Saif's Beard In Love Aaj Kal Stirs Religious Sentiments

SikhRoots

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Saif-s-b...timents/492592/

Saif Ali Khan's ‘Love Aaj Kal’ has been in news for all the right reasons. The film has a hot onscreen pair of Saif and Deepika, the music of the film is top of the charts and the promos of the film are definitely hinting that Imtiaz Ali has got a winner this time as well. However, the film has hit the troubled waters due to Saif's 'Sardar' look in the film.

Charan Singh Sapra, the President of Punjabi Cultural And Heritage Board has objected on Saif's beard look in the film, reasoning that Sardars do not sport a trimmed beard (as carried by Saif Ali Khan in the film). Sapra has also sent a memorandum to Saif Ali Khan, Imtiaz Ali and Dinesh Vijan regarding the same. Not just that, he also added that if the said look was not corrected, then, they (members of the Punjabi Cultural And Heritage Board) will be writing to all the major Sikh organizations to protest and stall the release of the film all over the country.

http://ptinews.com/news/199717_Differences-with-Sikh-body-resolved--Saif

Mumbai, July 28 (PTI) Actor Saif Ali Khan today said he had resolved differences with a Sikh body which raised objections over his portrayal of a Sikh in 'Love Aaj Kal'.

"The issue has been solved. I am extremely proud to play a noble and strong character. The community will also feel proud after seeing the film," the actor told reporters here.

The body had objected to the trimmed beard that Saif sports as a Sikh in the film, apart from a few other scenes set in a gurudwara, alleging that it hurt the sentiments of the community.

The actor, who was here to promote the romantic flick that is all set to hit theatres on July 31, said the role of a women in a love relationship had changed over the years.

"Women are no longer submissive. They are working and their careers are as important as men.

it hink that it is wrong the way they are presenting sikhs these day. but at least some people are start to sport turbans. something that no panthic organization has been able to do. "bollywood" has gotten people interested in sikhi while so many panthic organizations are failing. that is sad.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/entertainment/i-worked-very-hard-to-look-sikh-saif_100225106.html

The been refrain from Nagin in Love Aaj Kal has caught on like wildfire.

“I’m glad. Because my producer Dinesh Vijeyan chased it up obsessively and we paid a small fortune to get the rights for that music from Sa Re Ga Ma,” informs Saif.

Kareena predicted that music will play at every discotheque in the country.

Saif and his director Imtiaz Ali held a press conference at a Gurdwara in Mumbai on Wednesday, before Sikh heads and prominent members of federations.

Says Saif, “That’s the way they wanted it and we didn’t mind at all. As long as the Sikh community understands that our intentions are completely honourable, we didn’t mind doing anything to appease the sentiments of the Sikhs.

” Saif says he worked really hard to get the nuances of the Sikh character right. “Imtiaz and I didn’t want the character to be even slightly caricatural. We worked very, very, hard on the body language, and the speech. Then if the beard appeared not long enough, we couldn’t help it. Once people see the film they’ll know, there’s nothing to protest about. Everyone will be proud of me.”

But was the media interaction allowed in a Gurdwara?

Says Saif, “It wasn’t really inside the Gurdwara; but in an office, within the premise. We all met and sorted it out.”