Becarful Anyone

Guest fordcapri

Dear Babbar Sher,

I'm afraid the war started many hundreds of years ago. In 1947 when Pakistan was created other minorities accounted for 25% of the population that figure is down to 1% now!

Read the article below and please tell us your perspective but in a respectful manner as I have addressed you with respect as a fellow Sikh.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8196013.stm?ad=1

BBC NEWS

Sectarian violence hits Pakistani town

By Aleem Maqbool

BBC News, Gorja, Pakistan

On a street in the small Punjabi town of Gojra, house after house stands gutted and looted.

One home in particular is the focus of attention. The windows and doors are gone, what is left of the furniture lies gnarled inside, and some of the ceilings have collapsed. People are peering into a small bedroom at the back of the building.

It is from here that the charred bodies of six members of the Hameed family, from Pakistan's minority Christian community, were recovered. The youngest of the dead was four-year-old Mousa.

We found his father, Almass Hameed, 49, in a crowded hospital ward nearby.

'Shocked and crying'

"He was such a bright boy. His teachers complained that he was cheeky at times, but nobody could doubt how clever he was. But now he's gone," Mr Hameed said, breaking down.

It was like the most horrific movie. They destroyed our lives

Almass Hameed

He described how an angry Muslim mob came through the area, known here as the Christian Colony.

"I think there were thousands," he said. "My elderly father went out to see what was happening and they shot and killed him. We were all shocked and crying. Before we knew it, they were breaking into the house."

Mr Hameed explained how he and nine other members of the family hid in the bedroom as the house was over-run.

"We could hear them smashing everything and dividing our belongings amongst themselves," he said. "Then they started beating on the door saying they would teach us a lesson and burn us alive."

Soon after, a fire was raging through his house.

"We just couldn't breathe," he said. "I grabbed my eldest son and managed to get out of the room through the flames, my brother came out with one of my daughters, but the rest were stuck and we had no way of rescuing them."

As well as his father and Mousa, Mr Hameed lost his 11 year-old daughter, his wife, a brother, a sister-in-law and her mother.

"It was like the most horrific movie. They destroyed our lives."

'Fired shots'

Tensions had risen after allegations that Christians in the nearby village of Korrian had torn up and burnt pages of the Koran at a wedding a few days earlier.

"They started it," 19-year-old Omar Ali Raza said in Gojra's marketplace.

"We Muslims are the victims. We gathered to protest about what they did to the Koran in Korrian and just wanted to walk through their area, but they threw stones at us and fired shots."

"Of course it is bad that Christians died," he added. "But they provoked the Muslims here. I don't understand why everyone is on their side."

But an elderly Muslim man passing by interrupts. "The responsibility is with the one who actually burns the Koran, not all Christians," he said. "Here, we live together, and there were no problems before this."

As it happens, a local police chief, Ahmed Javaid, said he believed the claim that Christians desecrated the Koran was not true in the first place.

"Yes, pieces of paper had been cut up to look like money at a Christian wedding, but they were not pages of the Koran," he said.

"However, the rumour spread and the issue became politicised."

Very soon after the allegations from Korrian surfaced, politicians from several parties held large rallies denouncing Christians in the area, calling for action. These were not just politicians from expressly right-wing Islamist parties.

PML-N leaders have visited Gojra in recent days, expressing solidarity with minority communities. But Christians here say they are sceptical.

They accuse the party and others of having previously taken advantage of anti-Christian feelings rather than helping to calm things down.

'Rare' violence

Senator Pervaiz Rashid, at the headquarters of the Nawaz party, told me it was very serious in its commitment to minority rights.

"We acknowledge there were problems in Gojra, and it is an embarrassment," he said. "However, it was an isolated incident and the local president, Qadeer Awan, has now had his party membership suspended."

"I do not believe that there are any other local politicians in our party involved in such activities."

Violence of this scale against Pakistan's estimated three million strong Christian community may be rare (this is the worst such incident in seven years), but complaints of discrimination are certainly commonplace.

The government says it has opened an inquiry into what happened in Gojra, but Asma Jahangir, the chairperson of the Human Rights Commission, is not expecting the type of change she thinks is needed.

"For too long the Pakistani state has protected people with extremist views," she said.

"It is not just political parties. There are radicalised individuals, and supporters of militant groups within the judiciary, the education system, the bureaucracy and police as well."

This was not the vision of Pakistan held by its founder, Muhammad Ali Jinnah.

"Minorities, to whichever community they may belong, will be safeguarded. Their religion or faith or beliefs will be secure," he said just weeks before Pakistan's creation in 1947.

"They will be, in all respects, the citizens of Pakistan without any distinction of caste or creed."

But as Pakistan prepares to mark its independence day, many of its citizens do not see any cause for celebration.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/south_asia/8196013.stm

Published: 2009/08/12 00:57:55 GMT

© BBC MMIX

Dear Babba Sher,

When Moslems have killed all Infidels/Kaffir they will then turn on each other!

BBC NEWS

Pakistanis shot at Somali mosque

At least five Pakistanis have been killed in a dawn attack at a mosque in Somalia's semi-autonomous Puntland region, witnesses say.

Armed men in masks entered a mosque in Galkayo and ordered six Pakistanis and one Somali outside, they said.

The gunmen then opened fire, killing five men and seriously injuring two.

Those targeted are said to be preachers from a religious sect. Puntland has been tense recently, but the reason for the latest attack is unclear.

The Pakistanis are thought to be missionaries from an Islamic sect called Tabliq who arrived in Galkayo on Tuesday.

Warning

Correspondents say it is common for groups of foreign preachers to spend several months travelling in Somalia on missionary work.

