Dhamala Maryada

AM4R

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

does anyone know the maryada for a dhumala?

i'v got katha by Baba Nihal Singh ji and they said that you got to sit with your legs crossed and put 2 kanags and 5 shastar in ur bunga, but i heard from someone that you aren't allowed to half you dastar material, when you tie a dhumala the material has to be full with.

i just wanted to know if this was true or not?

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh

i asked a canadian nihung singh that carries shasters at all times on how he ties his dumala like does he sit and he says he ties it everywhere, so as basically it doesnt matter,

and for dumala you wrap your hair in dastar material

the du in dumala means 2, so you have to have atleast 2 dastars like one wraped in hair and then on top,

and check out the nihung rehat topic because theres gotta be sumthing bout the dumala in there its a 9 page topic in the same section of this forum gurbani/Rehat

so this is from the other thread written by laadli fauj about why its better to sit and tie dumala:

"if ur standing, ur dastar is eiteron the ground, touching ur bastar, potentially hanging down and touchingur kachhairaa/pants/pajaama/pajaami (all considered joothe)

ur also probably using a mirror which is why you have to stand, many if not most nihang singhs don't use mirrors to jhulaa their dumalle

in lotus, ur generally more mentally and physically in sehaj, its the standard position for tapp, meditations etc

also easier to cover your legs/kachhairaa/pajaami with a hajooriyaa.

tying your dumalla is a sacred thing, standing, walking around, sitting in a chair, or laying down doesn't keep that sanctity. sitting down in lotus, you're generally more sehaj mentallyspiritually and able to focus

plus a nihang singh looks SOO much more cooler sitting down without a mirror, reciting dumalle de salok, while jhulaaing a dumalla than he does if he's standing up with his dastaar all over the place using a mirror

note: im not criticizing anyone for standing while they tie their dastaare, i promise you wont go to hell for it. just messin about "

In Nihung rehat it says to put hazoorya on ur lap then dastar can lay there as you tie it and when you take it off you take it off one paych at a time one larh at a time not like a hat,

and the blue has to be in your kesh so u can tie other khalsa colours on top,

Yeah Bhai Sahib Dastar should be original width (not cut in half).

if u want to know if its true, practise this puratan tradition. The best way to learn is to stay with the nihang singh in the dal, not to ask someone over the internet. With the singhs you can see the maryada and live it.

you shouldnt half ur dumalla,

you should always take ur dumalla off lar by lar, and cchand it before re-tying.

you should always sit crossed legged,

you should have your panj shastar in the bunga/keski,

you should have a hajooria cover ur legs as your dastaar/kesh shouldnt touch ur kachera,

you dont have to have 2 kangas, nihang singhs do as one may break,

you dont have to read dumalla da salok, thats more for farladharis, just do ur nitnem while tying ur dastaar/getting ready or whatever.

i would say stick to the mareyada 5 peyare told you ... dont change it as per ur thinking whats better or not that would be insult to the punj peyare who gave u amrit ... if you want to change ur mareyada like keeping shasters in your hair ... search about it ... and take amrit again and let punj peyare command you to do that ...