Naam Simran - The Ultimate Way To Khalsa Raaj

Mehtab Singh

A lot of arguing and debating has been going on with regards to whether having our own raaj would be a good idea or not. Many have been stressing on sticking to the core of Sikh philosophy which is Naam Simran. Using the words of some few Gurmukhs, I am going to try to draw parallels here. Anyone and everyone is free to correct me in any way wherever they feel I am wrong.

In the past, Sikhs have had their own raaj at one point. It is said that Gurujee Himself blessed the Panth with its own raaj as at that point of time the sons of Gurujee were worthy ones. Like Sant Ranjit Singh Dhaddrianwale once pointed out, if a son is capable, the father hands him all keys to his assets and doesn't ask for any report. But if he is a useless brat, then every penny needs to be accounted for. At that point in history when we had our own raaj, the Singhs at the forefront were chardi kala Naam abhiyasi Gurmukhs who had their Nitnems upto 12 hours a day. Sadly that is not very much the case today.

Next comes the concept of Naam Simran. First and foremost, what is the reason for doing Naam Simran? The first thing that comes to my mind is the following bachans of Bhagat Trilochan ji

AMiq kwil nwrwiexu ismrY AYsI icMqw mih jy mrY ]

a(n)th kaal naaraaein simarai aisee chi(n)thaa mehi jae marai ||

At the very last moment, one who thinks of the Lord, and dies in such thoughts,

bdiq iqlocnu qy nr mukqw pIqMbru vw ky irdY bsY ]5]2]

badhath thilochan thae nar mukathaa peetha(n)bar vaa kae ridhai basai ||5||2||

says Trilochan, that man shall be liberated; the Lord shall abide in his heart. ||5||2||

By constantly repeating His Name, it becomes our nature, and no matter when our last moment comes, we leave this mortal body reciting His Name.

Another reason is to become one with Vaheguru. How does that happen. Again, listening to kathas, I have heard that after a certain avastha, you start hearing simran inside yourself, and the next avastha you hear it even outside, from trees, clouds, and your surrounding environment. Those who don't believe in Naam Simran and its blessing will not understand this part. Once the individual is at this stage, he/she won't have to make any effort or "do" it, rather Naam Simran will "happen" itself. He/she will hear it inside, outside, all the time. Ultimatelt, the soul drop merges with the ocean Vaheguru. These were just the 2 reasons (out of the other countless ones) for Naam Simran that I could come across right now.

Both Bhai Rama Singh Ji and Sant Attar Singh Ji Mastuane waale emphasized on the fact that the Panth would get its raaj only if everyone was a Khalsa in the genuine sense. Again, they gave a lot of importance of Naam Simran done at Amritvela. Sant Hari Singh Ji Randhaawe waale has detailed in one of his kathas that puratan Shaheed Singhs are waiting for the right time to return and fight for Khalsa Raaj. He said this based on a personal encounter of Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale with puratan Shaheed Singhs.

Now I want to talk a bit about what Maskeen ji says on a similar issue. Maskeen ji says that based on the sanskaars of a soul, it is born to parents of similar sanskaars. Those who are highly paapi, or highly chardi kala have to wait for a really long time to be born, as it takes ages for such a highly chardi kala mother or a low-life witch to be available as a mother to such souls. Now keeping in mind the words of Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Khalsa Bhindranwale, the puratan Shaheed Singhs would need a highly chardi kala mother to be able to be born again.

So here is the solution (again, this is my opinion only). If Sikhs want Khalsa Raaj, all Sikhs would have to take Amrit and become pure Khalsa, keep maximum rehit, and do maximum Naam Simran as well maximum path of Gurbani. Why do I say that? Because once that happens, firstly we will become the worthy children of Gurujee whom He will bless with raaj just as He did to the Singhs back in the good old days. Secondly, if a time comes when we are demanded to sacrifice our heads, none of the rehitvaan Gurmukhs would turn back, and would go ahead happily to give up their lives. And trust me, the shaheedi of a rehitvaan Gurmukh never goes waste, we all are well aware of that. The third reason is that even if we don't get raaj immediately, and even if we don't get a chance to drink the elixir of martyrdom, then at least some of us, the rare blessed ones, could reach an avastha where they could become the worthy parents of the Shaheed Singhs who are waiting to return.

These are just my own thoughts. I firmly believe that Naam Simran done by pooran Khalsa Gurmukhs is the most important, topmost, and highest priority requirement that needs to be fulfilled in order to achieve Khalsa Raaj, in order to become worthy of it, and in order to be able to fight for it. The ones who don't want us to reach there are hell bent on trying to jeopardize our Panth, our faith in Gurbani, and our unity in every possible way.

Please share your thoughts, inputs, comments, and don't hesitate to correct me wherever you may feel that I am incorrect.

~ Mehtab Singh

Well put. Although in today's world of kalyug it becomes hard to remember the one we should be remembering, so much pressure from society, pressure from parents, pressure from education, etc. It is important to keep tally of how much you can do rather than complain of what we cannot do. It's important to make use of the time we have wisely.

Getting into the pure Khalsa mode is quite hard as it is but not impossible, when you have your own people syping on you. Then you have alot of other issues to worry about. Issues like your own 'amritdhari' so called 'friend' and 'brothers' in life keeping an close eye on whats happening around the world you live in. What you (OP) have typed makes alot of sense, putting it into practise is quite a difficult thing to do.....