Tabliq is known to be peaceful. Six religious leaders from the sect were killed in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, in 2008, during fighting between Ethiopian troops supporting the government and Islamist militants.

In Galkayo, security forces cordoned off the area after the shooting and were conducting house-to-house searches.

Somalia has been without an effective central government since 1991 and has recently been riven by fighting between Islamist insurgents and government troops.

The security situation in Puntland has been tense after the recent killing of an information minister.

Pirates operating off the Somali coast are based in the northern region, but it has seen less violence than the rest of the country.

However, a report from International Crisis Group released on Wednesday warned that if the government did not enact reforms, the region could break up violently.

It said that friction within the Harti clan had undermined formerly consensual politics in Puntland, meaning that grievances including poverty, poor governance and corruption had not been tackled.

Did you witness the attack? If you have any information that you would be willing to share with the BBC News website, please send us your details using the postform below.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/world/africa/8196740.stm

Published: 2009/08/12 10:51:27 GMT

© BBC MMIX

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Symbols-of-race-hate-daubed.5548902.jp

Symbols of race hate daubed on Sikh temple

Published Date: 13 August 2009 Racists have daubed far-Right extremist logos and a swastika on the side of a Sikh temple in Northampton. The graffiti has appeared on a wall of the gurdwara and ramgarhia centre in Craven Street in The Mounts, and features the letters NF – standing for National Front – and makes offences comments to the Sikh community.

It is thought the damage was caused at some point during the night between Tuesday, August 11 and yesterday morning.

Anjona Roy, chief executive of the Northamptonshire Rights and Equality Council, said reports of racist graffiti were on the rise in the county.

She said: "The year before last, this would have been completely unheard of. But we are hearing of this type of racist graffiti, which has political far-Right undertones, more and more often.

"This is a deliberate act, designed to intimidate not just the members of the Sikh community but also other communities living in what is a very diverse part of town.

"There is a synagogue and Muslim prayer centres within a stone's throw of the gurdwara, and this graffiti will have an enormous impact on all of them."

The graffiti has appeared days after what was believed to be a racist fight on The Racecourse.

Paul Varnsverry (Lib Dem, West Hunsbury), Northampton Borough Council's cabinet member for communities, said: "This is completely unacceptable and of course it does not reflect the vast majority of people living in Northampton. Community relations in the town are generally exceptionally good.

"Unfortunately there is a tiny minority of narrow-minded bigots who think this type of expression is acceptable. It is not."

He added the borough council dealt with racist graffiti as "a matter of priority" and vowed offensive messages would be removed within 24 hours of them being reported to the authority.

Paul Crofts, of Northamptonshire West Hate Incident Forum, told the Chronicle & Echo: "In my view, this is a form of terrorism, designed purely to intimidate people of all religions and those of no religion.

"To paint a swastika on a place of worship is despicable."

The temple graffiti had been removed by 3pm yesterday.

The full article contains 361 words and appears in Northampton Chron & Echo newspaper. Page 1 of 1 <br clear="all">

• Last Updated: 12 August 2009 8:26 PM
  • Source: Northampton Chron & Echo

BBC NEWS

MP defends Muslim wedding walkout

A government minister has defended his decision to walk out of a Muslim wedding in east London because he was told he must sit apart from his wife.

Jim Fitzpatrick, food, farming and environment minister, left a ceremony at London Muslim Centre, Whitechapel.

The MP for Poplar and Canning Town told the BBC the segregation showed a degree of intolerance in the East End.

But a spokesman for the centre said the segregation was at the request of the couple getting married.

Mr Fitzpatrick, whose constituency is home to a large Muslim community, blamed the tough stance on the Islamic Forum of Europe (IFE) - a controversial organisation that calls for Sharia law - which is based in the same building.

“ The vast number of my Muslim constituents who've contacted me have expressed sympathy ”

Jim Fitzpatrick MP

He told the BBC's Today: "This is a very exceptional occasion, it's a new occurrence.

"It perhaps demonstrates that there is a degree of intolerance - certainly exclusion rather than inclusion which we are trying to build in the East End."

Mr Fitzpatrick added: "Certainly the vast number of my Muslim constituents who've contacted me have expressed sympathy that I was placed in this predicament."

Mohammad Shakir, a spokesman for the centre, said: "Segregated weddings have always been popular in the Muslim community - the London Muslim Centre has facilitated them for over five years.

"It is part of the attraction for Muslim families so they can celebrate their happy day in a religious atmosphere.

"We have always allowed non-Muslim guests to be seated together without segregation, but this is entirely at the discretion of the families who hire the halls."

A selection of your comments may be published, displaying your name and location unless you state otherwise in the box below.

Story from BBC NEWS:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/london/8201461.stm

Published: 2009/08/14 12:35:44 GMT

© BBC MMIX

We need to act against the northampton racists.

Spraying racist graffiti on a Gurdwara is not acceptable.

Does any1 here live near Northampton?

Why have the sikh community been so silent about this?

These things allways go unreported and its got to change.

If we know there is racist graffs being put on a gurdwara where there is not a large sikh community then we need to let this be known.

We should contact the Gurdwara comitee and ask them if these racist incidents involving the gurdwara are regular occurances.

Police arent doing enough to tackle these racist NF/bnp swatsika graffing chavs so its time sikhs got together and did.

The Gurdwara in Bow which was attacked had racist graffs on the wall but we didnt learn about those until the attack. Every little thing needs to be reported so we know that there is tension in the area and able sikhs nearby need to do something about it before it escalates.

Shame on those who still support BNP.