT PERSON AND PRONE TO ERROR.

:umm:

Guest SikhForLife

im glad u asked that question as i myself asked a similar question on this forum a year or so ago..

SGGS is shabd guru.. immortal shabad as u mentioned in one of ur posts..

Bani is Amrit -undieing..

so living or dead is not a question..

however, i think ur question is more in line to why we treat SGGS as it was Guru Nanak

and to put in my 2 cents ..

baanee guroo guroo hai baanee

The Word, the Bani is Guru

oh and wat rituals do u speak of.. please clarify

Sat Sri Akal:

The ten human Gurus were manifested into this world and their most powerful weapon was that of the Word. Their word is what raised the dirt of a nation into shining diamonds more pristine than the Kings of the World. It was this Word that the Gurus not only spoke, but also enshrined into the Guru Granth Sahib for all time. When a person was in need of something in olden times, they sought the advice of the Guru and the Guru would offer them their most powerful gift...that of the Word. In times after the human form of the Gurus, that advice was sought from the Guru Granth Sahib. Taking the hukamnama from the Guru Granth Sahib is the same as listening to the Guru speak advice verbally. This power, this spiritual weapon, which was once embodied into human form of the ten Gurus, is not embodied in the Guru Granth Sahib.

The sewa done to the Guru Granth Sahib is done the same way as it was to the human Gurus because the same Light prevades in both. It is not empty ritual to fan the Guru Granth Sahib, to dress the Guru Granth Sahib and to bow to the Guru Granth Sahib...it is the exhitibing of love and respect for the Light which has been able to banish the ignorance of a human and replace it with humanity's true purpose, which is to become reunited with the Almighty.

Guest mehtab

ms514 veerjee ^_^

oops...i got more...from gurbani

pourree ||

sabh ko aakhai aapanaa jis naahee so chun kadteeai ||

keethaa aapo aapanaa aapae hee laekhaa sa(n)dteeai ||

jaa rehanaa naahee aith jag thaa kaaeith gaarab ha(n)dteeai ||

ma(n)dhaa kisai n aakheeai parr akhar eaeho bujheeai ||

moorakhai naal n lujheeai ||19||

Pauree:

All call You their own, Lord; one who does not own You, is picked up and thrown away.

Everyone receives the rewards of his own actions; his account is adjusted accordingly.

Since one is not destined to remain in this world anyway, why should he ruin himself in pride?

Do not call anyone bad; read these words, and understand.

Don't argue with fools. ||19||