I firmly believe that Naam Simran done by pooran Khalsa Gurmukhs is the most important

I disagree. I believe anyone can do it. Everyone has the one in them and around them. I see why you have said this too. It all add up to what we did in our 'picchle karam', however we shouldn't soullessly rely on that too.

I disagree. I believe anyone can do it. Everyone has the one in them and around them.
Ofcourse everyone can, and should. This is not a match between "superior" Amritdharis and "inferior" non-Amritdharis. But when you are talking about "KHALSA" raaj, then there are certain things to be kept in mind and should abide by, don't you think?
I see why you have said this too. It all add up to what we did in our 'picchle karam', however we shouldn't soullessly rely on that too.
That also makes sense as Gurujee can erase all our sins in an instant.

But when you are talking about "KHALSA" raaj, then there are certain things to be kept in mind and should abide by, don't you think?

Do tell these 'certain things'...... as it depends on what these certain things are......

That also makes sense as Gurujee can erase all our sins in an instant.

Agreed.

Fateh parwaan karro jiyo,

As all are well aware our Gurus never fought for 'zarr, zoroo or zameen'. They fought for upholding righteousness.

I feel Khalistan is within us and for Khalsa Raj we have to follow Guruji's Hukam in its totality.

Today Punjab has moved away from Guruji's teachings. Patitpunna ( cutting kess), drugs addiction , alcoholism are on the rise. Imagine in the lap of Sikhism this is the sorry state.

What is needed today is Sikh Jathas going to villages and holding Sikhi camps. In these camps there should be medical, education and profession guidance. Turban tying classes. Katha and Kirtan. Screening of animated works like Sahibzaade. Distribution of Sikh literature ( including animated booklets like Amar Chitra Katha on Sikhism)and Langar.

Punjab has to be won back by bringing Sikhi back in Punjab.

Guru Rakha

Do tell these 'certain things'...... as it depends on what these certain things are......

I'll let you define "Khalsa" first. After that, answer my question as to why even Kalgidhar Patshah had to ask for Amrit from the Panj Pyaare? People say "Why take Amrit, its your heart that should be pure." Are they implying that Kalgidhar Patshah's heart was not pure? Its really simple if you think about it. Rather than admitting their own nature (I won't say weakness/flaw/drawback because that would mean judging and putting down someone) which doesn't really let them get to a stage of taking Amrit, people like to nullify the significance of taking Amrit altogether. The simple things here are to follow the very first Rehit of a Sikh as per Bhai Gurdas Ji (I think it was Bhai Gurdas Ji) "pritham Rehit yeh jaan, Khandey ki pahul shakhey", which makes it further clear. This is not meant to degrade those who haven't taken Amrit, because even that is against Gurujee's Hukam. Other not-so-simple things include following the Rehit to the max, both internally and externally after taking Amrit. Last question, are you Amritdhari?

Khalsa for me is being pure internally & externally. When a khalsa talks, all their words vibrate with a message from vaheguru. Well that's the way I see a 'khalsa'. I was simply asking what are these certain things. Surely there must be quite a few you could let us know....Why are you talking about the significance of Amrit?.....unless you think one needs to take amrit in order to become a khalsa? daas ne Khanda ki pahul shhakki heh.

Although I agree with:

people like to nullify the significance of taking Amrit altogether

At the same time one shouldn't force another to take amrit, by saying things like 'Amrit is all there is to be...'. Amrit is the begining, keeping the rehit is the commitment to guru ji. Remeber we are not taking amrit for the worng reasons, only to become one the the ultimate one.

Khalsa for me is being pure internally & externally. When a khalsa talks, all their words vibrate with a message from vaheguru. Well that's the way I see a 'khalsa'. I was simply asking what are these certain things. Surely there must be quite a few you could let us know....Why are you talking about the significance of Amrit?.....unless you think one needs to take amrit in order to become a khalsa? daas ne Khanda ki pahul shhakki heh.

Although I agree with:

people like to nullify the significance of taking Amrit altogether

At the same time one shouldn't force another to take amrit, by saying things like 'Amrit is all there is to be...'. Amrit is the begining, keeping the rehit is the commitment to guru ji. Remeber we are not taking amrit for the worng reasons, only to become one the the ultimate one.

Forcing Amrit on anyone is outright unacceptable. And you are right, thats a wrong reason. Your definition of Khalsa also makes sense. I have already listed out the "certain things". Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying that non-Amritdharis or even non-Sikhs are to be considered inferior. I would be the last person to say that as I was both in the past, a non-Sikh and a non-Amritdhari. Does one need to take Amrit to become Khalsa? I think we all know the answer to that. Depending on one's definition of Amrit, and definition of Khalsa, this response would vary as well. There are no set standard responses to such questions. But yes, if we go by what Gurbani says, or what the Rehitnaame or Bhai Gurdas Ji's vaars say, we wouldn't have any doubts left. I would never put down a non-Sikh or non-Amritdhari just because they are different from me. In fact it is the duty of every Amritdhari to put himself/herself as "sabhna ki renn ka", and not come out as a hankaari.

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakaal!

Dear all and Mehtab Singh Jee!

Please explain it.

A person does Simran of something else whole life. How does he switch over to the Simran of Narayan before death?

Balbir Singh

Pray good digestion for all and say Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I guess he/she would have to do Ardas. Simran is a daat from Gurujee and can be received as a blessing only by His Grace.